Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 14
Solved- Dry fired hot water heater

Hi folks,

So in my haste i fired up the hot water heater this weekend in gas mode with no water in the hot water heater tank,i realized what i had done 10 minutes later but it was to late and the damage had been done..Im assuming that it tripped out on high temp.limit.I tried pushing the manual reset for the burner but it seemed like nothing happened or it wasnt tripped.It wont light at all or make an effort which is telling me that it is locked out.Will i have the electric element burned out as well? Am i missing something here?What will i have to replace ?What type of dmaga may i have done?My trailer is a 2012 salem hemisphere lite with a sw6de suburban water heater(Gas and electric) I need help as my dealer is a round trip of 1000 kms.
__________________

__________________
shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
Make sure you push both black rubber buttons to reset.
Do you have 12 volts from battery?
Is the hot water switch turned on inside?
Have you checked all the fuses in the DC panel?
Do you have the Gas turned on?
Do you have power to your Propane detector inside (green light)

If it is new I'd see what your dealer can do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hot Water Heater 004.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	14208  
__________________

__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,168
There are two reset buttons.
One for AC and one for DC/Propane.
Both may have popped.

If the black switch was on without water in the tank and power on the rig, you will need a new element.

I doubt the dealer is going to "cover" this repair as it was user caused.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Taranwanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,446
A semi-related question here: I'm currently camping at beautiful Otter Lake and I decided to try the electric water heating element. I was surprised that it seems to get the water hotter than the propane does! So my question is, can the electric element be left on as long as there's water in the tank, or should I be turning it off to give it a break, like if we're not going to be needing hot water for a few hours? Thanks!
__________________
2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)27 ('17) 20
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
There are two reset buttons.
One for AC and one for DC/Propane.
Both may have popped.

If the black switch was on without water in the tank and power on the rig, you will need a new element.

I doubt the dealer is going to "cover" this repair as it was user caused.
The switch for electric was definatly off so the element should still be ok right? i have tried resetting/pushing on the rubber grommets that say "push to reset" but nothing happens,nothing moved indicating that it reset. Is this just the ac reset?if so where is the dc gas reset located?Do you think i may have damaged something else? I think what im trying to reset is the eco/thermostat reset.my dealer is 1000 km round trip away and im almost sure that i will have to repair this myself.
__________________
shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Make sure you push both black rubber buttons to reset.
Do you have 12 volts from battery?
Is the hot water switch turned on inside?
Have you checked all the fuses in the DC panel?
Do you have the Gas turned on?
Do you have power to your Propane detector inside (green light)

If it is new I'd see what your dealer can do.
i have pushed both black rubber buttons and nothing happened,no noise ,no movement

Yes i have 12 volts from battery

Yes hot water switch is on inside

no fuses burned out

Gas on and lots of propane and yes the green light is on lp detector.

I lit the hot water heater on propane with no water.Im assuming it reached high temp and tripped but nothing happened when i tried resetting the 2 rubber buttons?im stumped with this
__________________
shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer
A semi-related question here: I'm currently camping at beautiful Otter Lake and I decided to try the electric water heating element. I was surprised that it seems to get the water hotter than the propane does! So my question is, can the electric element be left on as long as there's water in the tank, or should I be turning it off to give it a break, like if we're not going to be needing hot water for a few hours? Thanks!
Leaving it on will be fine.
You can use both at the same time as well. Gas/ and electric
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 201
There is a good chance you have warped the water heater tank.
I assume you have filled it with water under pressure? Make sure to test for leaks first.
But yes, your electric element should be fine. So if you have no leaks, at least you should have hot water.
Not quite sure what to say about the propane not working, unless the high limit switch got fried. If you can disconnect the wires on the switch, check for continuity there.
__________________
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonG View Post
There is a good chance you have warped the water heater tank.
I assume you have filled it with water under pressure? Make sure to test for leaks first.
But yes, your electric element should be fine. So if you have no leaks, at least you should have hot water.
Not quite sure what to say about the propane not working, unless the high limit switch got fried. If you can disconnect the wires on the switch, check for continuity there.
I figured the electric element would still be fine but that wont work now either.It is locked out i think but i cant reset,maybe it melted something together.
__________________
shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
KRS
Member
 
KRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hereford, AZ
Posts: 59
I don't see where you said that you filled the RV system with water, did you?

Did you vent the water heater tank?
__________________

__________________
2004 Forest River Wildcat 29BHS
15.0 BTU ducted roof air
Tow vehicle: 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins turbo auto
Cummins exhaust brake
Air bags
KRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
led pad

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.