Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #1

Suggestions on blue tank storage

The last two trips out I forgot my blue tank and needed it each time. Luckily we were with friends who had theirs which I used. Now I'm looking into a way to store the blue tank on the TT in some manner. I've seen others who strap it to the rear ladder but I really don't like that look. My TT has the axles under the springs so it sits really high and there is plenty of room under the TT. Has anyone made a way to store the blue tank under their TT or does anyone know of any type storage that can be purchased and installed?

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:05 PM   #2

Depends how handy you are with cutting metal and welding up a mount for underneath. I grabbed up one to make it easier to drop my spare tire with a small floor Jack under my C.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
Site Team

You can't put it in your truck bed? That's where mine goes.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:08 PM   #4

I have taken the blue tank in the bed of my truck--when I can remember to take it. I'm wanting to add something to my TT that holds the tank when not in use. After a trip out when I get the TT home I have a way to wash out the grey, black, and blue tank (if used) so they are really clean. After cleaning out the blue tank I want a way to place the blue tank into some type of storage made on to the TT. I did look into the BAL under the frame tire storage unit and that would be what I would want. As far as making something like that--I'm a retired machinist, millwright, sheet metal, and other trades person with a nice shop out back with MIG welder, plasma torch, sheet metal bender, etc. I had not thought about something like the BAL tire storage system but now I'm thinking I can, and will, do something like that.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #5

I bought a BAL Hide a Spare and use it to store my telescoping ladder and tote tank. I had to rig up some support bars perpendicularly for the ladder, but the tote fits just fine. I strap it down with several bungees.

I like this setup because it keeps the plastic out of the sun (and not so obvious while in storage).
Old 06-19-2019, 07:23 PM   #6

Some have used a BAL hide-a-spare tire carrier that goes underneath. We have one on our TT. I'd consider using another for our tote tank but there's no room for a 2nd one.

I agree, a tote tank on a ladder at the back just doesn't exactly look aesthetically pleasing. I don't even like the look of a spare tire on the bumper.

^^^ I see someone just beat me on the BAL carrier.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:23 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeBier View Post
I bought a BAL Hide a Spare and use it to store my telescoping ladder and tote tank. I had to rig up some support bars perpendicularly for the ladder, but the tote fits just fine. I strap it down with several bungees.

I like this setup because it keeps the plastic out of the sun (and not so obvious while in storage).
Mind posting pictures of your ladder setup on the hide a spare? I'm without a ladder these days and hate it.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:38 AM   #8

Unfortunately, I don’t have the trailer near me right now. It’s getting some warranty work done to it. But I’ll try to explain what I did.

I didn’t want to screw anything into the BAL tube bars because I figured it would weaken the bars. Plus, the two ends of the BAL telescope together. I didn’t bother to determine how far the one slid into the other. So instead, I decided to clamp the cross pieces to the BAL using some metal hose clamps.

For the cross pieces, I bought 2 pieces of shelf track from home depot. They were the right length and had the slits in them so I wouldn’t have to do any drilling. I attached two hose clamps to each shelf track using some small bolts and nuts/washers with loctite. The clamps and the nuts were on the inside of the “C” channel. I then attached the two cross bars by attaching the clamps to the two opposite bars of the BAL. Using two shelf tracks made two perpendicular cross bars about 20” or so from one another.

To keep the ladder from sliding off the sides of the cross bars, I attached L shaped corner braces at each end of the cross bars using bolts/nuts/loctite. These were predrilled too, so I didn’t have to do anything to them. I think they're 4".

Once the ladder is laid onto the cross bars, I bungee the whole thing down, making sure the bungees go over the BAL, not the cross bars (in case the bands fail). If you build it where the ladder would be sitting over the tire support plate, you could use that to hold the ladder in place, using a long U bolt or something.

I attached a crude cross view to show you the setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BAL.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	207824  
Old 06-20-2019, 12:51 PM   #9

I've seen people going down the highway with them mounted on a rack on the back of their rig. I've seen a few that had a shelf like thing welded or bolted underneath that the empty tank slides into and rides. Since they are empty when traveling weight and stress on rig is not an issue.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
I've seen people going down the highway with them mounted on a rack on the back of their rig. I've seen a few that had a shelf like thing welded or bolted underneath that the empty tank slides into and rides. Since they are empty when traveling weight and stress on rig is not an issue.
That’s how I travel , put in on the carrier and forget about it until needed.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
The last two trips out I forgot my blue tank and needed it each time. Luckily we were with friends who had theirs which I used. Now I'm looking into a way to store the blue tank on the TT in some manner. I've seen others who strap it to the rear ladder but I really don't like that look. My TT has the axles under the springs so it sits really high and there is plenty of room under the TT. Has anyone made a way to store the blue tank under their TT or does anyone know of any type storage that can be purchased and installed?
I'd keep it in the truck and come up with a check list.
I have a few check list......
*Spring loading trailer check list, we empty ours for winter.
* trip check list ( did we use up anything from last trip )
* leave campground list. Water psi, electrical cord, check all cabinet door closed, ect
Greg in Michigan
2019 rockwood 2606ws
2018 Nissan titan xd Cummins turbo diesel
Greg in michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, tank