Old 01-24-2015, 01:53 PM   #11
Our V Lite came from the factory with (Heat Pads on all (4) tanks as well as All the (Piping) that is Outside the (Enclosed Belly) valves,elbows,and straight runs! There is a (LOT) of heat pads and wire most is (INSIDE the Enclosed Belly)! There is (ONLY) (1) illuminated switch for (ALL of these heat pads),I have NO idea how a person can tell (Easily) if ALL are working! It is a (Snake Pit Mess of Wiring) inside the (Belly covering) and you would need to drop (30+ Feet) of belly to probe all the Heat Pads! Youroo!!Ours are (12V).

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:06 PM   #12
Send a message via Skype™ to Eaglelover
Tank Heaters

My heater thermostats are wired out to the black and grey tank valves. There is a black foam wrap around the tank side of the valves and the sensors are under the foam. They are 12V. Just a FYI, I had to remove the converter from the wall and I was surprised to find a fuse holder for the pads behind the converter. I would have never thought to look there. There is also a relay that activates the power to the pads. The switch on the panel only activates the relay and that sends power to the pads. Nothing about that in the manual !! Regards; Frank

Eaglelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #13
Team Bleu
Don;t think so, even if you had it on, it will only go into action when temps are below 40 or 35
DBsRedVett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:47 PM   #14
When we purchased our 2014 flagstaff last spring, the dealer told us the tank warmer was on a thermostat.
greymedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #15
Our Georgetown had the Arctic Pack option. There were two elements on each of the black and grey tanks. The heaters were thermostatically controlled (built in, not adjustable), The switched on at 40F and stayed on until 64F.

I couldn't see any point in heating sewage to 64 degrees or drawing 28 amps out of the house batteries (7 amps per pad) to do so. The pads were quite small and I was concerned about possibly melting through the plastic tank wall.

Since we never camped in cold weather, they never got used.
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:01 PM   #16
Shouldnt have caused any damage though its not a recommended practice.

The pads have internal thermostats, and should cut out long before causing any damage to the tank, though with no mass to heat up it causes it to 'short cycle' and could cause premature failure of the thermostat.
'14 XLR 395AMP
'16 Ram 3500 DRW, 6.7 cummins w/aisin trans and 4.10 gears
ykdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:43 PM   #17
Originally Posted by BarbRude View Post
I'm hoping we didn't mess up, the tank warmer for our fresh water tank was on for 13 hours while the tank was empty. Could we have a problem, like a melted fresh water tank? Any advise will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Really, depends on what material your freshwater tank is made of. If it's a common rotationally molded polyethylene tank, it may have caused the bottom to droop a bit because polyethylene is a polymer that softens with heat. Though, it's more likely a non-thermostatically controlled pad would burn out before that. However, unless something has changed, FR uses thermostatically controlled 12VDC pads when the Arctic Pack or heated tank option is ordered. So as soon as the temperature reaches 65 degF they cut off.

geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote