Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #1

The Dreaded black Tank valve cable replacement

I have a 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. After our last trip the black tank cable handle will not move. I checked underneath and the the valve works its the cbale that is the problem. I heard that Valterra has a solid cable which is better than the Bristol wound cable. My question is will the Valterra cable work on a Bristol valve and has anyone done this, or should I stick with a Bristol Cable.

Thanks in Advance
Old 12-11-2018, 12:35 PM   #2
Site Team

I looked on the Valterra site and they don't really say what they're compatible with. I suggest giving them a call and see if they are.

If you find out, please come back and let us know. I'm sure a lot of people would like to know that (including myself).
Old 12-11-2018, 09:37 PM   #3

Lord I went for almost three years with the black tank valve not working, Orvan fixed it this year.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Lord I went for almost three years with the black tank valve not working, Orvan fixed it this year.
You must have been lucky and had it stuck open. Mine is stuck closed. I think I might have it filled before 3 years
Old 12-13-2018, 06:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaNTom View Post
I have a 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. After our last trip the black tank cable handle will not move. I checked underneath and the the valve works its the cbale that is the problem. I heard that Valterra has a solid cable which is better than the Bristol wound cable. My question is will the Valterra cable work on a Bristol valve and has anyone done this, or should I stick with a Bristol Cable.

Thanks in Advance
It's not a problem, you can order the Valterra cable from places like amazon and the cut it to fit. You'll need to take the belly apart and try not to take the valve off.

It's a pretty good amount of work but I love the new setup.

You might as well fix all of them while you're there.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:13 PM   #6

A Valterra solid cable will work, I used a Valterra on our black tank valve. There are two diameters for Valterra cables. I'm sorry I do not not know the sizes, but ours required the smaller size. The valve was also a Bristol.

It is not a hard repair just time consuming getting to the valve. Hopefully your valve will be positioned so it is easy to get to the Allen screws that holds the cable to the valve.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, cable, replacement, tank, valve