Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #21
Site Team - Lou

Flyboy?

I am more than a pretty face and a big watch...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #22

My previous post was meant for yours one earlier than it appears (couldn't see that you had posted while I was typing). Didn't mean to be "piling on".

The tremendous value of you contributions to this forum far out weigh any occasional point of confusion, and that was one very impressive analysis!
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
My previous post was meant for yours one earlier than it appears (couldn't see that you had posted while I was typing). Didn't mean to be "piling on".

The tremendous value of you contributions to this forum far out weigh any occasional point of confusion, and that was one very impressive analysis!
We posed within minutes of each other with fairly long and spell checked posts. I had no doubt you were not "piling on."
Old 01-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz08h5 View Post
The black tank valve can be opened but nothing comes out so it is frozen.
Uh oh....the dreaded POOPSICLE!!

Looks like you're already working on figuring out your tank heaters. Even if you find out that the heaters you have are working, and you still freeze up at the valves, I known people who have had to make a temporary enclosure around the valve and use electric (or propane) heaters to thaw out their poopsicle to be able to dump. A small roll of reflectix works to enclose the valve, then throw as much heat at it as you can.

Good luck!
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #25

Well, it warmed up enough today to drain the black tank, or at least drain it partly. I think there is a bit of ice preventing full drainage. I now know that I didn't turn my tank heaters on in time to prevent my freezing problem. It got down to 16 degrees, so I am not sure it would have made any difference at this temperature. I wasn't expecting to be using the trailer in this temperature so I was not prepared. The next time I will be staying further south. The fishing was nice but it was too cold.

Thanks for all the inputs.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #26

Herk, Im in the utility industry. We used to say " half the voltage - quarter the wattage" or Double the voltage - quadrouple the watts. We would do this if we had 440 volt rated heaters but only 220 v supply = more heaters.
Paul
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #27
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Herk, Im in the utility industry. We used to say " half the voltage - quarter the wattage" or Double the voltage - quadrouple the watts. We would do this if we had 440 volt rated heaters but only 220 v supply = more heaters.
Paul
I would be curious to know where the "gauge" came from.
I have never heard it before.
Herk

Well here you go! It makes perfect sense now...
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/277_volt_h...t_to_110_volts

Halving the voltage also halves the amps. Multiply them together and you get 1/4 the power.

Some more on this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1013002AAySfvn
Old 01-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #28

What part of southeastern pa are you. I'm in delaware County, near Chadds Ford.
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #29

Just a question;
Is the OP talking about actual TANK heaters, or the heating pads attached to the outlet pipes?
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #30
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
What part of southeastern pa are you. I'm in delaware County, near Chadds Ford.
Lower Bucks County near the junction of the 3 counties.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #31
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Just a question;
Is the OP talking about actual TANK heaters, or the heating pads attached to the outlet pipes?
My impression was he was unfamiliar with the arrangement and operation of the tank heaters. The only way the dump valves can freeze shut is if the water in the tank is freezing and splashes on the valve seal.

The tank heater would be overwhelmed trying to bring the frozen water up to liquid state.

The pipe heaters are only located in areas where water can pool outside the tank; typically at elbows or sections of pipe just prior to an end of run dump valve some distance from the tank. (see photo of pipe heater on web site)
Old 01-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #32

We spent two weeks over the Christmas holiday on the road with below freezing temperatures every single night. We had 2F (minus 17 c ) temperatures at least one night. The water and drain systems functioned quite well AFTER my sweet husband removed the plastic baffle in the water compartment where the water filter / water pump live. That allowed heat from the furnace ducts to keep the water pump from freezing. The system functions well BUT Arctic packs alone will not work you have to have the furnace operating as well OR if you are using electric heaters circulate the warm air into the underbelly through the ducts. Some thermostats have a fan only setting which would allow you to do that. Ours doesn't there is a modification here on this forum that shows how to re-wire the blower from the furnace so it can operate independently. That's on our list! I also purchased a tiny ceramic heater - 200 watts to use in the water filter / pump compartment if need be to warm things up - but it hasn't been necessary. I bought ($10 at Walmart) a wireless indoor outdoor thermometer to keep track of temperatures in the water system. Even in single digits driving on the road the temperature in has been at 32. I'm planning on adding some insulation to the water pump/filter compartment to help hold in the heat.
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #33

I was talking about the heating pads on the tank bottoms. My TT has nothing on the pipes between the tanks and the valves. It will have to be a mod if I do this again.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #34
Denver, CO

Red face how many heaters?

