Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #1

Suburban SW12DE Water Heater

Our fifth wheel has the SW12DE water heater and it only heats the water to luke warm. I have tried it both on propane and on electric and the results are the same. I spoke to the dealer as to whether or not there was a temperature control on the water heater and they said no. Any recommendations on what to check or set in order to make the water hot coming out of the water heater?
tnoonan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #2

Check your water heater winter by-pass valve to make sure it is closed. Another possibility is your inside/outside shower that could have both hot/cold water faucets open but the shower head stop button closed. Water heater valves shown in summer position, by-pass is middle one.
Attached Images

Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Site Team

As Fonzie stated, it does sound like you have cold water mixing in on the hot water. I would check the things that he suggested, as they all will allow this situation to happen.

The easiest way to see if the water inside the heater is hot, is to go outside and open the access panel to the water heater. Slowly pull up on the pressure relief valve (shown in pic) to open it up enough for water to flow out... and then you can feel the water coming directly from the heater, to ascertain how hot it is. If it's properly hot here, then you know you must have cold mixing in downline somewhere.......as in the bypass valves being set incorrectly (very common), or either/both of the indoor/outdoor shower valves open, but handheld wands shut off.....as Fonzie pointed out.

Hope this helps you isolate the problem, and please let us know what you find.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #4

You might try and reset both limits at the unit. They just press against the tank on the outside of the tank. Make sure they are making good contact against the metal of the tank.they are both located behind the black rubber box. I think the left is electric and the right is the gas.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #5

Thank you Fonzie and Wmtire. I first checked the outdoor shower valves and they were actually on even though the actual shower head was off. I checked the hot water this morning and it is hot. This solved the issue.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! Anyone know anything about the Intervac System?
tnoonan50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, suburban, water, water heater