Old 10-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #1

ShurFlo pump leaking

One more problem to tackle and hopefully this is it for now. I know alot of people will say the same thing about boats too. I have heard the expression there are two good days when you buy a boat or an RV. The day you buy it and the day you sell it.

My wife is beginning to find truth in it but, I still haven't given up.

When I bought the trailer 2006 Flagstaff 831RLSS, I knew the water pump wasn't working properly. It wasn't a show stopper for me as I picked up the camper for such a great deal and I am pretty handy.

I began tackling to issue today. The pump wasn't shutting off and the pressure is VERY minimal out of the faucets when coming from the FW tanks. I discovered two things.

1. When the tanks were filled FW and Water Heater, I began getting water out of the city connection to the outside. I suspect it's a bad connection and will just replace it.

2. I found a pretty substantial leak coming out of the pump housing itself.

I have searched the old posts on this forum and others and nothing is really concrete.

I suspect, I just need to get a rebuild kit for the pump itself. If it is pumping fine and just leaking, I assume this is what the problem is. Because, it was leaking I would assume that is why it would run constantly.

Hopefully, I answered my own questions.

Just wondering if anyone else ever had their pump leaking at the housing and what they did.

Is it worth just replacing the entire pump with a new one?

Thanks again for all the help in advance.

ShurFlo 2088-403-144 is the model.

-Chris

Old 10-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Yep, had a ShurFlow leaking from the housing. Bought a new one and threw the old one away.

1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #3

ShurFlo 2088-403-144
$83 from Amazon with free shipping and no tax.
LINK

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #4

Well, it looks like I will be ordering a new one. I took the old one apart to see if I could clean it up and then put it back together just for a real temporary repair. Searching some other forums and websites some folks had luck for a quick repair.

It turns out that I have a crack in the housing. This would explain most likely the root cause of the issue.

I am thinking of going with the Revolution series (thanks Iggy) for the link above. I found it for $73 shipped from PPL. I'm going to double check local dealers tomorrow but, I doubt they'll be able to touch that price.

Thanks again!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagstaffer06 View Post
Well, it looks like I will be ordering a new one. I took the old one apart to see if I could clean it up and then put it back together just for a real temporary repair. Searching some other forums and websites some folks had luck for a quick repair.

It turns out that I have a crack in the housing. This would explain most likely the root cause of the issue.

I am thinking of going with the Revolution series (thanks Iggy) for the link above. I found it for $73 shipped from PPL. I'm going to double check local dealers tomorrow but, I doubt they'll be able to touch that price.

Thanks again!
One thing to remember, you need to count the number of fixtures it will supply, some pumps are good for 1or2,or3and4. If you buy one to small it will run alot with little pressure if you open more then one fixture at a time
Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #6

Thanks for the response. The revolution series is the new pump out from ShurFlo. It is a 4 chamber pump at 3GPM. My old pump was 2.8GPM. According to Shurflo's website and some others as well, this is the preferred replacement for my pump.

Hoping to get lucky with a local dealer so I don't have to wait for shipping.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagstaffer06 View Post
Thanks for the response. The revolution series is the new pump out from ShurFlo. It is a 4 chamber pump at 3GPM. My old pump was 2.8GPM. According to Shurflo's website and some others as well, this is the preferred replacement for my pump.

Hoping to get lucky with a local dealer so I don't have to wait for shipping.
Sounds like you did your homework !!!!!!...
Old 10-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #8

I bet the previous owner did a poor winterizing job!
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre View Post
I bet the previous owner did a poor winterizing job!
I agree! Youroo!!
Old 10-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #10

Yes, he didn't know much about RVing or taking care of certain things. The good thing is that the trailer has hardly seen any use and the inside is immaculate. He took care of the outside things that needed attention but, things like winterizing and little upkeep here and there he didn't seem to know anything about. When I went to look at the trailer, I knew more about how the systems operated and where things were then he did.

Checked two RV shops in the area the cheapest price on the Revolution (new Shurflo replacement) was $120 compared to $73 shipped online. I like to give local businesses some business but, I am not sure how they compete sometimes on the parts side.

Thanks again for everyone's help!