Old 09-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #1

Testing new unit for holding tank leak

My family recently purchased a new Sunseeker 2300 after outgrowing our 16' travel trailer. I have been operationally testing all of the systems in our unit before taking it out on our first trip.

Today, I wanted to check the black water tank for leaks before initial use. I filled the system with water all the way up to the toilet bowl. When I went outside to inspect the tank, I found some drips of water on the floor of the storage compartment just below the tank. With a mirror and flashlight, I was able to see where the drips had run from the top of the tank and down its side. I drained enough water from the toilet to get the water down to the floor level of the bathroom and found that the drip had stopped. When I raised the water level back up to the bowl, the drip began again.

Of course, I realize that in actual use the black water tank would never be so full, but shouldn't the system be watertight when tested as it was or am I expecting too much? This system is a little different from the one in our travel trailer, but I could fill the tank of my travel trailer in this way and there were no leaks. Your thoughts and comments are appreciated before I refer this to the dealer's service department for a warranty repair. Thanks!

Clint West
Sunrise, FL
2013 Sunseeker 2300

Old 09-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
H2oski

This info is from the THETFORD toilet installation manual. This info came from the troubleshooting section:

Trouble Shooting
1) Leaks:

a) Back of toilet: check water supply line connection at water valve. Resecure or retighten as necessary. If leak persists from water valve, replace.

b) Vacuum breaker leaks while flushing: replace Vacuum Breaker or water module, depending on model.

c) Between closet flange and toilet: check flange nuts for tightness. If leak continues, remove toilet and check flange height. Use Thetford spacers to adjust, if necessary, to 7/16” above floor. Replace flange seal.

So IMHO it should not leak when filled. If it leaks, it may also be leaking sewer gases. Much less it could be seaping water.

Give me a few minutes and I'll upload the manual into the files section.

Good luck

(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
H2oski

Just checked the files section and the manual is already there.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #4

Thanks for your response! It sounds as though the leaks described in the manual pertain to above-the-floor leaks, whereas this seems to be between the floor (base of the toilet) and the top of the holding tank. There was never any water on the floor of the bathroom, only in the lower compartment where the tank is located. I had wondered if it could possibly be the toilet flange seal allowing water to seep below, but I wasn't sure if there might be another seal between the floor and the tank.

Anyway, I just had another look and this is what I found:

a) Water supply line is secure, no leaks noted.
b) Not applicable; leak does not occur only when flushing.
c) Flange nuts WERE NOT snug. I was able to tighten one about 1/2 turn, but the other one took about 1-1/2 turns to snug.

It's raining now, so I won't be able to test again until tomorrow afternoon, but I'll keep my fingers crossed that the slightly loose flange nuts were the culprit. I'll re-post my findings either way. Thanks again!
Old 06-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #5

It has been 9 months since I first posted about my holding tank leak, but I wanted to report the outcome of the problem in case anyone else discovers the same trouble with their system.

Tightening the flange nuts did nothing to resolve the problem, so I removed the toilet, flange seal and flange ring, inspected for cracks or other obvious problems within the drain pipe (found nothing), cleaned the threads at the top of the drain pipe and applied pipe thread sealant, then re-installed the flange ring, flange seal and toilet. Upon flood testing the system again, I found that the problem had not been resolved.

I decided to contact my dealer's service department to see if they had any other ideas. I was told that there was nothing more that I could check without actually lowering or completely removing the holding tank, so I decided to let them take over at that point. After lowering the holding tank, the service tech found that the tank seal (which seals between the top of the holding tank and the bottom of the drain pipe below the toilet) had a split in it, thus preventing a watertight connection. They replaced the seal and repeated the flood test allowing the water to remain for 24 hours. Problem solved!

Clint West
Sunrise, FL
2013 Sunseeker 2300
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black water tank seal.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	33130  
Old 06-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Thanks for posting. We often see problems from fellow members but never find out if the problem has been solved.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote