Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2015, 11:08 PM   #1

Tank Flush Causes Water Ingress

So I drained my tanks for the first time tonight and flushed the black till it ran clean.

The wife and I put out the slide to dump some anti freeze down the p traps in the bathroom before we backed it into our slot.

The floor of the bathroom was soaking wet. I opened the cabinet under the sink and everything was soaked. It appeared water came up the hole in the floor where the pex came in for the faucet. We got it all cleaned up a I dried everything with towels.

We added a couple extra desiccant packs but I will be calling the dealer tomorrow. My cargo bay was soaked too.

Any ideas of what it could be and has anyone encountered this before?

I had blown out and pumped antifreeze through my lines the day before so there shouldn't have been any freshwater anywhere except from the flush.

Thanks,

B

*Trailer is a 2016 XLR nitro 29udql5
barron.barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:34 PM   #2

Are you sure it came up from the floor and not down from the check valve in the flush line? My back flow device is mounted high in the bathroom wall between the sink and the shower. Maybe it leaked and the water you saw was from above and not below...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Are you sure it came up from the floor and not down from the check valve in the flush line? My back flow device is mounted high in the bathroom wall between the sink and the shower. Maybe it leaked and the water you saw was from above and not below...
X2, look for one of these.....
Attached Images

Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:03 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
More than likely it is the culprit. Having a factory installed brass back flow valve on my 5er, I eliminated that whole mess along with the 8'-10' of excess hose. Also just this week (after 3 yrs) I discovered one of the factory clamp hose fittings was leaking. Cut the junky band off and replaced with a regular screw tightening hose clamp. No more leaks. Will be buying a box of hose clamps for future leaks that no doubt will occur.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:22 AM   #5

Tank Flush Causes Water Ingress

Good to know. I saw that but it seemed fairly dry but wasn't sure if that particular line was charged. Now I know.

Odd part was I did have a back flow preventer on the hose but who knows maybe that valve was bad. I hadn't tested the brand new valve prior to use.

I'll mention this when I talk to the dealer today.

The good news is, this appears to be the worst of my incidents from our maiden shakedown. Given some horror stories I've read I think that's why I'm not in hulk smash mode right now. Well that and I haven't talked to the dealer yet, depending on their attitude I may become a little grumpy.

Thanks guys,

B
barron.barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #6
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Water still circulates thru factory plastic valve...need to do what OC advised. I did away with mine for that very reason.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
I had my backflow valve get stuck by a bug that got into the line. It did the same thing, water everywhere in the bathroom. The bug got into the open end of the hose or into the inlet to the flush line when it was open. I got a new valve and then found the problem when I took the valve out. I ended up cleaning the old valve by removing the bug, and reinstalled it about 4 years ago and haven't had a problem since. I did put a quick disconnect female fitting onto the flush inlet. Then when I am not using the flush, I insert a male quick connect with a cap on it to keep out any debris or bugs. No more problems with back flow preventer.
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water