Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2018, 01:41 PM   #1

Suburban water heater back flow preventer

I just put in a new Suburban water heater the back flow preventer only lasted about a month or so, rusted a internally came apart,it is on the hot water side of waterline, it stopped all water flow. Is a back flow preventer necessary?
cardwellmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
Site Team

The back flow prevent valve is used for several reasons in Rvs. One is winterizing. By using it, you can eliminate one valve in the normal three valve winterizing set up. It also prevents the crud in the bottom of the HW tank from being sucked into the cold water line should you open the low point drains with water in the WH. It also keeps antifreeze from entering the WH. If you add the third valve( so you can isolate WH from hot water line between bypass valve and hot water outlet and drain WH before opening low point drains, you can get away without it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The back flow prevent valve is used for several reasons in Rvs. One is winterizing. By using it, you can eliminate one valve in the normal three valve winterizing set up. It also prevents the crud in the bottom of the HW tank from being sucked into the cold water line should you open the low point drains with water in the WH. It also keeps antifreeze from entering the WH. If you add the third valve( so you can isolate WH from hot water line between bypass valve and hot water outlet and drain WH before opening low point drains, you can get away without it.
My TT was pre-owned, l replaced the water heater a few months ago, the back flow preventer was on the top( hot water) outlet, made me wonder but there are many things different when it comes to TT's. It has the 2 bypass valves for hot and cold. I want be winterizing my water system, live in it full time, but when it's below 25 or so degree's l do drain the lines at the low point drains. I did take the back flow out and the spring assembly was damaged so l removed it and replaced the fitting so we could have hot water.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Here are photos of the 2 valve ( with backflow) and three valve. If you are working on it, I would add the third valve just in case you ever need to travel up north.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WH Bypass 2 valve.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	159487  
Attached Images

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:11 PM   #5

Name:   tapatalk_1514945001182.jpeg
Views: 688
Size:  26.9 KB
l can understand now why the backflow preventer was at the top, it caused them not to need a third valve, it served no other purpose (winterizing). Thank you for the insight. I will need a valve to bypass the water heater, which could be used for multiple purposes. Thank you
Old 01-02-2018, 09:13 PM   #6

Mine looks like this photo minus the top valve on the hot water line exiting water heater.

Tags
heater, suburban, vent, water, water heater