Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #21
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
So even your "brain farts" mod your trailer...
Figures!
Don't really consider it a mod, but everyone gets lucky once in a while. As my Grandpa used to say, "even a blind sow picks up and acorn once in a while".
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
bob213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 652
OldCoot...what # do you torque your anode rod to?
__________________

__________________
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #23
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
OldCoot...what # do you torque your anode rod to?
Not being facetious, it usually takes me at least 2 times of tightening it to stop it from leaking. I don't actually torque to a specific reading. I just clean the female threads, wrap anode with Teflon tape about 4/5 wraps and tighten just to stop it from leaking. The 1st tightening will not leak with cold water, but when it is heated and the pressure builds it will seep and thus the 2nd tightening (sometimes the 3rd). Just don't want to over tighten and take a chance on breaking the finish on the inside of the tank.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #24
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Why bead blast an anode rod? Wouldn't letting it soak in a container of white vinegar work? That is what I have been doing to my after-market anode rod. Within a short period of time the clear vinegar turns into a gray colored liquid and the anode rod is clean. My new TT is still winterized and have had no experience with the Suburban brand yet.

Bob
The glass bead blaster is only about 30' from the camper and it takes less than a minute to blast it, whereas the vinegar is in the kitchen which is about 80' away and takes longer. Bottom line, I can have it bead blasted and re-installed faster than I can walk to the kitchen. Main reason, I'M LAZY!
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #25
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 15,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Not being facetious, it usually takes me at least 2 times of tightening it to stop it from leaking. I don't actually torque to a specific reading. I just clean the female threads, wrap anode with Teflon tape about 4/5 wraps and tighten just to stop it from leaking. The 1st tightening will not leak with cold water, but when it is heated and the pressure builds it will seep and thus the 2nd tightening (sometimes the 3rd). Just don't want to over tighten and take a chance on breaking the finish on the inside of the tank.
I guess I am lucky, as mine doesn't leak after tightening it the first time.

This reminds me of a motorcycle repair manual one time in my younger years. It advised in one step to use less than excessive force when tightening the bolt.

I happened to be doing this at a friend of mines mechanic shop. Him, being the professional mechanic and extremely experienced, I asked what exactly is less than excessive. His immediate comment was "more than moderate".
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #26
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I guess I am lucky, as mine doesn't leak after tightening it the first time.

This reminds me of a motorcycle repair manual one time in my younger years. It advised in one step to use less than excessive force when tightening the bolt.

I happened to be doing this at a friend of mines mechanic shop. Him, being the professional mechanic and extremely experienced, I asked what exactly is less than excessive. His immediate comment was "more than moderate".
Even on torqueing lug nuts, I do it in 4 steps, 45#', 75#' and then twice @ 110#'.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: 152 SCENIC CIRCLE
Posts: 143
I can't believe this could happen to you.
__________________
Gee Whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
bob213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 652
The only reason I asked about anode torque is in post#5 you mention you carry your torque wrench to tighten lug nuts, anode and kingpin. I tighten mine as you do. Just wondering......
__________________
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #29
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
The only reason I asked about anode torque is in post#5 you mention you carry your torque wrench to tighten lug nuts, anode and kingpin. I tighten mine as you do. Just wondering......
Just because the socket is 1/2" drive and my torque wrench is a ratcheting 1/2" drive about 20" long so I don't need a long breaker bar.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heater, suburban, water, water heater

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 AM.