Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #1

Tankless

Thinking of going tankless hot water system on my ceder creek. Any pros and cons.
armydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #2

It's a love / hate relationship. Those of us who have them either love or hate them. I am one of the lovers of this system. No waiting for hot water or limit to how much there is.

I'm sure the haters will be here soon enough.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #3

Loved my tankless in a vacation house I used to own. I am curious about the cost to put in an rv.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forest River Forums mobile app
lkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by armydriver View Post
Thinking of going tankless hot water system on my ceder creek. Any pros and cons.

Not worth the effort or money.
What's wrong with your 10 gas water heater?
Unless you have 10 people taking a shower at once you should have plenty of hot water with what you have.

OH are you planning to have a propane truck near by because they suck plenty of propane.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #5

OP has a 10g tank? That's awesome. Ours is 6g and we never run out. We are both ex military though...and the kids do say sir/maam and salute the flag.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #6

right on good information to ponder
armydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #7

I have just purchased the 50,000 Atwood. It is based off of the PrecisionTemp unit. I have not put it in yet but I also have installed an all brass shower faucet and oxygenics shower head and ultra flexible hose.

I will keep my 6 gallon just in case we have an issue but there are 5 in my family and friends of the kids normally join us on outings as well.

My DW also loves her showers so I will do for her what is needed to keep the peace!!

I am aware that they can use propane but I can't imagine running out in a weeks time.

YMMV
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #8

I will be removing my Girard tankless soon. If you camp without hookups, I think it wastes water and takes power from my batteries to run and I can never get the temp I want. You have to run more water to get a lower temp. Yes I know that I can add cold water, but running on the onboard pump, this lowers the flow to the water heater which gives you hotter water.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:15 AM   #9
Old Camping Squid

I love my tankless heater. I have four grand-daughters and my wife two of them like to take a bath and not a shower. I have seen them wait about a half hour waiting on the old hot water tank to heat back up... Now they have more hot water than they can use.
Cons: 1) It does uses more battery power because while you use it a fan runs the entire time... 2) It makes more noise ( the fan ) 3) Even though it does use less gas, I find we use more because we all ( me as well ) take real long hot showers or baths.
Pors: 1) I am setup with full hook-up, Nothing beats a very long hot shower after you have been out four wheeling all day. 2) You will never run out of hot water. The entire Family will shower when they want and no one will ever have to wait for it to heat up. 3) It does save you gas, if you use it the same way as would with a tank heater. 4) It comes with a control knob to adjust the water temp, so you set the max temp you want and it will stay that temp all day.
For me and my Family we will never go back to a tank heater.
EZgo TXT and ClubCar Precedent golf carts
2009 Forest River Salem 30QBSS
U.S. Navy Veteran
Eagle-751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-751 View Post
I love my tankless heater. I have four grand-daughters and my wife two of them
I can barely handle one wife, thumbs up if you can handle two . I know what you meant, it's how it read.

With that many RVers you definitely need something more than the regular water heaters.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #11
Old Camping Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
I can barely handle one wife, thumbs up if you can handle two . I know what you meant, it's how it read.
WOW... Punctuation makes a huge difference. Thanks for heads up, I had a good laugh with it also!
I can't handle one, couldn't even dream of two...
U.S. Navy Veteran
Old 05-18-2014, 10:14 AM   #12
Explorer

I am watching........
I have been intrigued by the idea of a tankless. It is nice to see all the personal experience. I didn’t know it had a fan that would draw power while running. And yes the extra water that would surely be used.
I had heard that users of tankless have some kind of a learning curve, is this do to the hot water cold water mixing to get a good temp at a good pressure? Is there a difference in performance of tankless with hookups(constant water pressure and power) or without(running off water pump and battery power)?
Think I am still on the fence, I’ll keep reading
Thanks to all, good info
John
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #13

If you decide to install one, get the Girad Gen II. Lots of complaints on the Gen I, which is probably why they get a bad review. The Gen II is much better.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #14
Old Camping Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungKopernik View Post
I am watching........
I have been intrigued by the idea of a tankless. It is nice to see all the personal experience. I didn’t know it had a fan that would draw power while running. And yes the extra water that would surely be used.
I had heard that users of tankless have some kind of a learning curve, is this do to the hot water cold water mixing to get a good temp at a good pressure? Is there a difference in performance of tankless with hookups(constant water pressure and power) or without(running off water pump and battery power)?
Think I am still on the fence, I’ll keep reading
Thanks to all, good info
John
John, the fan does run the entire time you use the water and about 30 seconds after to cool down, it's not a big deal unless you are only on battery power, this is why I stated that. To me no problem at all...
The extra water to me is a blessing, I am very happy to use it getting the mud and crud off of me after a good run on the quad.
As for a learning curve... Yes it is different than the how water tanks, The tanks are the same temp no mater if you have it cracked, half way or full open, this is NOT true with tankless. The tankless uses a tubing system that gets heated at full open the water flow is fast, less time to heat up, half way closed the water is hotter because it is in the tubing longer... ( I turn the hot water on all the way, let it get hot, then I add cold water to get the temp I want, no problems. It will stay that way until I change it or shut it off. If you think of how it is made it only makes sense.
As for city hook up and tank with pump no difference at all... I have used it both ways and did not notice anything.
I agree with who ever posted earlier it is a love or hate thing no middle of the road on this one. However I can tell you of the three people I know personally that have them, we all love them.
Back to the learning curve, it really doesn't take long to figure out. My four Grand-daughters ( oldest one 12 youngest 5 ) had it figured out first week-end.
I too want to research everything to death and still want to know more... I like to see, feel and try before I buy... I am happy I took the chance on this one. I will never go back to a tank heater, not even for my house...
If you want to know more just let me know, I will be happy to help anyway I can.
Larry
U.S. Navy Veteran
Old 05-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-751 View Post
WOW... Punctuation makes a huge difference. Thanks for heads up, I had a good laugh with it also!
I can't handle one, couldn't even dream of two...
LOL. When I read if the first time I though, he must be from Utah.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #16
Old Camping Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
LOL. When I read if the first time I though, he must be from Utah.
I did type out that my Grand-parents are Mormon... But, all though it is true, I did not want to offend anyone, so I back spaced it all off...
Maybe I should have said my wife and one of my Grand-daughters take baths and don't care for the shower so much... Oh well too late now.
It's always nice to get a good laugh.
U.S. Navy Veteran
Old 05-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #17
Old Camping Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
If you decide to install one, get the Girad Gen II. Lots of complaints on the Gen I, which is probably why they get a bad review. The Gen II is much better.
I agree 100%, Gen 2 has the dial to adjust the temp. Awesome unit. I recommend it to everyone.
U.S. Navy Veteran

Tags
tank, tankless