Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #1

Siphon hose for antifreeze

Sadly, I started winterizing our Wildwood 17EXL for the winter. I have drained and bypassed the water heater, blown out all the water lines including toilet and drained water fromthe low point drains. I was surprised how much water came out with the compressed air even after draining the lines.

My question now is about putting antfreeze through the lines. I have seen mention about a valve and /or siphon hose near the pump to use for this but mine has neither. I am assuming I will have to disconnect the water intake line from the fresh water tank and connect another hose to siphon from the jugs as I do not want to put antifreeze in the fresh water tank.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use for a siphon hose to connect to the intake of the pump?

Old 10-10-2010, 08:32 AM   #2

go to your rv dealer and get a connector for your shurflow pump. Disconect the hose from the tank at the shurflow inlet and install the fitting that you bought and attached to a plastic braided hose avaliable everywhere. Connect this hose to the gallon of antifreeze and start the pump. Open every taps until the antifreeze flow. Et voila the job is done. If you have a water filter near the pump for the domestic water, empt it by hand because the compressor air will not remove the water from it and it will freeze. Good luck.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #3

Why add antifreeze when you have already blown the lines clear. In over 30 years of RV experience and freezing condions I have never had one yet freeze up the lines after blowing the water out with compressed air.

Save your time and your money, forget the antifreeze. It's a complete PITA to get it all out when you want to use your rig again.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
bmg

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Why add antifreeze when you have already blown the lines clear. In over 30 years of RV experience and freezing condions I have never had one yet freeze up the lines after blowing the water out with compressed air.

Save your time and your money, forget the antifreeze. It's a complete PITA to get it all out when you want to use your rig again.
This week I was planning to winterize and had a list of stuff to get. This is our first RV so I haven't done it before. I often had the same thought about just blowing the water out. Yours was the first post I've seen where some one actually did this. Makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Do you have a fitting that hooks into the water line or just keep blowing air from the nozzle until it's dry?
Old 10-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg View Post
This week I was planning to winterize and had a list of stuff to get. This is our first RV so I haven't done it before. I often had the same thought about just blowing the water out. Yours was the first post I've seen where some one actually did this. Makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Do you have a fitting that hooks into the water line or just keep blowing air from the nozzle until it's dry?
I have one of the screw in city water fittings that has a schrader(tire) valve on it. I have a clip on air chuck that can be connected so that I can walk into the motorhome and open faucets without someone being outside to hold an air hose on the fitting.

There are many that are just downright anal about getting every last bit of water vapor out of their lines and THEN add antifreeze. Just plain overkill. It's the old "If a little is good a lot more is better" mentality.

A little antifreeze down the sink and shower P-traps is not a bad idea but I only used it once many many years ago in my fresh water tubing and will NEVER do it again!
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'ray View Post
My question now is about putting antifreeze through the lines. I have seen mention about a valve and /or siphon hose near the pump to use for this but mine has neither. I am assuming I will have to disconnect the water intake line from the fresh water tank and connect another hose to siphon from the jugs as I do not want to put antifreeze in the fresh water tank.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use for a siphon hose to connect to the intake of the pump?
No water present in lines, nothing to freeze.
WHY add anti-freeze to dry lines.

Pour a small amount of RV anti-freeze down the drains(Kitchen sink, shower/tub, bathroom sink) to protect the "P" traps from freezing.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #7

Water freezing in low spots in the lines.

"There are many that are just downright anal about getting every last bit of water vapor out of their lines and THEN add antifreeze. Just plain overkill."

Jeeper. I would rather not load the lines with the pink juice, after blowing them out, but....Since were not able to see 98% of the lines that carry the water, isn't it possible to have a "low spot" in the lines where water could collect/pool and freeze?
Old 10-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
"There are many that are just downright anal about getting every last bit of water vapor out of their lines and THEN add antifreeze. Just plain overkill."

Jeeper. I would rather not load the lines with the pink juice, after blowing them out, but....Since were not able to see 98% of the lines that carry the water, isn't it possible to have a "low spot" in the lines where water could collect/pool and freeze?
Never seen it happen in over 30 years of experience with RVs. I have never had enough water left in a line after blowing it clear with 50psi of air to completely fill a low point or freeze a line, just hasn't happened. If someone is that paranoid about it and the pink stuff makes them feel better than use it, it's not my time and money for sure.

One thing I also do when using compressed air after going through each faucet and the toilet and shower inside is to open the plumbing low point drain and blow air out through it. After all it is the "low point" and if there is nothing but air coming out of it there isn't enough water left in the system to cause any damage.

I'll state it again. I used antifreeze ONCE and NEVER again. It's a huge time and money waster in my opinion and experience.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #9

Pink No More!

Jeeper,

"I'll state it again. I used antifreeze ONCE and NEVER again. It's a huge time and money waster in my opinion and experience."

Thanks for the explanation, you have made me a "Don't show me pink" convert.

I've used antifreeze TWICE but NEVER again. It WAS a huge waste of money and time.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #10

Thanks for the reply, I wish I had known before I put it all through the lines. Being the first time I would rather be overly cautious than end up with a bunch of headaches in the spring.

I do have a blow out plug like you however my compressor does not have a clip on chuck and the one I have needs something to push in the valve to let air flow. I ended up using the blow gun with a different tip on it that seemed to seal well, then pressurized to 50psi, went inside and opened taps and repeated again and again until all was clear. I also cracked open the low point drains at the very last step to make sure they were clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post

Tags
antifreeze