Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #1

Suburban Water Heater, DSI not working....

First of all, yes I have propane & it's working with the other appliances.

This is our 3rd time out with our new TT, and on the previous two trips the Suburban water heater using propane worked without issue.

On this trip, on our first night after being set up for about 10 hours the hot water went cold. I noticed that the DSI fault lamp was illuminated, and since it was getting late I just shut off the inside water heater switch & turned on the outside electric water heater switch. The water heated as expected on electric.

Yesterday I made a few attempts at getting the propane/DSI to come back on, but the system just cycles 3 times & then the fault light comes back on. Before trying to get the DSI back up & running, I ran the hot water for a bit so the water heater tank would fill with cold water. I also turned off the electric switch, just to make certain I was just using the propane/DSI system.

Am I missing something? Thank goodness we have hot water with the electric.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.
velorandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:52 PM   #2

Open the door and look. Do you see a spark when its trying to light? Is the spark in the gas flow path? There has been some posts concerning a bad batch of boards. Have you tried to reset the 12V high limit switch?
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
Open the door and look. Do you see a spark when its trying to light? There has been some posts concerning a bad batch of boards. Have you tried to reset the 12V high limit switch?
I have not tried to witness a spark, I will though. Both of the reset buttons are depressed & have not popped out of their position, if indeed they do pop out.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:00 PM   #4

They dont really. You are pushing a small piece of plastic that pushes against a small metal piece. It only pops maybe an eighth of an inch. Not enough to notice through the rubber cover. Also check the 12 volt fuses to be sure you have not blown the one for the water heater
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
They dont really. You are pushing a small piece of plastic that pushes against a small metal piece. It only pops maybe an eighth of an inch. Not enough to notice through the rubber cover. Also check the 12 volt fuses to be sure you have not blown the one for the water heater
It's not sparking or even making the clicking noise you'd normally hear. I'm guessing it might be this "board" issue previously mentioned.

All the fuses look good.

It's the SW6 DE model, TT was manufactured November 2016.

It's still under warranty, so back to the dealer it goes.... again.

Thank you.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #6

Suburban Water Heater, DSI not working....

I put a Coke on the loving board failure.

To the OP. Send me a PM if you like and I will send you the Suburban contact info(or you can look it up). Mine did the same thing and found there is a recent problem with the boards. Mine went straight to DSI failure. No clicking. No nothing except failure. The dealer can easily do it if you prefer. I had to mail mine in and they replaced it...took 2-3 weeks. If you choose to buy one make sure you get a Dinosaur brand.

Here is the one for mine...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4290.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	150525
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I put a Coke on the loving board failure.

To the OP. Send me a PM if you like and I will send you the Suburban contact info(or you can look it up). Mine did the same thing and found there is a recent problem with the boards. Mine went straight to DSI failure. No clicking. No nothing except failure. The dealer can easily do it if you prefer. I had to mail mine in and they replaced it...took 2-3 weeks. If you choose to buy one make sure you get a Dinosaur brand.

Here is the one for mine...
Attachment 150525
X2 on the Dinosaur brand.................you will have to buy it, no warranty replacement but you will be getting a product that will not fail.

I used them in the past and their customer service is Outstanding!
Old 09-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #8

Same problem on a 2107 Rockwood .The dealer we bought the trailer from sells a lot of trailers but is famous for poor service so I bought a Dinosaur ignitor board from Amazon and fixed it myself.You will find a burnt transistor on the circuit board.The board is just stuck to the top of the water heater with double sided foam tape and you need to cut a wire tie to get slack in the wires to replace the board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0756.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	151682  
Attached Images

oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:33 PM   #9

Thanks for the info on replacing the board. Our TT has been at the dealer for 12 days, they told us 2 weeks. If this next one fails, I'll check into the dinosaur brand. Thank you.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:46 PM   #10

I can look under the sink and see the body of the water heater, encased in styrofoam. Where is the board located? And is it usual to have to pull the entire heater out to access it?
Pococj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #11

The circuit board was stuck on top of the water heater with double stick foam tape .1 wire to the igniter and a 4 pin edge connector.I did not remove the heater.The wires were bundled with wire ties.I cut the ties and pulled the board out while it was still connected .I have heard Suburban with exchange the board if you send the burnt board back but I wanted some quality American made parts.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #12

At this point I think I'll order a replacement board off Amazon, then cut an access through the base of the sink counter so I can get to the water heater. I'll have to move the two heating ducts out of the way, and then turn the cut out panel into a door.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:34 AM   #13

When rv’s are built they don’t seem to think about access for service.This water heater is used in many brands of rv.I only had to remove a piece of panel used for a storage space divider and reach in .After many years of working as an auto mechanic feeling around is second nature.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #14

Had the same type of circuit board fail in my suburban heater. $130 later, and it works just fine now. I bought the Dinosaur brand for my heater. Now that I know suburban uses the same junk board on the water heater, I will upgrade to the Dino board soon.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:38 PM   #15

I bought the Dinosaur board on Amazon.The Dinosaur website has some fitment info on it.The access is the hardest part of the job.For 20 minutes time of repair it wasn’t worth hauling the trailer to the dealer.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:44 PM   #16

Finally had to cut a hole in the sink cabinet base right by the front door. Reached in, pulled the board out; it wasn't fastened to anything. Pulled the ignition wire, opened the case, and saw the burnt transistor, and a hot resistor, probably one of the biasing resistors. So, it's off to Amazon for a replacement.
2011 Ford F-150 3.5 Twin Turbo
2018 Wildwood X-Lite 273QBXL
Old 11-13-2017, 06:22 PM   #17

Dinosaur UIB S board arrived. Cut the jumper, installed, hit the power, and we are heating water with gas! THE MAMA is happy, which means I'm allowed to be happy...

Thanks for the advice and assistance.

Next up is the refrigerator problem.
2011 Ford F-150 3.5 Twin Turbo
2018 Wildwood X-Lite 273QBXL
Old 11-18-2017, 02:30 PM   #18
54 Years, 13 RV's

Absolutely get the Dinosaur brand circuit board. They are made in America and duable. I had a failure of my WH board on the maiden voyage. Dealer replaced the Suburban board with a Dinosaur board. Works perfectly.

Dinosaur also has replacements for the furnace and fridge. Got both circuit boards on my work bench ready for installation as a pre-emptive measure. Got them from R & G Electronics in CA. Cheaper than Amazon, 2 day delivery. Real knowledgeable people (Ray) on the phone. 800-390-3908.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:54 AM   #19

while boondock camping for the thanksgiving holiday, our DSI light on our 2017 23ikss came on. same as mentioned above, could have electric heat but not gas. Camper is exactly 1 year old this weekend.
Do you think this is something I could fix myself, as we do have the extended warranty but we have 3 trips coming up and everyone says our dealer is not good on warranty work and will have it forever.
Is there a video of how to fix it??

2017 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS Solid Surface "Belle"
2010 Ford F150
"Life is Better in the Outdoors"
Days Camped 2016 - 28 days
Days Camped 2017 22days w/lots more planned
stoppercamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #20
54 Years, 13 RV's

If you have easy access to the back of the water heater, it takes 5-10 minutes. One edge connector to pull off and one igniter wire to pull off. Then reverse the process, turn it on, and enjoy the hot water.

Note: the edge connector will go on the board either way, but will only work one way. Look at the connector pins inside the plug. They must contact the gold contacts on the board.

I use the cr*p out of Amazon, but the above mentioned R&G are quicker, and slightly less $.

Tags
heater, suburban, water, water heater