Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2013, 06:38 AM   #1

Tankless Hot Water Heaters

Anybody had one installed yet? Is it worth the $1000. Started seeing them in a few magazines. I have one at my house and it is great!
BDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I am not sure its worth it just reading through some of the many threads regarding tankless WH. Granted, most are about one brand - Girard - but you can do the search and decide for yourself. I believe that Wildcat, Berkshire and one or two others offer them as standard now.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Always Learning

I think there are 2 main brands. Girard, I think controls it's temperature based on how high the water flow is (the higher the flow, the hotter the water) or something like that. It seems (based on reading alone), very finicky.

The other brand, and of course its name eludes me now, works more like a traditional water heater and delivers a consistent water temperature, but is significantly more expensive.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
Always Learning

The "is it worth it" question is tough to decide- what do you dislike about your current setup?

I have a 10-gallon water heater and haven't had issues with running out of hot water. I am a week/weekend camper and the cost of electricity is included in my nightly fee. Nor have I ever felt that my propane use is excessive when I opt to heat the water with LP.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #5

we have the girard tankless, worked great after I read the instruction after fiddeling with hot cold hot cold taking a shower, the directions are on the shower wall, but I cant read because I am a man and know everything hahahah...l got really pissed at this tankless... after the 3rd trip it quit working all together, took to dealer they said fuse but could not find it for me. So yesterday I hooked up to check and worked but today failed to. called the dealer and they said ??? but gave me the # to girard and the tech walked me thru trouble shooting and found the flow sensor shot, they are sending me a brand new one free of charge.. I will install myself because I no trust the dealer now...

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
we have the girard tankless, worked great after I read the instruction after fiddeling with hot cold hot cold taking a shower, the directions are on the shower wall, but I cant read because I am a man and know everything hahahah...l got really pissed at this tankless... after the 3rd trip it quit working all together, took to dealer they said fuse but could not find it for me. So yesterday I hooked up to check and worked but today failed to. called the dealer and they said ??? but gave me the # to girard and the tech walked me thru trouble shooting and found the flow sensor shot, they are sending me a brand new one free of charge.. I will install myself because I no trust the dealer now...
Directions are just another persons opinion.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #7

I'm afraid to ask.......

I am new to this forum as we just purchased a New Sterling 32QB in May (our 4th RV). We loved the layout, so were happy to pick up a deeply discounted, discontinued model.

There have been numerous things to tweak and fix (some will require taking it to the shop in the fall), but by far the most frustrating and noticeable item on the "punch list" is the Girard tankless hot water heater. Like many in these forums, I really wanted it to work, even though I was warned by the competition before I bought it that these were a big problem for Forest River. It is also my wife's only complaint about the new camper (she doesn't know about my "list").

After a couple dry-camping trips and a 2-week-long "campground hopping" trip, we were very disappointed in the system. I am patient and enjoy solving the many problems that come with a new RV, but this one has me stumped. We have experienced the scalding hot showers, cycling hot/cold, and luke-warm "low-setting" showers. I have read, called, and tried bypassing, adjusting, tweaking, and wasting tons of time on a system that proves to be troublesome.

I am still extremely pleased with this camper, but...
selkirksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #8

I will be changing mine out to a regular water heater. I don't like real hot showers and have a heck of a time getting the temp right. Even with the hot on full it is too warm. We bought the new rv because it had larger fresh water and black tank. If I have to run the shower on full and add cold water it seems like a waste of water to me.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #9

their is a mod if you run less then cold water, as in carrying it in your tank, we really like ours since I got it fixed, low for showers, high for everything else

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 08-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
their is a mod if you run less then cold water, as in carrying it in your tank, we really like ours since I got it fixed, low for showers, high for everything else

I have the hi/low switch and have never had it on high. Is there some other mod that they did to yours? We also like to boondock and the induced draft blower draws much more energy than the circuit board on a standard heater.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #11

call girard an they will send it to you

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide