Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
54 Years, 13 RV's

Suburban SW6DEL new style water heater jetting

Suburban has a new version of the SW6DEL water heater. I don't know when they changed it, but my WH was manufactured 06/09/17.

It's almost identical to the previous version, except the burner and orifice are different. The orifice slips into the burner much like stove top orifices' fit into the burner tube. The older orifice and burner appear to be one piece to me.

My WH needed the typical circuit board replacement that many of you have experienced. (Failure to ignite). It worked for one day on the first trip. Then I had to light it with a stove lighter the rest of the trip. After the circuit board was replaced, it worked just as it did the first few times.

At 5000' feet, it ignites the gas on the tail end of the first ignition cycle or the middle of the second ignition cycle.

I live at 5005' elevation in Colorado. The Suburban SW6DEL literature states that the unit is designed to work up to 4500'. Hmmmm. Guess I can't go to the mountains!

My next trip was to the mountains at an elevation of 8500'. The temp was in the 20's. The WH refused to light at all. It did go through the three ignition cycles, snapping the igniter to no avail, then turning on the fault light. I tried it several times with the same results. I finally light it during the ignition cycle with the stove lighter and it light right off and completed the heating cycle. The subsequent heating cycles required the same manual lighting.

Now please, the following is not intended to P/O, insult, diminish or demean anyone's thoughts or suggestions, but before anyone gets into all of the unnecessary stuff....... Yes, the tanks were full of cold weather propane/butane mix, the regulator wasn't frozen, everything else worked okay, there was no need to "purge" the LP lines as there are no leaks that would allow air in, nor did the propane magically turn to air, the regulator was set to 11" WC, and the stove burners had been used several times. I was also an RV tech for 6 years, specializing in propane systems.

When we got back from the trip, I got on Amazon and ordered the "high altitude" burner kit that fits all of the SW6DEL's. It turned out to be only for the previous design, and did not fit mine.

After searching numerous incorrect parts diagrams for the SW6DEL, I could find no reference to a high altitude burner orifice. Several phone calls and searches later, I discovered that the factory low altitude orifice is a #61 DMS, and I needed a #65 DMS high altitude orifice. The #61 and #65 are "drill size" references. They are .039" for the 61, and .035" for the 65, opposite of what one would expect from the numbers. High altitude air has less molecules of oxygen per cubic foot, so you need less propane for proper combustion.

It took about 10 minutes to remove the burner, 2 minutes to change the orifice and then 5 minutes to reassemble it. It works perfectly now, lighting on the first ignition cycle after only 2 or 3 snaps of the igniter every time. Can't wait to get it to high altitude again and see how it works.
Johnfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:35 PM   #2

Suburban Water Heater Part Number?

I also live in Fort Collins and have the newer version of the Suburban Water Heater. We have had similar issues at higher altitudes. Can you share where you purchased/ordered the new orifice and the specific part numbers for the orifice? I have been unable to find the part on-line. Thanks.
obobble66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #3
54 Years, 13 RV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobble66 View Post
I also live in Fort Collins and have the newer version of the Suburban Water Heater. We have had similar issues at higher altitudes. Can you share where you purchased/ordered the new orifice and the specific part numbers for the orifice? I have been unable to find the part on-line. Thanks.
Add aol.com on to my screen name and email me.
Old 03-07-2022, 12:59 PM   #4

Hey did you find the part number and purchase location for this #65 orifice?
I have a SW6DE and wondering if that works for it.
Thanks
Rogert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 02:49 PM   #5
54 Years, 13 RV's

Suburban #65 Orifice info Posted earlier

This info is for the newer style SW6DEL manufactured after June 2017 for the late 2017 models and the early 2018 model year RVs. The orifice is a #65 DMS. The Suburban part number is 180325. Great Outdoors RV in Evan's/Greeley Colorado is where I got the orifice. Ask for the parts manager, "Nate" I think; very helpful. 970.313.4337 Also, I bet if you called Suburban in Kansas they would send you one. If they don't want to, raise a little ruckus. Customers Service you know ..... Tell then you know a dozen people at high altitude that have had to change the orifice. (I do)

Putting it in takes about 1/2 hour and 2 beers; 4 if you wish, but no power tools allowed after 3 beers. Pull the sheet metal off around the burner tip to get at the screw holding the burner tube to the body. Pull the clip out of the burner orifice tip end inside the tube and pull the tube off. Swap the orifice and reverse the procedure. Be gentle. The orifice works great in the Colorado high country. No issues from 500' to 11,000' with the high altitude orifice. No need to change it to the low altitude one when you get home.

LP gas pressure should be set to 11" W/C, but I set mine to 10" as I almost always go up in altitude. Look for it to be too high, from a bad or out of adjustment regulator.

Also, these W/Hs are famous for having the igniter board burn out. Mine did on my first trip to Durango when it was 3 months old. Pull the board off of the back or top of the water heater and out of the plastic case. Look for a burned spot in the middle of the board. Check both sides. The board can be replaced by a very reliable Dinosaur brand of board for under $90, available on Amazon. The board is #UIB-S. If your board is bad, you will still have to replace the orifice to have it work right.

https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Elec...2943932&sr=8-6
Old 03-07-2022, 03:33 PM   #6

Suburban SW6DE Orifice

Thanks for getting back. Did a bit of research with a few companies with a few different answers. LOL One told me the #65 is actually discontinued by Suburban because people weren't replacing it when they returned to lower altitudes and causing fires. Did finally find a parts list for that particular gas valve 161255 which has the #61 plus the #65 and a #64. Suburban RV parts is who told me about the fire issue and said they can order the #64 which I assume will work.
Looked at the assembly in the heater itself and figured the metal shroud had to come off. Will try and not have more than the allotted beers.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:38 PM   #7

Suburban SW6DE Orifice

burner orfice for 161255 gas valve #61 180323
6 10 12 16 gal
burner orfice for 161255 gas valve #64 180329
saw6
burner orfice for 161255 gas valve #65 180325
Old 03-07-2022, 04:28 PM   #8
54 Years, 13 RV's

Suburban

Hi Rogert. Haven't heard of the fire issue. I've used mine from 100' to 11000' with no issues. Headed downhill in a fee weeks so I'll keep an eye out, thanks. Suburban also told me I didn't need a high altitude orifice. Hmmmm.....
Johnfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 10:06 AM   #9

Yea don't know about fire, just what the one guy said so....I got a #65 ordered finally after Suburban RV just emailed they got them in stock. Odd since he had said they weren't made anymore. LOL

Problem I had was when we were at 9k' the water heater worked but then after about 5 minutes got a gas alarm inside. Not good. Anyway thanks for your help!
Old 03-08-2022, 10:55 AM   #10
54 Years, 13 RV's

Was it the CO detector or combustable gas detector? Be sure to check your regulator pressure. Had several new ones that would not adjust down to 11" form 12 or 13. Not industry standard, but I like to run mine at 10" as I almost always go up in altitude from 5000'.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:57 AM   #11
54 Years, 13 RV's

Be sure that the windows and stove vent on the W/H side are closed when it's running, or the roof vent open.
Old 03-09-2022, 12:06 PM   #12

Yea it was the gas detector. My regulator is automatic and set for 11". 2021 Alpha Wolf. W/H is on the opposite side of everything else and didn't have any windows open at the time. Alarm is just on the other side of the wall from the W/H so.....Have to make sure the vent is open now though. Was pretty cold at that time so everything was closed. Definitely didn't do it when I came down home to around 2500'.

Had another issue with the furnace though. Forest River left a 2" duct unattached to anything in the space next to the furnace. Blew hot air back into the return so kept tripping the high temp limit switch and wouldn't run all night until resetting. Got pretty cold at night. LOL They said it was for the weather kit heat to the tanks but there was no place for it to go.

I ran it with an extension back to the bathroom so now have heat there and the furnace stays on no problem. Manufacturing defect guessing from trying to put these out with all the demand lately.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:28 PM   #13
54 Years, 13 RV's

Had the same issue with my 2018. Poor air flow caused the furnace to short cycle. Added two vents and it was cozy at 0°.

Tags
heater, suburban, water, water heater