I just picked up my new 2013 275VRL fiver and was reading this post when I couldn't figure out what the "tank heater" switch.

I checked it today and found that the "heater" was pulling 9 amps. Does that mean that I have only 1 pad down there. It wasn't very cold so maybe one or more were shut off.

I will check it next time it is cold and I am out with the camper to see what the amperage draw is. I have the cold weather package I think, but am not really sure of anything. I can't even figure what kind of charger it has without taking the electrical panel out and looking in there. I wonder what amps it is rated for. It seemed ot keep up when I turned on all the lights (16 amps) and the tank heater (9 amps) so it is at least 25 amps, I guess.

In my recently traded in 2008 Lakota, I could see all that stuff preatty easily. The V-Cross has everything hidden, pretty much.

Garbonz
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:31 AM   #35

So with these tank heaters in place and being a full timer whats the story on running the tank heaters while the grey valves/tanks are open and empty. Will it damage the tank if it is mostly empty..?

I have temps in the negative digits every night and so far have had no problems with freezing. I have insulated my water hose incoming and the lines that are visible in the passthrough and forward storage as well as the valve / water filter box. Black tank valve is closed and both grey tank valves are open and most important the water is turned on and left running. I also have to small space heaters one on the floor by the bathroom and the second on the floor in the kitchen. They keep our place a cozy 70 ( Canadian eh..!) The propane furnace is set to turn on should it drop by 3 degrees insuring heat everywhere also a secondary backup in case the power goes out while I am out.

Is this a good idea or ?? Just about everyone around me runs a similar set up if not the same and we have had no issues...........

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #36
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
I checked it today and found that the "heater" was pulling 9 amps. Does that mean that I have only 1 pad down there. It wasn't very cold so maybe one or more were shut off. Garbonz
UltraHeat - Pipe Heaters

Depending on the model heating pad that is stuck to your tanks, 9 volts is just about right for 2 tanks running of the 4.5 amp models OR if you are on battery and the DCV is not 13.5 volts (something less) it could be the 5 amp model, just pulling reduced amps due to the less than 13.5 condition.

You are correct, that the pads will modulate on their own based on the temperature of the THAT tank. The temp will depend on whether there is water and how much.

With a full tank the heater will be on a long time to heat the water; then off a long time while it cools down. An empty tank will be on almost all the time because there is no heat sink to hold the heat and the plastic will cool quickly.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #37
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by puff View Post
So with these tank heaters in place and being a full timer whats the story on running the tank heaters while the grey valves/tanks are open and empty. Will it damage the tank if it is mostly empty..?

I have temps in the negative digits every night and so far have had no problems with freezing. I have insulated my water hose incoming and the lines that are visible in the passthrough and forward storage as well as the valve / water filter box. Black tank valve is closed and both grey tank valves are open and most important the water is turned on and left running. I also have to small space heaters one on the floor by the bathroom and the second on the floor in the kitchen. They keep our place a cozy 70 ( Canadian eh..!) The propane furnace is set to turn on should it drop by 3 degrees insuring heat everywhere also a secondary backup in case the power goes out while I am out.

Is this a good idea or ?? Just about everyone around me runs a similar set up if not the same and we have had no issues...........
If it works for you great! My only suggestion is to keep the gray valve closed until you dump, too. Kitchen waste and grease will stick to the walls and eventually your indicator probes in the gray tank will stop working.