Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #1
Love My Sunseeker

The collapsable hose

That "wonder" hose you see on TV, I agree it's a CHEAPO hose. However, it's pricey, costs about $1 a foot.

DO NOT use it for drinking water hose. I have seen people do that! SHUDDER!

On the other hand, it's a good hose to carry for rinsing the black tank. Wouldn't use it for much more than that.

Just get out of the way when you initially turn the water off, because the hose will collapse so fast that you will get squirted with water (if you have detached the hose from where ever it was attached....)

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That's all I use it for, my black tank flush. I tried to tell DW the $2.99 garden hose was all we needed, but she wanted the $29.99 x-hose. At least I get a smile out of her every time she watches it grow when I've flushing the tank.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #3

If you are talking about the Green Pocket hose read on...
If you Google it you will find out many say it leaks at the ends and is not worth $30 plus dollars for a Made In China Hose. You do know you shouldn't use it for the drinking water line. Maybe the black water flush but again very expensive.

See Consumer Reports video.
http://www.komonews.com/news/consume...211300281.html
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We've got the blue x-hose. Better quality, but I still wouldn't use it for drinking water, only the black flush.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
10x

Wondering why wouldn't you use it for drinking water?
Old 02-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
Site Team

yep, only use mine for flushing the black tank. still use the regular white hose for drinking water.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x View Post
Wondering why wouldn't you use it for drinking water?
Some hoses leach chemicals that may be damaging to your health. Hoses are specifically approved or not approved for potable water. It will state it on the label or printed on the hose. Most garden hoses are not approved, although I know plenty of people who use them as such.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #8

DW bought two of these(Green) at a 2 for one special. After 45 days both hoses went back after they blew leaks. It seems you are not to leave the water on, such as when you wash the trailer. You have to turn the water off after each rinse, and allow hose to drain completely, wash the next section, turn the water back on and rinse turn the water off and drain, wash the next section, turn the..well you get the idea. We took them both back and got full refunds. The store manager was upfront and said "I think everyone we sold is now back in the store!"

Just a couple more inches of rain and we may see the grass. But, I may have to swim to the garage!
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:01 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
yep, only use mine for flushing the black tank. still use the regular white hose for drinking water.
white drinking water hoses use FDA-approved materials. also heard them called "food-grade materials".
collapsable or garden hoses do not use FDA-approved materials.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybp57 View Post
Some hoses leach chemicals that may be damaging to your health. Hoses are specifically approved or not approved for potable water. It will state it on the label or printed on the hose. Most garden hoses are not approved, although I know plenty of people who use them as such.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Wow - I guess my brothers,father and myself are lucky to be alive after reading this. I can't remember how many times we all drank water from the black hoses we used back then to wash cars,water the lawn etc.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:15 PM   #11
NELA

I paid 19.95 for the green piece of junk. It lasted just over 3 months then a section ballooned out the size of a grapefruit when I turned it on.

I just trashed it.

There are collapsible hoses that have heavy woven nylon on the exterior and come on a reel. I've thought about getting one of those for the 5er. Easy to store and "good enough" to flush the black tank.

IIRC we saw them at Camping World. A bit pricey.

I think this is it:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...andi-hose/3072

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #12

Probably 3 years ago we bought two green - absolute junk. Lasted about two months. I do believe Bed and Bath took them off their shelves. Two years ago, we bought two blue. Just last week both blew. Sent the company an email and a box showed up yesterday with two new black. We also bought two black a year ago and they just look and feel like 100% improvement. Lets see how they last. I love piling them into a flat vase and not worry about kinks and hangers. Time will tell, but black looks like the way to go and I am proof, they do back their product. I never asked for a replacement. No more plastic fittings either.
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Wow - I guess my brothers,father and myself are lucky to be alive after reading this. I can't remember how many times we all drank water from the black hoses we used back then to wash cars,water the lawn etc.
My exact thoughts. I drank out of water hose when I was a kid all the time. Boy, how times have changed.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm in Guatemala right now, and saw a tv advertisement for them in Spanish. Was a bit comical. My wife bought one over the summer and it lasted about an hour. She wants to try the new "heavy duty" one, but won't take the chance after the ribbing I gave her on the first one.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x View Post
My exact thoughts. I drank out of water hose when I was a kid all the time. Boy, how times have changed.
Same here, we did the same and used them for camping before the "Big Brother" white hoses were on the market. I use the BB white hoses now, but honestly believe it is a bunch of malarkey. Look how many years they used galvanized pipe, lead paint, etc. Just wonder how much lead based paint you would have to chew off a pc of woodwork to do yourself harm?
Old 02-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Your dad probably let you eat a little dirt and a bug or two growing up....

