Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #1

Tanks

Bought a 2004 Sunseeker this summer. It has 3 knobs to pull for the plumbing. Two are on the driver side and the third is behind the passenger rear tires. This is where the shower is located and I need to empty this one when the shower is full. Thing is when it feels water comes out of the sinks? How do all three work together? On the control panel it states galley, black and grey? Any help would be much appreciated!!!
MAGDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #2

Hi. I can't see how the water would come out of the sinks first. With the shower pan being lower then it would back up in the shower pan first. Is it possible your monitors are mislabeled? Wouldn't be the first time. Leave your release valves open for grey, then galley one at a time and run your faucets, shower etc to figure out what's going to what. Even if you have to disconnect the sewer hose and use a bucket to see. Hope you can figure it out.
5erDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #3

Is doesn't come out of the sinks unless the shower gets full. What I don't understand is how they are somewhat intertwined when it is full and what is the Galley and what is the Grey then?
Old 09-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #4

Thanks for your input!!!
Old 09-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #5

Galley is usually the kitchen sink, Grey is the shower & bathroom sink, black is the toilet........ This assumes the previous owner did not connect them.... (that would be rare)

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Galley is usually the kitchen sink, Grey is the shower & bathroom sink, black is the toilet........ This assumes the previous owner did not connect them.... (that would be rare)
Maybe not as rare as you think--I've often thought about running a PVC line from my galley tank pull drain back to where my gray/black drains are. I think it's just a PITA to have the two separate drains in different spots on the camper, not to mention that most campsites with sewer hookups are set up for the driver's rear of the camper, and any other drain locations will require you to connect multiple hoses together to reach the drain hole. It would be nice to connect them so they all drain in the same place.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #7

If I am understanding you right when you are parked keep the galley and gray water valves open. Black water closed. It does not sound to me that you have plumbing issues.if you do it this way it should drain without a problem.
diceman66154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #8

For me, if we are plugged in I leave all the valves closed. As the gray fills up I will dump some or all depending on our length of stay. I prefer the gray about half full by the end of stay. That way I have gray water to wash the dump hose after draining the black tank. If this is our last stop and time permits we give the black tank a good wash. Then having gray is not an issue, but I'm usually playing it safe as we rarely have extra time.

2006 T23FBL Wildwood Lite
2009 Ford E-350 Super Duty 5.4L 3.73
kevinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #9

Why are you waiting for the water to back up into the shower (or sink)? Does your level indicators work? If the indicators are working and the gally or grey tank shows high level drain it/them, you shouldn't need to let anything back up I for one am not following the logic perhaps you can elaberate for us. Let your black tank get at least 2/3 full before draining.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #10

We are not waiting every time for the tanks to fill, it just happened a couple times on our first trip in the RV this summer! Thanks for all the advise!!!
Old 10-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #11

Dice, don't leave any drains open. You are just venting the RV park sewer system thru your rig. Best not do that and wait until tanks are at least 2/3 - '3/4 full. You will get more of the soap scum, hair, etc out of the tanks and not gave any sewer bugs crawling back up into your grey ranks and beyond, such as into the sinks or shower. Wait until that happens, you will not be a "Happy Camper" when it does.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
Dice, don't leave any drains open. You are just venting the RV park sewer system thru your rig. Best not do that and wait until tanks are at least 2/3 - '3/4 full. You will get more of the soap scum, hair, etc out of the tanks and not gave any sewer bugs crawling back up into your grey ranks and beyond, such as into the sinks or shower. Wait until that happens, you will not be a "Happy Camper" when it does.
Fumes should not be able to get into the trailer thru the drains as they all have "p" traps except the stool and they also have other vents either thru the side or roof. BUT, it is best to leave all valves closed to keep water in the tanks so you can use the grey/galley water to wash the slinky out after dumping the black tank.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #13

Well I don't use the stinky slinky I use the hose from sewer solutions where I can attach the garden hose straight to my hose that's no bigger than an inch and a half around which I can backflush into my black water tank in also use the wand to rinse down the inside of the tank this works much better than the stinky slinky and cleans toilet paper and whatnot stuck to the sides of the tank
diceman66154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #14

It wasn't fumes I was referring to OC, it was the sewer bugs which seem to migrate from the sewer to your tank by leaving the drain valves open. The p-traps are an easy access point for them.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote