Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #1

Question SOLVED: Hot water heater - no pressure

We just bought a new to us 2006 Roo 233 with a 6 gal. suburban water heater. I filled the lines with water and fired the hot water heater up, but noticed the hot water was much lower pressure than the cold. I bypassed the heater and water flowed good, so I know there is a problem in the hot water tank. I also opened the bypass valve and it has good flow out of it. I haven't been able to get the anode out yet to drain, that will happen tonight. I took the hot line out off, and there seems to be a white plastic fitted piece in the brass fitting on the back of the water heater I assume is a screen (all I see is a white plastic with a hole in the middle), but I can't get it or the brass fitting out. I need to get some PB Blaster or similar tonight to get the anode and brass fitting for the hot out. I'm assuming the out fitting is clogged with debris and will be fixed by taking out the anode and spraying the tank, and taking out the brass fitting and cleaning whatever is in it. I need to go get a 1&1/16 socket, spray wand and PB blaster so I can hopefully get it working tonight for a trip this weekend. Just making sure I'm on the right track or other considerations I need to think about.
By the way, this is my first post and this forum has been incredibly useful as we are newbies to campers. Thanks to all those that contribute to us knowledge impaired.....
jtevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #2

The white plastic you are referring to is most likely the check valve. If it is clogged up with debris or stuck a little bit then you will get little to no pressure. Hopefully it is that easy for you. I had a similar problem in mine last year. I also took the aerator's off all faucets and cleaned them up too. I was able to clean my check valve up and put it back in. I did pick an extra one up though for backup as it isn't high quality.

Good luck and have fun camping!
Flagstaffer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #3

Just to verify, you had to take the double male brass fitting off to get to that check valve? I tried to get it off last night, but was unable. I will try some pb blaster or similiar tonight to loosen it.
Equilizer and Prodigy 3
Old 03-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #4

I have a 2006 Flagstaff with the same water heater however, from what I gather alot of different options out there as far as valve configurations and placements of check valves.

My camper is put away for the winter. I can't recall if it was a double male fitting or not but, I think that it was. It was directly connected to the water heater. Some folks have there valves in line and some are directly connected to the water heater.

Mine was on their pretty good too. There shouldn't be any other white plastic internal pieces inside a brass fitting so if you can see it in there then that is going to be the right fitting to remove.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #5

Flagstaffer was right, when I went to get the anode, checked into the check valve. It is a double male brass piece with the check valve built in. When I finally got the fitting out, the check valve was in pieces. The anode was just the wire, so drained all the crap out of the tank and replaced anode and check valve and all is good. Thanks Flagstaffer!!
Equilizer and Prodigy 3
Old 03-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtevis View Post
Flagstaffer was right, when I went to get the anode, checked into the check valve. It is a double male brass piece with the check valve built in. When I finally got the fitting out, the check valve was in pieces. The anode was just the wire, so drained all the crap out of the tank and replaced anode and check valve and all is good. Thanks Flagstaffer!!
Your anode rod should be checked every year and water heater tank should be flushed at least the same.
I drain my tank after each use.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #7

Glad the advice, worked out. That is what the forum is all about. Cleaning out is good advice for sure. As with anything else's preventative maintenance is the key.

I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade so it is all about preventative maintenance. In fact, I used to fix the planes our own Herk7769 flew.

Happy camping!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #8

I agree on preventative maintenance, I just puchased this and working through the things that haven't been kept up on. I'm a pilot also, fly light sport stuff for fun and for work.....including ASEL, AMEL, powered parachute, Weight shift control, and Gyro. Own a Beech Sport. What does herk fly?
Equilizer and Prodigy 3
Old 03-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I agree on preventative maintenance, I just puchased this and working through the things that haven't been kept up on. I'm a pilot also, fly light sport stuff for fun and for work.....including ASEL, AMEL, powered parachute, Weight shift control, and Gyro. Own a Beech Sport. What does herk fly?
Herk flys what ever he wants!
His name should give u a clue tho!
Old 03-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #10

I see, I assume you guys are military.....
Equilizer and Prodigy 3
Old 03-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I see, I assume you guys are military.....
I'm not nor ever have been but I sure support the guys/gals who did or are serving.

Turbs
Old 03-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #12

Yes, his name gives it away. I am still in the reserves. I work on C-130s. Herk retired from a unit that I started with here in PA.

I have my private pilots license. It's an expensive hobby as you know. I work for an airline doing quality control for landing gear components and full assemblies on Airbus and Embraer aircraft.

As for the camper I'm getting bugs but of mine too. The previous owner used it 5 times in three years.