Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2017, 05:32 PM   #1

Suburban Water heater complaint response

Just a bit of info in case you run into what we did. I had the water heater board fry (thought because of a storm) bought a new one on Amazon for like $80 cause I am out of my 1 year warranty by a couple of months. Second trip on this new board it blew again. Emailed Suburban to see what is up. Mind you I bought my own board because it would actually cost me more to take it to a dealer under warranty in time and fuel.

Suburban is aware of an issue of the Q3 component on some water heater module boards that was caused by the manufacture of said component. Suburban is warranting a replacement module board (using CNE board) and filing warranty with the manufacture of the module board. My question, if the board failed as indicated in your email after only owning for 13 months, why didn’t the RV service center contact Suburban, we would have replaced the board at no charge as well as paid the warranty allowance time to replace it?

2017 FR Wildwood 201BHXL
2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch Ecoboost
zorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:14 PM   #2

thanks for the info my rig has a suburban water heater I'll keep this in mind
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:46 PM   #3

Mine is months old and only used during PDI. The next time it failed. I looked at it and it's burnt the same place.

The dinasour board has a fuse on it.

Thanks for the update/info.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #4

Looks like you have a burnt resistor next to the diode, just to the right of Q3
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #5

I went through 2 boards in 1 week on my 2018 Flagstaff, dealer contacted suburban and they sent a new style redesigned board for my camper and my neighbors who also has a 2018 which his board went also and we have had no problem for approx 3 weeks
godlobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #6

FR replaced the control board on the Suburan WH in my 2017 Flagstaff last year in Goshen. Quit on second trip out, which was on the way to Rally. Unit was 6 weeks old. Unit failed second trip out, propane only not working. On list for this years repair. Thanks for posting this! I seemed to remember tech looking at board and mentioning a burnt spot. Sounds like some one got a bad batch of component or something.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #7

Thanks for posting. I'm having the same issue. Didn't remove the board because it's mounted on the heater with double sided tape and can only be accessed through a narrow drawer in the bunkhouse, but I'm now sure this is the problem. WH stopped working only in propane mode. Brand new trailer two weeks old. Clicks but won't light. Can light manually but goes out after five seconds. Still works in electric mode which is why I didn't remove the board. Verified it's not the igniter / sensor by trying a new one. Under warranty. Going back to the dealer.

Lou
lapoldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapoldo View Post
Thanks for posting. I'm having the same issue. Didn't remove the board because it's mounted on the heater with double sided tape and can only be accessed through a narrow drawer in the bunkhouse, but I'm now sure this is the problem. WH stopped working only in propane mode. Brand new trailer two weeks old. Clicks but won't light. Can light manually but goes out after five seconds. Still works in electric mode which is why I didn't remove the board. Verified it's not the igniter / sensor by trying a new one. Under warranty. Going back to the dealer.

To me if it's clicking it isn't the board or not the same failure I have. I hear no clicking it instantly goes to DSI failure.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
To me if it's clicking it isn't the board or not the same failure I have. I hear no clicking it instantly goes to DSI failure.
I e-mailed Suburban and they e-mailed me back today(Ronnie) and was very nice. He said there was a board problem and for me to send in the board with Mod no., Ser no. and an explanation of problems. If board was bad, they would replace. Will remove this weekend and return.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #10

Seems like they should send a new board then have you return the old one. I do t think you'll be able to use the unit in electric mode once you remove the board. That will be a showstopper for my DW. Might have to wait until end of season on mine. Let me know how long it takes to get the replacement. Thanks.

Lou
lapoldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:07 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Seems like they should send a new board then have you return the old one. I do t think you'll be able to use the unit in electric mode once you remove the board. That will be a showstopper for my DW. Might have to wait until end of season on mine. Let me know how long it takes to get the replacement. Thanks.

Lou
Electric and gas are usually independent of one another. This way if one mode has a fault, the other mode of heating will not be affected. The faulty module boards are only connected to the 12 volt DC side, which controls only the propane mode.

The electric heating element is only 120 volt AC, and has it's own separate wiring and thermostat.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #12

Quote:

Lou

Check... will do.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:01 PM   #13

Most likely the problem I'm having. Thanks for posting the info.
PolarBearCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:42 AM   #14

2017 Rockwood 2109s with same problem.I replaced the board with a Dinosaur Electroncs board bought from Amazon.With the time and fuel involved in taking the trailer back to the dealer I fixed it myself .The Dinosaur board is made in USA and has a 3 year warrenty.Oem board said made in China on it.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
2017 Rockwood 2109s with same problem.I replaced the board with a Dinosaur Electroncs board bought from Amazon.With the time and fuel involved in taking the trailer back to the dealer I fixed it myself .The Dinosaur board is made in USA and has a 3 year warrenty.Oem board said made in China on it.
Yes! Same here!
2018 Rockwood WindjammerClick image for larger version

Name:	20171201_062429.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	157546
mchewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:40 PM   #16
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchewett View Post
Yes! Same here!
2018 Rockwood WindjammerAttachment 157546
It looks like that board has been repaired by someone that didn't know what they were doing. The solder joints look as though someone used a solder sucker on it, replaced the transistor and bent the terminals then forgot to apply new solder.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water heater, suburban, water, heater