Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #1

Tire Damage and Disconnected Black Tank Vent Pipe

We were camping at Silent Lake and on our way out to the dump station we hit a large dip in the road - and I was probably going a bit fast. Anyway I guess the weight of the gray and black tanks caused the suspension to go up higher than normal.

This caused the tire to hit an outrigger (I think that's what its called) taking a large piece of the tire off. We actually didn't notice anything wrong till we got home.

At the same time it seems the vent pipe on the black tank also came out as there was quite a smell in the trailer - actually a bit embarrassing as we were showing our new shiny trailer to our family.

In the end, our dealer replaced the tire (still in 1st year warranty) and "repaired" the black tank vent pipe in a couple days. They never really told us or showed us how they fixed it but that's ok.

Since then we upgraded our tires and will be modifying the outrigger with a slight bend away from the tire to stop the tire from being damaged again.

I am assuming that perhaps the weight of full black and gray and tanks hitting a bump when they're at the very rear of the trailer may have caused that pipe to pop out somehow. Kind of like sitting at the back of a school bus when it hits a bump.

My question would be: How is the black tank vent pipe attached to the black tank? Is it pvc glued like a normal plumbing system and why would it come out? Also do we have to worry about the same thing happening to the gray tank vent pipe. I believe they are separate.

I searched everywhere for pics of black tank vent pipe but really finding nothing out there. As well, how would the dealer fix that: would they have to remove the tank or just glue the pipe back in.

I will be looking closer at the how the pipe attaches but it is pretty much completely hidden behind panels in a very tight area.

My objective is to no have that happen ever again so drive very slow with full tanks when going to the dump station.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180904_171812.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	200987   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180820_194849.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	200988  
eggman2112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags