Old 04-29-2016, 08:07 PM   #1

Sinks dripping from drains?

I noticed the sinks in my 2015 Shamrock 233s hybrid all seem to have a small leak from under the sink. I felt around and am pretty sure it is water getting between the sink and the drain. I know on residential drains you put plumbers putty under and tighten down the drain. I haven't taken the drain off yet but wanted to ask folks how these camper drains are sealed up. Should I find plumbers putty or some other sealant in there?

I also had water leaking from my kitchen faucet. Took it apart and found that the o-rings weren't seated right. So, I'm not all that impressed with FR quality of plumbing at this point.

2015 Shamrock 233S
2007 Expedition EL Eddie Bauer

2016 Nights Camped = 22
2017 Nights Camped = 11
PEAS_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:14 PM   #2

Easy fix then? I get that it should've been right to begin with.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:15 PM   #3

I would just go ahead and re-do the drain. Was it sealed at the factory??? It's supposed to be, but it depends on the brain surgon who installed it, and his level of compentancy, as to weather or not it was done.
In your shoes, I would recheck all drains, and all the water connections to make sure their installed (re...not cross threaded) and tight.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:24 PM   #4

Thanks guys. These are two different issues. I fixed the faucet but not the drains yet. I am definitely going to check the drains. I wanted to ask those in the know what I should expect to find when I unscrew the drains. Are camper drains typically sealed with plumbers putty like residential sinks? Just not sure if camper sinks are different.

2015 Shamrock 233S
2007 Expedition EL Eddie Bauer

2016 Nights Camped = 22
2017 Nights Camped = 11
PEAS_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
I would just go ahead and re-do the drain. Was it sealed at the factory??? It's supposed to be, but it depends on the brain surgon who installed it, and his level of compentancy, as to weather or not it was done.
In your shoes, I would recheck all drains, and all the water connections to make sure their installed (re...not cross threaded) and tight.
Grumpy
Had the same problem, found no putty or sealant at the strainer under the lip plus the big nut was just hanging on the pipe wasn't even tighten up. My granddaughter said to me what stinks grandpa, I never smelled it, and no real water dripping to see it in the box that the cleaning supplies are kept under it. GREAT QC.... PS: also the weak point for water pressure are all the fixtures they are plastic and held together with "O" rings, That's why some people buy HD new faucets.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:24 PM   #6

May be missing a rubber gasket. I had a chronic problem with kitchen sink. Turned out to be a small crack. Had to replace the pipe.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:31 PM   #7

I reseated my drains and pipes. No seals and no O-rings in the drain connections. I also noticed water coming from a bad cement job on a pvc joint. I put epoxy around the bad cement job and used plumbers putty (for plastic pipes) on all of the other connections. No more leaks.

Read the label on the putty. There is a difference. One says "not for use on plastic." The other says "safe for use on plastic." I do have a plumber friend and he says the one not to be used on astic will takes years before it can cause issues, but I didn't want to have to do it again anytime in the future. Just be sure to put a bucket or large bowl underneath the pipes as you remove them.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #8

Had the same problem. Fixture had no rings or gaskets. Used plumber's putty. That worked for about 3 days. Said on the plumbers putty can not to use on plastic which my drain is made of. Went to a local dealer and got the proper white foam O rings. That fixed the problem.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #9

Had the same problem. The sink strainers are all plastic. Replaced with stainless steel from home center, plumbers putty new seals. No more leaks.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:08 PM   #10

Same for us

We had same problem on our 2015 Sandpiper 35ROK. Had dealer fix it when I took it in shortly after purchasing. They made a mess of the drains and they still leaked. Tightened them myself. All well now

Tags
drain