Old 04-01-2019, 10:56 AM   #1

Shower Water Miser Letting Air into Water Lines

Someone in a Facebook group had an issue with air getting into the water filter housing and not allowing the water system to pressurize. The FR Tech Dept said the shower miser could have a bad seal and let air into the lines. I was under the impression the water miser put the rerouted water back into the fresh tank but the diagram shows otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56242467_10215095061598158_1626122507150950400_n.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	200424  

aguyandhiscomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

Don't get that. The whole purpose of the thing is to re-direct water from the hot water line back into the fresh tank until the water gets hot enough to use.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguyandhiscomputer View Post
Someone in a Facebook group had an issue with air getting into the water filter housing and not allowing the water system to pressurize. The FR Tech Dept said the shower miser could have a bad seal and let air into the lines. I was under the impression the water miser put the rerouted water back into the fresh tank but the diagram shows otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Don't get that. The whole purpose of the thing is to re-direct water from the hot water line back into the fresh tank until the water gets hot enough to use.
Back to the fresh tank or back to the fresh tank suction line is the same thing.
Regardless, the pump is using recirculated water and not wasting fresh water by dumping it down the shower drain until the water gets hot.

The only thing putting water back into the suction line brings (vs pumping water into the tank) is the 'possibility' of having a place for an air leak on the suction side of the pump. (as mentioned)

EDIT: So, the next question is going to be... "why not just pump it back to the tank?"

Because fresh tanks can (and often are) far away from the pump and the shower.
It simply makes more sense to use short plumbing lines from the shower to the pump than all the way to the tank.

On my current 5th wheel, the fresh tank is 30' from the pump and the shower.
My pump is directly under the shower in the basement. It would take about 4' of hose vs 30' to install a shower miser in my rig.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=51
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
It's definitely a better way to get the already hot water back into the lines instead of it pouring into the fresh tank where it has to be reheated but the way it is routed it adds complexity and adds another seal that can leak and add air to the system so it won't pressurize.
aguyandhiscomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:05 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

Well, it's good to be aware of this in case I start having any issues. I have the shower mizer installed from factory.

Tags
water, show, shower