Old 01-20-2018, 10:06 PM   #1

Tankless water heater waste of water

I have a new Forest River Shockwave with a tankless hot water heater. When taking a shower it takes at least a gallon of water to regulate to a comfortable temperature. This seems ridiculous to me when trying to conserve water which is always the case when camping. Anyone having this same issue would love to just have a regular old hot water heater at this point. The unit is only four months old will the dealer do anything to help under warranty?

GG

ggintruckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:11 AM   #2

I donít have a Shockwave and I have a conventional water heater, and I have a question. Is your heater not providing the ďinstant onĒ hot water as designed? One thing to remember is that regardless of the type of water heater, you still have the cold water in the pipes from the heater to the shower head. And if your shower has a wand type head, the distance (volume) from the adjustment knobs to the outlet needs to be taken into account when making changes.

What makes you think your heater isnít working properly?

TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost

marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:41 PM   #3

tankless water heater wasting water

I don't know that it is not working correctly per the design I am saying it is a poor design. I also have an RV with a water heater with a tank and it works much better than the tankless. The water on the tankless comes out super hot after one minute or so of flowing water then when you try and regulate it with cool water it gets super cold by the time you get it adjusted correctly you have wasted at least one gallon of water or more. Stick with the regular tank it is much more efficient. Wandering if I am doing something wrong when regulating it? I think Forest River tried to get to fancy with the tankless system and it just does not work well.

GG
ggintruckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:10 PM   #4

Tankless water heater waste of water

Plumbing contractor here...

Unfortunately a Tankless is a horrible set up for dry camping situations. You will waste a bit of water with these.

In a conventional water heater thereís a storage tank of hot water. When hot water is needed, cold water fills the tank pushing out hot water which is stored ready to go. In a Tankless that cold water has to go through a series of chambers to get hot then after about 45 sec or so itíll finally start to leave the water heater hot, all the while standing in the shower or running a faucet till it does so.

Tankless water heaters are not an on demand instant source of hot water. Thatís the biggest misconception of tankless water heaters.

Bad option for dry camping.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:21 PM   #5

We love our tankless. We boondock 80% of the time so know about conserving water. Our water consumption per week is exactly the same as when we had a tank heater.

We don't 'waste' anywhere near a gallon when adjusting temp. It takes us 10 seconds to get hot water and adjusted to correct temp. You'll get better at adjusting as you use your system more.

I believe some RVs have longer pipe runs between the heater and the shower, but that really isn't much water. One fellow who didn't want to waste any water would capture it in a bucket until he had the temp correct and pour it back into the fresh tank later. Sounds like way too much trouble to me

Give using your tankless some time and I bet it gets better. It took us several weeks to get used to the little differences. Also, get an Oxygenics original RV shower head to improve the water flow and general experience.

We enjoy our tankless so much we will always have one in any new unit we buy.

Good luck and enjoy.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #6

I use about 1/2 gallon of water, with a tank water heater, trying to regulate the temp.

Tags
heater, tank, tankless, water, water heater