Old 06-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #1

Tank Smells, But Not From The Tanks Themselves

Trailer is a 2001 All American Sport.

Problem- We get a wretched tank smell every time we run water down the sink, and to a lesser extent toilet flushes. I can't find the source, it's not coming from either of the sinks nor the toilet. It just hangs in the air. It's primarily in the living area, not the bathroom. The traps are clean and don't smell or have any debris.

We're in Phoenix in July, and the A/C is running a decent amount. I noticed we only catch the smell when the A/C is on, and there is no smell when it isn't.

I'm beginning to wonder if the A/C unit has a fresh air intake near enough to the tank vents, that it can draw in the tank smell when it's pushed out by the incoming water? If so that strikes me as another glaring design flaw, but I'm not sure what I can do about it. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there another source of tank smell that I should investigate?

Old 06-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #2

Vent pipe that goes up in the walls that vent outside might be disconnected ?

Old 06-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #3

Does that mean cutting a hole in the wall to check?
Old 06-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #4

Look under the kitchen sink for a little vent in that drain line. It's probably the culprit. Cheap to replace.

sent by snail mail
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #5

Do you mean this vent?

This is under the sink right next to the wall. The pipe leads down into the tank. I don't smell anything under the cabinet when I run water down. I really only smell it around standing height and further back from the sink area, almost right up against the door leading to the garage. Right under this thing:

Anyone know what this is? It's definitely not speakers as far as I can tell. But I have no idea how this could be intertwined with the drains. Is it some sort of air intake for the a/c?
Old 06-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #6

Never mind, that's just a speaker box that was conveniently disconnected by the previous owner. Back to square 1.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 06-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #7

If you smell a foul odor only when the A/C is running, maybe the A/C needs to be checked for mold. It might also be possible that the condensate drain is plugged on the roof, under the big cover over the A/C.

Carefully get up on the roof and check things out.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:56 AM   #8

It's definitely not the A/C unit. When it runs, there is no smell provided we aren't running water. We get the smell when water is going down the sink, chiefly the kitchen sink. The A/C unit just spreads it around as we get the smell to a lesser extent when we're running water but the A/C isn't running.

What is the structure in the vent pipes like? I see two little pegs sticking out of the roof which I assume are the black and gray tank vent outlets, is there a way for those to get blocked? I'd like to check them out.

Since I've never been on my roof, is it safe to walk on? Should I avoid stepping in certain spots, or is the whole thing capable of supporting 175lbs?
Old 06-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #9

I still would try changing that little air valve out under the sink. I've had one or two times where the wind was just right and was blowing the "stink" back down the side of my camper, but that was outside.

sent by snail mail
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #10

Where do I find the valve? Is it a universal item or is there a specific part number?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forest River Forums mobile app

Tags
tank