Old 07-09-2018, 02:06 PM   #1

Exclamation smell of Formaldehyde, urine?

We have a dometic toilet. We went full time on June 1st. 2 weeks at one campground, no issues. About a week in the next campground we started to get a whiff of odor, but not too bad. Thought maybe it was hygeine more than anything else. I'm a good boy, I sit. Now, into our 7th week, while laying in bed, I can smell the Formaldehydeish smell. There is water in the tank. Where is this smell coming from? Do you think there is a seal broken under the toilet? I don't smell "poo" more urine/Formaldehyde type of odor. Pungent. It's not coming from the grey line. Thanks for any ideas. I do have an appointment at carolina campers to have them check it out on Thursday, but just weird. Thanks!!

James

2016 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
VERY LOUD --> Equal-i-zer 4 point hitch
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
Pickin' & Campin'

Do you keep water in the toilet bowl?
Do you have one of the termination valves open? (grey or galley)

There were some issues with certain model Dometic toilets leaking internally.
Also, many R/V plumbing systems have an air admittance valve located under a sink.
They can malfunction and allow sewer gases to enter the inside.

Bad odor

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=32
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:24 PM   #3

So you are in a 2018 Rockwood, that's a new one. Could there be a possibility that the "formaldehyde" type smell be coming from glue used on the wall panels? There was a problem with this some years ago with RV and mobile home wall panels. I remember back around 2000 or so going to look at TT's and some had that overwhelming type smell in them and some did not. Me--I would call the selling dealer and ask IF they may happen to know if a "Formaldehyde" type glue was used in your unit.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
So you are in a 2018 Rockwood, that's a new one. Could there be a possibility that the "formaldehyde" type smell be coming from glue used on the wall panels? There was a problem with this some years ago with RV and mobile home wall panels. I remember back around 2000 or so going to look at TT's and some had that overwhelming type smell in them and some did not. Me--I would call the selling dealer and ask IF they may happen to know if a "Formaldehyde" type glue was used in your unit.

hmm. Well I got my sniffer our and guess what? It does indeed appear to be coming from the wall. Like at my head level. I didn't get down and sniff at the bottom. haha. But it does indeed appear to be coming from the walls. I don't smell it anywhere else in the TT, just the bathroom. Of note, when we took it to one campground we were in full sun cooking for about 3 weeks. The poor AC could barely keep it at 80 inside the trailer. That is when we noticed the odor. Well if it's the wall what the heck is the solution to that?? yikes.

James
2016 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Old 07-09-2018, 07:49 PM   #5

Open all windows, run electric vents, and air it out for several days. You may have to do this more then once.

If you have carpeting, it is not unusual for it to also out gas a chemical odor.
RockeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:01 AM   #6

Buy or rent an ozone generator and leave it running for however long it takes to get rid of the smell.

Bruce
Old 07-10-2018, 07:15 AM   #7

Just a follow up...

I opened the vent and turned the fan on low. It's been running since yesterday. I don't think the smell is coming from the walls anymore. I think it's the toilet. Now that the majority of the odor is being pulled up and vented, I had thought when I was "sniffing" it was from the walls, but no more. It's definitely coming from the toilet area. I saw some post about dometic toilet issues and I am wondering if I got the same problem.

James
2016 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Old 07-10-2018, 07:20 AM   #8
Site Team

Drain the black tank then sanitize it and check it again.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Drain the black tank then sanitize it and check it again.
I empty the black tank about every 2-3 days. When I dump the black tank I fill it first and use the sprayer. I fill it at least 3x and dump it till nice and clear. I then put about 1-2 gallons of water in it with the dometic fizzy cleaner/tank treatment. I purchased and used some deoderizer too. I think it's something other than the black tank. I think it's the toilet itself. The odor is not poo, but it certainly does smell formaldehydeish/urinish. I saw some older post where the toilet itself had a leak in it. A dometic 300 or something.
2016 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Old 07-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #10

You should check that AAV as pictured by 5picker in post 2. They fail often and can fool you. To test cover it with a baggy and a tight rubber band.

CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote