Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
Mod free 5er

Sticking side pedal on Aqua-magic Style II Toilet China Bowl

We have the Aqua-magic Style II Toilet w/ china bowl and side pedal which will not shut the water off completely without lifting the pedal. Does anyone know how to get the pedal off without removing the entire toilet? I think it just needs some lube on the pivots. I have the manual, but it doesn't show how the pedal comes off to access the valves, etc.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Can't believe the number of responses this generated! Evidently I have the only one ever manufactured that has this problem.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
Camper Less Camping

.......or the only who uses their potty so much that they wear out the flush handle!

Old 12-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
.......or the only who uses their potty so much that they wear out the flush handle!
Can't or rather shouldn't be worn out as it is a new 2012 trailer purchased in Feb. Used it a total of 43 nights so far.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #5

Could have a bad flush spring or blade seal…………
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Could have a bad flush spring or blade seal…………
Just wanting to be able to remove the pedal so I can determine what is defective or needs lubrication. Everything works great as far as the seals, it just doesn't quite shut off without lifting the pedal about 1/8"-1/4". Shot some silicone on it and made it much worse, then shot some lithium on it and it helped, but would like to remove the pedal for inspection and if necessary replace some parts.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Check the valve -----------

Hey Ole Coot, check the ball (flush ball) to see if maybe something has caught on the seal or ball that is preventing it from closing. You may have to get yo hand dirty! But check the ball and seal. May a little silicone grease on the ball and seal. Otherwise check with the factory (phone call)
for a fix?

Otherwise the outhouse is the next solution!!!!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #8

Just checked the website----------

Neil, I just checked the web site for your crapper. says you have to remove the "JOHN" to work on it. May be the water valve?? Not the pedal.
They are easy to replace once you remove the toilet. The repair parts are
available at Camping World! Or haul yo camper to Camping World for warranty repairs. In to mean time I would call Thetford about a kit under warranty!

Was just looking at my paper work I have. It says to lubricate ( silicone spray) the ball to correct poor flush closures.
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 12-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Just wanting to be able to remove the pedal so I can determine what is defective or needs lubrication. Everything works great as far as the seals, it just doesn't quite shut off without lifting the pedal about 1/8"-1/4". Shot some silicone on it and made it much worse, then shot some lithium on it and it helped, but would like to remove the pedal for inspection and if necessary replace some parts.
I spose it's under warranty... just let the dealer fix it. I don't think I've ever seen one apart... don't know. Let us know how you make out.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
We have the Aqua-magic Style II Toilet w/ china bowl and side pedal which will not shut the water off completely without lifting the pedal. Does anyone know how to get the pedal off without removing the entire toilet? I think it just needs some lube on the pivots. I have the manual, but it doesn't show how the pedal comes off to access the valves, etc.
I had the same issue at 6 months old only mine is Dometic China. I put silicon grease on slide (flapper) and it cured the problem! Would hang the last 1/8" travel. Water was off but bowl wouldn't hold seal water.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

I may take it out Sat. The lithium spray definitely helped, it will now shut the water off by itself, it just takes about 5 seconds to shut off completely. Would not take it to a dealer or Camping World, would rather do it myself and know it was done correctly and not have something else messed up.

This one holds water just fine, in fact, you can put about a cup of water in it and it is still in there 4 or 5 days later, so it is not the flapper or ball valve.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
I had the same issue at 6 months old only mine is Dometic China. I put silicon grease on slide (flapper) and it cured the problem! Would hang the last 1/8" travel. Water was off but bowl wouldn't hold seal water.
Vince, I also have a Dometic. I Had to replace the blade seal on a year and one half toilet. The foot pedal would stick open. I called Dometic and they sent me a new blade seal at no charge. I still have to lube the new seal about every third camp-out because it sticks. JUNK !!!!!
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Vince, I also have a Dometic. I Had to replace the blade seal on a year and one half toilet. The foot pedal would stick open. I called Dometic and they sent me a new blade seal at no charge. I still have to lube the new seal about every third camp-out because it sticks. JUNK !!!!!
I used an liberal amount of plumbers silicon grease to the full face of the gasket. Its lasted probably a year already. Water off, valve wide open, grease the heck out of it allow to "soak" in a bit.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:11 AM   #14

Water continue----------

Water continues to run for about 3-5 seconds after releasing the flush pedal to place some water in the bowel so it will not be "DRY", at least mine does and always has.

If all else fails, call 1-800-521-3032 When you call, have available:

Your Name and address
The toilet model and code from ID label
The problem/reason for claim.
proof of date of purchase.

Good luck
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #15
Mod free 5er

Evidently the lithium grease has worked its magic as the pedal is working just fine now. Water continues to run for 2-3 seconds and puts about 2" of water in the bottom and shuts off just like it did when we got the trailer new.