Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #1
Global Nomad

To buy a new pump, or not to buy, that is the Question

I have a Surflo H20 pump that is acting strangely. Following the posts in this section I believe it is the check valve. I did the suggested simple fix, run campground water, then turn off and run pump, each for 15 seconds, repeat. Did not help. Symptoms: pump does not shut off crisply, but has a short whine down. Comes on briefly when not in use.

The question is if I do nothing, since the pump pumps fine, how long can I expect to go before pump failure?

Should I replace the pump now, or when it dies?

What would be the next phase toward failure? Is there another symptom or does it just die?

Thanks in Advance.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #2

If you get a spare and hold off installing it, the existing pump will probably work fine forever. If you wait till it fails, you'll be in the middle of no where and can't find one! I have a spare just in case!
Old 12-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #3
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
If you get a spare and hold off installing it, the existing pump will probably work fine forever. If you wait till it fails, you'll be in the middle of no where and can't find one! I have a spare just in case!
Thank you, A32Deuce, very funny, but probably true. I will look for a new pump.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
I have a Surflo H20 pump that is acting strangely. Following the posts in this section I believe it is the check valve. I did the suggested simple fix, run campground water, then turn off and run pump, each for 15 seconds, repeat. Did not help. Symptoms: pump does not shut off crisply, but has a short whine down. Comes on briefly when not in use.

The question is if I do nothing, since the pump pumps fine, how long can I expect to go before pump failure?

What would be the next phase toward failure? Is there another symptom or does it just die?

Thanks in Advance.
search Amazon and buy a rebuild kit.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #5
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
search Amazon and buy a rebuild kit.
Thank you. That was suggested on previous threads. However, I have 2 left thumps, am 73 years old, and can afford a new pump. My question was to buy or not to buy?

Old 12-06-2019, 06:13 PM   #6

I bought a spare on amazon a while back. Never did swap it out but found numerous other uses for it. I keep a 30 gal plastic barrel in back of tv and when boondocking use it and pump to refil water tanks for me and other campers. Also use them to water plants way out in yard where hose will not reach in summer.
Minthillbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:23 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:

Thanks in Advance.
Are you sure about this? [run campground water, then turn off and run pump, each for 15 seconds, repeat.] I don't remember seeing alternate between campground water and fresh tank.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:39 PM   #8
Site Team

Try this.
Shut off camp ground water.
Shut off pump ( if on)

Open faucet until water stops.
close faucet.
turn on water pump
Once pump stops open faucet and run for 30 sec
turn of water.
Once pump stops turn off water pump.
turn on campground water or if using FW tank leave pump on.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #9

My pump was acting up too..it liked to surge while operating. (I bought my first 5th wheel used and am new to this). I bought a new pump... Installed it and kept my old pump ..just in case. New pump perfect, less noisy too.
Oldboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:04 PM   #10

I find excuses to replace the OEM water pumps. Then I can buy one that has more gpm, less noise, less surging. Woohoo!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:14 PM   #11
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I find excuses to replace the OEM water pumps. Then I can buy one that has more gpm, less noise, less surging. Woohoo!
So, what pump did you buy?

Old 12-06-2019, 11:28 PM   #12

Ah, you would ask me that. I honestly don't remember, as it was eight years ago. I asked my favorite independent RV service tech and just bought the one he mentioned. I'm pretty sure it was Shurflo and cost around $80 at the time, just don't remember which model and am too lazy to remove all the access panels to look at it.
Here's a pretty good comparison of current models: https://www.usautoauthority.com/best-rv-water-pump/
Quote:
So, what pump did you buy?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:32 PM   #13

I was loosing preasure and the pump was making noise. I was considering buying a new pump but did a little reading and ordered a new pump filter on amazon for about $10.00. I changed out the filter and the old one was black. I stopped using an outside waer filter because I only use bottled water for coffee and such. I will now always use an external filter. The pump is running like new again and it was a cheap and easy fix.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
I was loosing preasure and the pump was making noise. I was considering buying a new pump but did a little reading and ordered a new pump filter on amazon for about $10.00. I changed out the filter and the old one was black. I stopped using an outside waer filter because I only use bottled water for coffee and such. I will now always use an external filter. The pump is running like new again and it was a cheap and easy fix.
I wasn't aware there was a pump filter. Where is it located? I use a disposable water filter for the local water, but other than a wire filter on the inlets, I was unaware of a water pump filter. I have some of the same symptoms lister above and want to check it out. Thanks
kermitvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:52 PM   #15

My first fifth wheel I owned for over 35 years never once did I have problems with the pump and we mostly boondocked or never had any hookups. My present fifth wheel I bought in 2010 and the only problem with the pump is noise. That being said I think it is the way they put the pump. Old fiver the pump was under the dinette seat with water tank hooked directly to it on my present fiver it is mounted to the ceiling of the pass thru and almost twenty feet and three feet higher than the tank. This I know puts extra strain on the pump as it is harder to suck than push water. I know sometime in the future it will cause problems. I do have a extra pump salvaged from a old trailer and it is my backup. Mostly now however we use full hookup sites so we don't use the pump much.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #16

water pump

The fiter is right on the water line right by the pump. The new filter comes complete. All you have to do is unscrew the old bowl and screw the new one on,
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:45 PM   #17

Sounds like there's nothing wrong with your pump now. Suggest that you get a simple Camco back flow preventer so that the preventer inside the pump will no longer be a source of worry or future failure.

Less than $5 and 5 minutes to screw on to your pump. Part #23303 on Amazon.
Also if you don't have a screen filter on your line already...you can add that too in the same manner.

Thats Shurflo part #255-313 and under 10 bucks on Amazon.
Note that the clear plastic part unscrews so you can clean the filter if needed AND you need to drain it in the same manner when you winterize.
Nothing wrong with buying a new part for backup use but pumps usually have a good long service life unless abused and having the check valve and filter in place will be a good decision in any event. Good luck!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Sounds like there's nothing wrong with your pump now. Suggest that you get a simple Camco back flow preventer so that the preventer inside the pump will no longer be a source of worry or future failure.

Less than $5 and 5 minutes to screw on to your pump. Part #23303 on Amazon.
Also if you don't have a screen filter on your line already...you can add that too in the same manner.

Thats Shurflo part #255-313 and under 10 bucks on Amazon.
Note that the clear plastic part unscrews so you can clean the filter if needed AND you need to drain it in the same manner when you winterize.
Nothing wrong with buying a new part for backup use but pumps usually have a good long service life unless abused and having the check valve and filter in place will be a good decision in any event. Good luck!
Got it. I never thought of it as a filter, but it's there. Thanks for pointing it out. I like the back flow preventer idea as well.

Learned two things today. Wow!
kermitvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Ditto. But I add, check every outlet, outside shower, low point drains etc. I dripping faucet will have the affect discribed
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:21 AM   #20

This is a great pump, a little pricey, but a really great pump and real quite also

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GWV5JXJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
azwiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump