Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #1

Some black water came out when I opened my drain pipe cap

When I pulled up the dump station this weekend for the first time ever, I opened the cap on my sewer drain pipe and a small amount of liquid poured out. It had obviously leaked past the black tank valve and was just sitting against the drain cap. Thank god I had my gloves on!

Any idea what would cause this? The trailer is brand new, so I'd like to think the valve is operating correctly and not leaking. Any ideas for what to look for?
Old 04-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #2

Ours does that also. Last year brand new. Once it gets warm we will investigate it a little further. I've read to make sure the handle is all the way pushed in after you close the valve. Ours is just a trickle, but enough to make you jump back if you don't know it's going to happen.
stitchinsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #3

our valve is probably leaking a bit and not sealing at 100%. Make sure that there is nothing in the way to prevent the valve from sealing likes some pieces of toilet tissue.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #4

Regardless of whether it was black or grey water, you have a small leak. Does you unit have the handles directly to the valve(s) or does it have the cable operated valves? I, for one, have the cable operated valves and I do know that both valves leak just a little. I blame this on the cables more than anything as I do not believe they seal off as good as the solid connected valve/handles. I added the "twist-on" valve to mine to stop this problem and have plans to replace my cable operated valves with new direct connected valves soon.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

I had this problem and the issue was waste/tissue caught in the valve track. The valve was not closing completely allowing water to slip by the seal when the valve was closed. I used a clear elbow with a hose bib to back flush the tank and after a bit of time at the dump station whatever was blocking it finally washed away. No issues since.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Regardless of whether it was black or grey water, you have a small leak. Does you unit have the handles directly to the valve(s) or does it have the cable operated valves?
I have a direct connection between the valve and the handle. It leaked again this weekend, so after dumping I peeked up in there and thought I saw some tissue in the track where the valve closes into. Going to get in there with a toothbrush and try to clean it out. Hopefully that's all it takes; Plan B is to install a new valve, which I've heard is very easy (and cheap).
Old 04-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
I have a direct connection between the valve and the handle. It leaked again this weekend, so after dumping I peeked up in there and thought I saw some tissue in the track where the valve closes into. Going to get in there with a toothbrush and try to clean it out. Hopefully that's all it takes; Plan B is to install a new valve, which I've heard is very easy (and cheap).

Just make sure you throw out that toothbrush

John
2009 Silverado w/5000 lbs airbags and P3 controller.
2013 Rockwood 2702SS
US Army Veteran
Glockfanjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockfanjohn View Post
Just make sure you throw out that toothbrush
Good tip -- thanks for the reminder!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #9

I've have the same problem with our Sabre, but to fix it, the underbelly would have to be opened, not something I wanted done, so I put on gloves and place a bucket under the drain when opening and live with it. Also the drain valve takes two hands to open and close which means it is a cheap valve or poorly designed and never should have installed. If I were you I'd get it fixed before the warranty expires. Sorry I didn't, now 2 years later.
cruisinhwy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #10

Installing a Quickie Flush tonight, so while I'm down under there I'm going to try and clean out the black valve. Will post my results...
Old 04-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #11

Our black valve isn't exposed for maintenance.
cruisinhwy66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black water