Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #1

Question Suburban Water Heater: why no electric switch??

This is as much a rant as a question. Why in the heck is there no on/off switch on the control panel for the electric element in the Suburban heaters?? Our brandy new 2014 Flagstaff 27RLWS has a "Water Heater" switch on the inside panel that I just realized controls ONLY the propane side of the heater! The switch doesn't indicate propane or electric - just on off?? In order to activate the electric element in the heater one has to open the outside heater access door and turn on the (hidden) switch! This makes absolutely no sense to me. We've been on 5 outings now thinking that the propane automajically swiches to electric once we're on ground power! Duhhh!

The other bothersome thing is that when I did find the outside switch it had a piece of tape over it on the off position. I also discovered that the inside main breaker panel has a dedicated 15A breaker for the "electric" heater - which I can presumably use as an on/off switch without having to open the outside access panel. Has this troubled anyone else??

Old 10-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Always Learning

I think that is a brand by brand thing. My camper has an on/off switch for both the electric and propane elements in the water heater. It also has the switch out on the water heater itself AND a break in the box for it (not sure what else shares that slot).

The reason for the tape in the off position is that if you turn on the electric heating element without water in the tank, it can burn out the heating element within minutes.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtreible View Post
This is as much a rant as a question. Why in the heck is there no on/off switch on the control panel for the electric element in the Suburban heaters?? Our brandy new 2014 Flagstaff 27RLWS has a "Water Heater" switch on the inside panel that I just realized controls ONLY the propane side of the heater! The switch doesn't indicate propane or electric - just on off?? In order to activate the electric element in the heater one has to open the outside heater access door and turn on the (hidden) switch! This makes absolutely no sense to me. We've been on 5 outings now thinking that the propane automajically swiches to electric once we're on ground power! Duhhh! The other bothersome thing is that when I did find the outside switch it had a piece of tape over it on the off position. I also discovered that the inside main breaker panel has a dedicated 15A breaker for the "electric" heater - which I can presumably use as an on/off switch without having to open the outside access panel. Has this troubled anyone else??
Yep pretty cheezy. I just ran a hot wire from the breaker to a switch. Yoila HW switch. Shouldn't have to tho...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2856570627.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	41231  
Old 10-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #4

The reason I think they do that is to try to get you to think about whether or not your WH tank has water in it before you throw that switch.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
The reason I think they do that is to try to get you to think about whether or not your WH tank has water in it before you throw that switch.
Excellent point Barry, the electric element will burn out in seconds, not minutes without water in the tank. Putting an inside switch or using the breaker, IMO is asking for a burned out element.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Excellent point Barry, the electric element will burn out in seconds, not minutes without water in the tank. Putting an inside switch or using the breaker, IMO is asking for a burned out element.
Thanks for the correction. I knew it was quick, but didn't want to exaggerate it.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Thanks for the correction. I knew it was quick, but didn't want to exaggerate it.
Rumor has it around 15-20 seconds.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Yowza. Ok- I'll stick with saying "seconds" in the future.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #9

Ain't buying it! I get that U can fry a dry heater pretty quickly. But putting a switch inside the access door does nothing to assure you've filled your heater! On top of which the propane system's switch is on the control panel. How does that prevent a toasted heater should you errantly turn it on with an empty heater core?

How about Suburban just putting a water sensor in the heater - no water no fire! Like on our Rennai on-demand gas water heater here at home. Seems like in this day and age it'd be a no-brainer. Putting a piece of tape over a power switch to "remind" me to fill the tank seems like dark ages rationale!

Old 10-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Ain't buying it! I get that U can fry a dry heater pretty quickly. But putting a switch inside the access door does nothing to assure you've filled your heater! On top of which the propane system's switch is on the control panel. How does that prevent a toasted heater should you errantly turn it on with an empty heater core?

How about Suburban just putting a water sensor in the heater - no water no fire! Like on our Rennai on-demand gas water heater here at home. Seems like in this day and age it'd be a no-brainer. Putting a piece of tape over a power switch to "remind" me to fill the tank seems like dark ages rationale!
At least if you have to go outside to check the switch, you are right there and can flip the relief valve to check for water. The propane will just heat the tank and has no electrical connection except to ignite the burner.

