Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
So even your "brain farts" mod your trailer...
Figures!
Don't really consider it a mod, but everyone gets lucky once in a while. As my Grandpa used to say, "even a blind sow picks up and acorn once in a while".
Old 01-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #22

OldCoot...what # do you torque your anode rod to?
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #23
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
OldCoot...what # do you torque your anode rod to?
Not being facetious, it usually takes me at least 2 times of tightening it to stop it from leaking. I don't actually torque to a specific reading. I just clean the female threads, wrap anode with Teflon tape about 4/5 wraps and tighten just to stop it from leaking. The 1st tightening will not leak with cold water, but when it is heated and the pressure builds it will seep and thus the 2nd tightening (sometimes the 3rd). Just don't want to over tighten and take a chance on breaking the finish on the inside of the tank.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Why bead blast an anode rod? Wouldn't letting it soak in a container of white vinegar work? That is what I have been doing to my after-market anode rod. Within a short period of time the clear vinegar turns into a gray colored liquid and the anode rod is clean. My new TT is still winterized and have had no experience with the Suburban brand yet.

Bob
The glass bead blaster is only about 30' from the camper and it takes less than a minute to blast it, whereas the vinegar is in the kitchen which is about 80' away and takes longer. Bottom line, I can have it bead blasted and re-installed faster than I can walk to the kitchen. Main reason, I'M LAZY!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Not being facetious, it usually takes me at least 2 times of tightening it to stop it from leaking. I don't actually torque to a specific reading. I just clean the female threads, wrap anode with Teflon tape about 4/5 wraps and tighten just to stop it from leaking. The 1st tightening will not leak with cold water, but when it is heated and the pressure builds it will seep and thus the 2nd tightening (sometimes the 3rd). Just don't want to over tighten and take a chance on breaking the finish on the inside of the tank.
I guess I am lucky, as mine doesn't leak after tightening it the first time.

This reminds me of a motorcycle repair manual one time in my younger years. It advised in one step to use less than excessive force when tightening the bolt.

I happened to be doing this at a friend of mines mechanic shop. Him, being the professional mechanic and extremely experienced, I asked what exactly is less than excessive. His immediate comment was "more than moderate".

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I guess I am lucky, as mine doesn't leak after tightening it the first time.

This reminds me of a motorcycle repair manual one time in my younger years. It advised in one step to use less than excessive force when tightening the bolt.

I happened to be doing this at a friend of mines mechanic shop. Him, being the professional mechanic and extremely experienced, I asked what exactly is less than excessive. His immediate comment was "more than moderate".
Even on torqueing lug nuts, I do it in 4 steps, 45#', 75#' and then twice @ 110#'.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #27

I can't believe this could happen to you.
Gee Whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #28

The only reason I asked about anode torque is in post#5 you mention you carry your torque wrench to tighten lug nuts, anode and kingpin. I tighten mine as you do. Just wondering......
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #29
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
The only reason I asked about anode torque is in post#5 you mention you carry your torque wrench to tighten lug nuts, anode and kingpin. I tighten mine as you do. Just wondering......
Just because the socket is 1/2" drive and my torque wrench is a ratcheting 1/2" drive about 20" long so I don't need a long breaker bar.

Tags
heater, suburban, water, water heater