Old 04-03-2019, 10:06 PM   #1
SPRING IS COMING!!!

Tank Sensor MicroMonitor Panel

My dealer's maintenance department really "hooked me up" on this one...

I took the camper in for its "annual inspection" back in November for it's "Forever Warranty"... while it was in there, I told them that the black tank indicator lights and the grey tank indicator lights were reversed... "black" indicated the level in the grey tank, and vice versa... and asked if they could fix it. "No problem", they said.

Brought the camper home, and put it away for the winter.

Today, I dewinterized, and found out that now ALL the tanks are indicating the wrong tank... they fixed it good for sure.

I need to find out how to get into that panel to change the wires myself and make it right... I tried pulling on the panel and I can't get it open, I'm afraid I'm going to pull the thing off the wall if I pull any harder.

How do you get into this thing? Mine is in a location where I don't have visibility on the left hand side of the monitor panel at all... but it looks like there is a little tab of some sort on the left side.

Help me before I break this thing trying to get into it. I know it can't be that hard, but I just don't know the combination to this lock

Here's the panel I have:
Attached Images

BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:48 PM   #2
Retired Old Fart

The tab on the left side is where it opens. The LED panel will then tilt to the right and out. There should be a multi-plug into that circuit board and 4 square drive screws if you need to remove the remainder of the unit from the walls. If it's just the tank indicators that are swapped around, that is in the wiring to the LED panel.

I'm attaching a set of schematics and a troubleshooting manual for the KIB21 micro panel. In theory the color code should be right and if it is, it should be easy to spot the screwed up wires. Or it could be that they ran the wrong wires to the wrong tank under the unit instead of mixing it up in the sensor panel.

Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KIM M21 Micro wiring schematic.pdf (75.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: pdf KIB Monitor Panel Manual & schematics.pdf (338.3 KB, 35 views)

dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:54 PM   #3
Retired Old Fart

Also look at this Youtube Video. It's of a SeeLevel II monitor upgrade, but at the 1:55 mark (should be cued to that point in the link), he shows removing the front cover of the KIB micro unit he is replacing. It also shows the wiring behind the panel and for the other switches so you will know what to expect. It's not for the faint of heart, but don't panic. If you have a multi-meter it will be your friend if the factory screwed up the wiring under the unit.

https://youtu.be/URrKFZmSNXY?t=115
Old 04-04-2019, 12:35 AM   #4
SPRING IS COMING!!!

Thanks guys!!

That's exactly the information I needed!

The factory just had the Black and the Grey tanks switched... but then the dealer "fixed" it for me, and now ALL 4 tanks are jumbled around...

I figured out what button is looking at what tank, now I just have to go into the wires and straighten it out. Shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks for the video... I could not get that panel to come apart... but I thought that the outer part that is actually screwed to the wall would snap off of an internal plate... I see now that isn't the case!

Thanks again!!!!!
Old 04-04-2019, 05:31 PM   #5
Paul & Dianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
The tab on the left side is where it opens. The LED panel will then tilt to the right and out. There should be a multi-plug into that circuit board and 4 square drive screws if you need to remove the remainder of the unit from the walls. If it's just the tank indicators that are swapped around, that is in the wiring to the LED panel.

I'm attaching a set of schematics and a troubleshooting manual for the KIB21 micro panel. In theory the color code should be right and if it is, it should be easy to spot the screwed up wires. Or it could be that they ran the wrong wires to the wrong tank under the unit instead of mixing it up in the sensor panel.

Hope this helps.

I am guessing that if the OP had it into the dealer, and it came back worse than it started... then the dealer had that same manual and the wiring either: A) doesn't match the manual color codes at all - that is, they used whatever multiconductor they had lying around when building it; or, 2) the dealer wired it to the color code and the original install at the tanks paid no attention to that.

BB, be interesting to see what you find when you open it up. You'll probably have to just mess with one tank at a time, though, and figure out which wire is which. Let us know what you find!
Old 04-04-2019, 10:21 PM   #6
SPRING IS COMING!!!

Well, I finally got into the panel this morning. Didn't have enough time to fix everything but I did figure out what wires need to go where.

Looking at their handiwork, I don't know what wiring diagram they were looking at, probably none at all, because what they hooked up is nowhere close to the diagram that you guys gave me. Logic would dictate that if only 2 lights were wrong... you would only have to swap 2 wires... so why they cut all 4 is beyond me. It's not confidence inspiring though.

I had to sit down with a notepad and chart it all out... but i think I got it figured out.

Thanks again for the tip on how to get into that thing-- I still had to get a stubby screwdriver to pry it open, it was tough to get into!

And thanks for the diagrams!!! I searched for over an hour with no luck before I posted my problem on here. That made it easy to figure out what wires need to go where.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:16 PM   #7
SPRING IS COMING!!!

Got my panel re-wired this morning. It all worked correctly the first time --- Even a blind squirel finds a nut every now and then!

Thanks guys for help!!! I owe you one!
Old 04-06-2019, 11:07 PM   #8
Retired Old Fart

Glad to hear it worked out!

Tags
tank