Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2016, 04:45 PM   #1

Thetford toilet leak - Georgetown 327DS

A couple of years ago, I started noticing water appearing in the basement storage compartment just forward of the rear wheels, on the driver's side. This compartment has a wood box attached to its rear wall which is the receiving box for the AC/DC power lines to the slide when the slide is extended. The water appeared to be dripping from inside this box.

On our current trip, I apparently levelled the coach one time with the passenger side a trace lower than the driver side. The DW announced to me that there was water on the bathroom floor, around the toilet. After some investigation, I discovered that water was running down the fresh water supply line to the toilet.

I assumed that the problem was the fitting where it connects to the toilet and tried tightening the nut, recrimping the pex tube clamp, and replacing the cone washer in the fitting. I dried the connection area and wrapped it with toilet paper in different places to see if I could determine where it was leaking from by which pieces of toilet paper were getting wet. Nothing worked. In desperation, I finally called my dealer and spoke to their senior service technician. He told me to get into the area with an inspection mirror and watch for something leaking above the hose connection. Fortunately, if we shut off the water pump, it didn't leak so we were turning on the pump only when needed.

When I checked for the leak, I was surprised to discover that water was slowly dripping from the valve stem. The valve housing is translucent and it appeared that the stem was sealed by an O ring. I found a replacement valve assembly on Amazon, and with a prime membership, would have the replacement part by Friday, two days away. I then called Thetford to see if the O ring could be replaced using one from a local hardware store. Their answer was "not a replaceable part, we can sell you a new valve."

Friday afternoon, the UPS delivery status was changed from "out for delivery" to "delivery delayed". I called UPS and they stated that the address portion of the mailing label was destroyed and it was returned to the distribution center, almost two hours away from me. UPS used the tracking number to generate a new label and delivered it Monday. When the package wasn't delivered Friday, I contacted Amazon to complain. Amazon gave me a $10 credit on the order and shipped a replacement overnight, with delivery Monday. Monday afternoon, I had two new valves for the toilet.

Thetfords's instructions state that you need to remove the toilet to replace the valve. The bathroom in my unit has enough space behind the toilet that I was able to replace the valve without removing the toilet. No more leaking and I have a spare valve.

Once fixed, I discovered that the valve can be easily disassembled to get to the O ring. I'll be replacing it at home, after this trip, where I can hook it up to my house's water supply to check if the O ring replacement fixes the problem. If it does, I'll have two spares!

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:03 PM   #2

you say you have a dometic....which one, 300 or 310?...thetford giving you advise on a dometic?.....you need to buy the new designed water valve....$27 on ebay. i had a leak in the same place...just 2 weeks ago.
it looks like just the clamp leaking, but actually water is running down from the valve.
[on mine anyway]after the changeout the flush was 100% improved...real heavy swirl..before just a trickle...this unit was brand new 1 yr ago...and i assumed that was the normal flush.
2016 miles and nights
feb. 380/7......march 540/3
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebarjay View Post
you say you have a dometic....which one, 300 or 310?...thetford giving you advise on a dometic?.....you need to buy the new designed water valve....$27 on ebay. i had a leak in the same place...just 2 weeks ago.
it looks like just the clamp leaking, but actually water is running down from the valve.
[on mine anyway]after the changeout the flush was 100% improved...real heavy swirl..before just a trickle...this unit was brand new 1 yr ago...and i assumed that was the normal flush.
I was thinking about the fridge when writing the title and forgot to change it to Thetford to match the text of the post.

I can't wait to get home so I can try replacing the O ring that caused the leak. I'll make up a connecting pipe I can attach to the house's city water supply to the valve. If my 95+psi house pressure doesn't make it leak, it'll be another spare part to keep in the rv.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, georgetown, leak