and no flu shots.......

life was sooo bad drinking out of dirty hoses back then (and now).

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #17
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Your dad probably let you eat a little dirt and a bug or two growing up....

and no flu shots.......

life was sooo bad drinking out of dirty hoses back then (and now).
Old 02-20-2014, 09:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Toxic Garden Hose Water: Drinking From Common Water Hoses Potentially Dangerous, Study Finds

When it's scorching hot out this summer, you may want to think twice before drinking from the garden hose.
A new study released by the Ecology Center in Ann Arbor, M.I., on HealthyStuff.org found that the water from common garden hoses is chock full of toxic materials that could harm the human body.
Lead is found in the brass fixtures at the mouth of gardening hoses and, out of the of 90 garden hoses screened, 33 percent of products contained levels of lead that exceeded those considered safe for children.

Garden hoses are not regulated by the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA), which monitors the nation's public drinking supply. The study's findings showed that levels of lead in water coming from garden hoses they tested exceeded legal safe levels 100 percent of the time.
But lead wasn't the only dangerous material found in the water. According to the study, the water also contained plastic additives including phthalates —or plasticizers — and bisphenol A (BPA) that were "found to migrate out of the hose material into water contained in the hose."
The Food and Drug Administration defines BPA as an industrial chemical used to make hard, clear plastic. According to the FDA website, the National Institutes of Health is concerned with the potential effects of BPA on the brain, behavior, and prostate gland in fetuses, infants, and young children.
The study found levels of BPA at 20 times higher than those of safe drinking water levels.

The study reported that 100 percent of the garden hoses sampled contained several plasticizers currently banned in children's products. According to Health Stuff, consumption of these hazardous plasticizers can disturb normal hormonal processes and are linked to birth defects, altered levels of reproductive hormones, increased breast cancer risk, and asthma.
Though you'd likely have to drink a fair amount of affected garden hose water to see health consequences, the Ecology Center warns that even low levels of lead may create health problems.

Garden hoses containing lead typically will have warnings on their packaging and others will indicate if they are lead-free.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #19
B47

Iggy - I'm not disputing the report. My point was that the
"Back then" I was referring to was the time I spend as a kid growing up which in this case was the late forties to the 1960's when I left home.

I guess back then things that could hurt you either weren't made or people didn't know that they were harmful.

Think about it - did products and food back then have all the warning labels and fine print on them that they do now? I had a BB rifle as well as a Crossman air powered rifle and I'll venture to say about the only warning they carried was not to aim them at anyone and of course my Mother issued more warnings to me than any amount of labels could carry.

I don't know if the water hoses we drank from back then were harmful to us,but we did survive.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Iggy - I'm not disputing the report. My point was that the
"Back then" I was referring to was the time I spend as a kid growing up which in this case was the late forties to the 1960's when I left home.

I guess back then things that could hurt you either weren't made or people didn't know that they were harmful.

Think about it - did products and food back then have all the warning labels and fine print on them that they do now? I had a BB rifle as well as a Crossman air powered rifle and I'll venture to say about the only warning they carried was not to aim them at anyone and of course my Mother issued more warnings to me than any amount of labels could carry.

I don't know if the water hoses we drank from back then were harmful to us,but we did survive.

I bet you are bald, no teeth and get irritable easily.
See what that old garden hose did to you.
Actually back then the hoses were made in the good ole USA.
Now they are made in China with all kinds of garbage in them and don't last long.