Old 04-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #11

I was able to purge the air from the tank by opening a faucet. the check valve at least let air out...

I had to remove the supply lines from the water inlet/outlet of the heater to get the bypass valve apart. When I reassembled everything, the rubber o-ring had fallen out and water sprayed out all over me so i assume the check-valve isn't in the water lines but inside the tank?

Old 04-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
Site Team

The check valve we are referring to is also called a back-flow preventer. With a one valve bypass valve, you have to have a way to prevent the cold water that would be tied into your hot water line, from backflowing into the water heater from the top of the water heater (hot water outlet),

This internal backflow preventer/check valve only allows water to flow one way, which is from the hot water outlet, and it should be where Herk said it was.

Trying to get my mind set straight on this, I would think if the backflow preventer was stuck closed, he shouldn't be getting ANY hot water, but I am still visualizing all of it so don't take that as gospel.

Man, a pic would help so much

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
The check valve we are referring to is also called a back-flow preventer. With a one valve bypass valve, you have to have a way to prevent the cold water that would be tied into your hot water line, from backflowing into the water heater from the top of the water heater (hot water outlet),

This internal backflow preventer/check valve only allows water to flow one way, which is from the hot water outlet, and it should be where Herk said it was.

Trying to get my mind set straight on this, I would think if the backflow preventer was stuck closed, he shouldn't be getting ANY hot water, but I am still visualizing all of it so don't take that as gospel.
Like I said, just trying to figure it out. The fact he is getting hot water means the water heater works and his problem is plumbing.

Also remember that it can also be one of his shower hand wands are closed and the two hand valves could be open. (inside or outside)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Like I said, just trying to figure it out. The fact he is getting hot water means the water heater works and his problem is plumbing.

Also remember that it can also be one of his shower hand wands are closed and the two hand valves could be open. (inside or outside)

As I was rereading the opening post, he stated he was getting luke-warm water and not much better on propane, while also stating his pressure valve kept opening up.

Lou, Do you think that the pressure valve opening too soon,, is keeping the water from heating up enough....or could it be thermostats?

I agree that is sure sounds like cold water mixing with hot water somehow.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
As I was rereading the opening post, he stated he was getting luke-warm water and not much better on propane, while also stating his pressure valve kept opening up.

Lou, Do you think that the pressure valve opening too soon,, is keeping the water from heating up enough....or could it be thermostats?

I agree that is sure sounds like cold water mixing with hot water somehow.
The more I think about his problem the more I think he needs to check his outside shower wand.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #16

Outside shower wand is turned off.. When i tried to turn them on - it leaked where the hose attaches to the faucet so I turned them off. Inside shower/tub faucet is turned off.

I really appreciate all of the help and suggestions.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #17

I've made an appointment with the local dealer - they are going to replace the P/T valve and they seem to think that the 120V thermostat switch may be having issues causing it to not heat up. They are going to diagnose it and replace the thermostat switch if needed. I guess buying an 11 year old RV is bound to come with a few problems.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcwby View Post
I've made an appointment with the local dealer - they are going to replace the P/T valve and they seem to think that the 120V thermostat switch may be having issues causing it to not heat up. They are going to diagnose it and replace the thermostat switch if needed. I guess buying an 11 year old RV is bound to come with a few problems.
Ok, please keep us informed how it all goes and if it solves the problems..........so we'll know for future references.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #19

I love this forum, having the much knowledge at your fingertips is awesome. First time out and no one told me about the 3rd valve and I really couldn't see it, had to reach back and feel, now wife can go take a shower.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #20

Problems Solved... Lou & Linda... you hit the nail on the head. When I went through and made a double check of everything - I found that the external shower had both hot and cold valves open. Once I closed them - I have hot water again! I took the RV to the dealer and they changed the P/T valve in about 15 minutes. Took it to the lake this past weekend and everything worked great!

Thanks again for all of the help!