Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #21
Site Team

Flagstaff, is there any way you could possibly post pics of the bypass valves so everyone can see their status.......just to knock that off the list of possibilities?

There may be something else that our members may notice in the pics too.

Pictures are the best thing in trying to troubleshoot any/all problems.

Also can you post a pic of the front of the water heater, and make sure to get the little black on/off switch on the bottom left of the heater in the pic view please? This switch is usually hidden somewhat. (DON'T TURN YOURS ON IF IT'S IN THE OFF POSITION TILL WE FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEMS)

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagstaff1 View Post
I could hear it come on during the night, but it does not do that anymore.
P.S. You probably only hear the water heater when it's on working off propane. If it's heating on electric (only), you shouldn't hear anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

Last year we had a member whom swore his valves were correct and they were we/he found a broken valve that appeared to be open but when in fact the valve was broken internally and still shut when the valve showed open.

Turbs
I've had water and air valves do the same thing before as Turbs pointed out.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagstaff1 View Post
Yes, the hot water used to last longer. I checked the plug--it's good. I've had the trailer for over a year and this just started last month. I can remember hearing the water heater come on in the middle of the night. It does not do that anymore. It only comes on after running hot water for a bit.
Still trying to figure out exactly what your situation is.

This started a month ago.
Have you or anyone fiddled with any of the bypass valves since/before
this happened???

As others mentioned a bypass valve could be broken internally but I
don't think it would happen on it's own. If the valve was working and
it has NOT been moved/opened/closed it should still be working.

I am beginning to lean toward a burned out electric element.
This can be tested by a knowledgeable electrician or home do-it-yourselfer
but not everyone can do this.
What is your ability??
How close are you to a repair facility?
Do you own and know how to use a volt/ohm meter???

IF your answer to my last question above is yes, I can post a couple
pictures to show you what to do next.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #23
Site Team

I have another question, and please don't be insulted as we are just trying to figure it out. I always start with the basics and work my way to the harder stuff.

Do you have propane in your tanks, and/or is there anything else in the trailer that runs off propane not working correctly?

Since you stated that you don't hear the water heater running at night (which you only really hear it (or my ears pick up) when the propane is burning....not when the electric element is going), it made me think the propane may not be working right.

The Suburban water heater you said you have can be run off propane, electric, or both at the same time.

Depending on what you use to power it, also depends on how fast your recovery rate (heating the next tank of water) is.

When you use electric and propane together at the same time, you have the fastest recovery rate.

Using only propane is the next fastest...and using only electric is the slowest.

You may have been using both electric and propane to begin with, then something happened (either to the propane or electric sides), and are now just getting your water heater powered by only one source....which has affected your noticeable recovery rate.

EX: Your propane may not be working now (due to empty tanks, supply line problems, etc)....and you are only getting hot water due to the electric heating element (thus a slower recovery rate than previously)

EX 2: You may have burned out an electric heating element (quite common to do if you don't turn that black switch off and hook to a power source with no water in the tank), and are only getting the hot water from propane.

I also wouldn't think you should hear your water heater kick on from propane at night (unless it was when you were using hot water) if the electric heating element was also on, as the electric should easily keep the water hot just sitting in the tank.......but don't take that as gospel because of the way the thermostat controls work.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Rodeo George & KY Dan did not. You & all the rest did. I will say Water Heater. Youroo!!
Not me Dude, I always say water heater!. Another one is a 'cement' drive, patio, etc instead of 'concrete' drive, patio, etc. As an old man once told me, "Cement is just one ingredient of concrete."
Old 03-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #25

Problem solved. Thanks to all that helped. Final verdict was....burned up thermostat and heating element. Replaced both. Working good.
Thanks to everyone!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #26
Site Team

Thanks for the follow up.
We would have gotten there eventually

I love a happy ending!!
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote