Old 10-28-2018, 12:23 PM   #1

Thermocouple in Suburban water heater?

Good day, I have a 2004 Wildcat 5th wheel and the water heater is not working. I can reset the switch at the heater panel and the gas will ignite, but not reignite after it shuts off. I suspect a thermocouple problem but cannot seem to find it when I inspect my heater. Also, I cannot de it addressed in any manual. Who can tell me where to find it?

Chardagha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:38 PM   #2

Well, apparently it is I who shall educate this forum. After receiving no responses, I went to an RV repair facility and had an eye opening conversation with a knowledgeable tech.
The Suburban SW- series is a direct ignition water heater and does not use a thermocouple; instead, it uses resettable high- and low- limiter switches.
Now I will test and probably replace said switches.

Chardagha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
Head Rambler

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but glad you got good advice.

There is also a control board on the 12 volt side, and that could be your problem. Testing the Hi-Limit & T-Stat switches is the easiest thing to do, and I recommend that to begin with.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardagha View Post
Good day, I have a 2004 Wildcat 5th wheel and the water heater is not working. I can reset the switch at the heater panel and the gas will ignite, but not reignite after it shuts off. I suspect a thermocouple problem but cannot seem to find it when I inspect my heater. Also, I cannot de it addressed in any manual. Who can tell me where to find it?
Suburbans have a hi-limit/ECO (Emergency Cut Off) thermostat and an operating thermostat...that come together as an assembly, and are mounted up against the tank wall.

If your heater also has an electric heating element, it has a separate thermostat assembly for that to.

Suburbans also have a flame sensor, that detects the flame or if will shut off the heating source via the control module board.

We keep a troubleshooting/service file for these in our library here on FRF.

Forest River Forums - Downloads - Plumbing, Propane and Water Systems

Did you know, according to Google: Pepsi was once the 6th largest military in the world?
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:57 AM   #5
Site Team

This recent thread may help also, as I went into some detail on troubleshooting it.

Gas/Electric water heater issues.

Did you know, according to Google: Pepsi was once the 6th largest military in the world?
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, suburban, water, water heater