Regardless, you can do what you want as it is your trailer. I will leave mine as furnished.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'd blame this on a WORTHLESS dealer and a POOR pdi.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #12
Denver, CO

Quote:
I never empty my tank, except to clean out and filler right back up.

Good point tho.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:24 AM   #13

I just added a lighted switch to mine to make it easier.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #14

It's not that big of a deal for me. After hooking the trailer to the electric pedestal I open the panel and flip the switch to heat water with electric. I don't turn it off again until I'm ready to unhook from the pedestal and depart the site.

At least you have the electric option, some folks have a tankless water heater and those are propane only.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #15

i don't see where a hidden switch has anything to do with an interior switch. Hers a tip, add one. they will be in series, so when arriving at the camp site turn on the outside sw and then micro manage it from the inside with a light sw method. that way you still have turn off outside sw on your check list and cant burn it up. i don't know about y'all but campers on a 30 amp CB will trip if too much stuff is on. god forbid a woman spools up a hair dryer while i am microwaving some bacon with the coffee pot going then the hot water cycles when not needed. a switch in no way should compromise the risk of burning it up IMHO. now if you stop turning it off when the camping is over then all bets are off. I say this because i leave my camper plugged in with the water pump off and could see a scenario where it runs dry from a leak or drain back or some other phenomenon.
wilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:04 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
My buddy Sam said his burned out almost immediately when he was draining his hot water heater. As the water was draining, he noticed the black switch for the first time. Wondering what it was he flipped it on and sparks shot out of the open anode plug.

Happens far too often and they are a pain to change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	181969_1856779983739_1368047550_32056946_3578473_n.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	41658   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8081623.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	41659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocker Switch.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	41660  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
We've been on 5 outings now thinking that the propane automajically swiches to electric once we're on ground power! Duhhh! .....snip.....
breaker panel has a dedicated 15A breaker for the "electric" heater - which I can presumably use as an on/off switch without having to open the outside access panel.
OK we get it you are a bit peeved but you have the exact same setup that
the majority of dual heat water heaters have.
It's not a conspiracy by your dealer or your manufacturer to make your
life difficult.
It's cheaper and as was pointed out- if you have to go outside and open
the WH access panel you at least should pause and ask yourself "is there
water in here" before you flip the switch.

I'm puzzled how you had 5 outings and still thought it automatically
switched from propane to electric? Mine makes enough noise on propane
I can hear the burner light and hear it while it's burning.

And if your breaker is only controlling the WH electric heater yes you can
use it for an inside on/off switch.
I've been doing that for 8 years over 2 trailers.

Oh, yeah- confession- add me to the "burned out my electric element" club!
Got it right in Feb when we went south for a couple weeks of fun in the sun.
Got it wrong when we went out for our 1st summer trip. ( I plugged us into the power post, connected the water, leveled the trailer, went inside
to flip on the WH breaker breaker is already ON! Still had air in the
WH tank and no more electric hot water.....)

Here is a link to the cheapest place to purchase a new element when you
burn yours out. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ent-39334.html This may be found in our FAQ water heater area.

You learned something here! Enjoy your new rig!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #18
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
My buddy Sam said his burned out almost immediately when he was draining his hot water heater. As the water was draining, he noticed the black switch for the first time. Wondering what it was he flipped it on and sparks shot out of the open anode plug.

That had to have gotten his attention!

I really like the idea of the safety pin on the switch. My old TT was propane only, and I worry about inadvertently turning the element on while dry on my new one.
Looks like a great mod.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
You got THAT right! You have to unhook the LP line and remove the
burner assembly to get to the electric element. Actually changing
the element is easy -if- you have the required socket.
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I'm puzzled how you had 5 outings and still thought it automatically switched from propane to electric? Mine makes enough noise on propane I can hear the burner light and hear it while it's burning.
That's easy to explain being fairly new to RVing myself! You don't know until you know...

We recently had a stop everything moment when my water heater kicked on, on propane and we happened to be sitting on the couch beside of it. I even ended up outside with a flash light to figure out what the "new" noise was. AND- this wasn't the first time we use it on propane. It was just the first time it was quiet (2 kids does not usually equal quiet) and with where we were sitting and had windows open and ... I'm new at all of this!

Tags
electric, heater, hot water, suburban, water, water heater