Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #1

toilet burps back when black tank shows 1/3 full

When my black tank gets around 1/3 full my toliet starts to burp (bubble) back. I can back flush the tank and it will work OK until the next time the tank gets 1/3 full. I believe the vent is getting plugged but can not understand how unless the vent pipe goes to far in the black tank. Has anyone else had any issues like this? I'm not for sure how had it will be to fix the vent pipe it that's the issues.
My trailer is a Sandpiper 32QBBS 2012 .

Help me if you can!!
jamsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:15 PM   #2

Your vent is pushed too far down into the tank. I would have a dealer take care of it.

Bruce
Old 08-01-2015, 01:55 PM   #3

My trailer is out of warranty and I'm to cheap to pay someone to do it for me. Has anyone every tried to fix this type issue themselves? If so please any advice will be appreciated.
jamsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:29 PM   #4

The vent pipe has to be sealed to the tank otherwise it will leak sewer gasses under your rig. If you trail the rig with other then an empty tank, it could leak everything you flushed. It either has a rubber seal at the penetration or is glued with abs plastic cement. I have seen both ways. Find out which wall the vent stack is in and open it up to expose the stack. Check how the vent is attached to the roof. You will have to carefully remove any caulking and hardware. If it goes straight up to the roof and uses the rubber seal, you may be able to pull it upwards and disengage it. Check how much is in the tank, it only needs to be an inch or two. Cut off any excess. Lubricate the end with Dawn dishwashing soap, then carefully reinsert it into the seal. Eventually, the soap will dry and give a good seal. Reattach any roof hardware and recaulk with self leveling lap sealent caulk! It is available at your local RV store. DO NOT use silicon caulking.

If it is glued to the tank, you will have to cut out and figure out how to glue the pipe to the tank.

If the vent stack is not a straight shot from the tank to the roof, you will have to cut it between the tank and first elbow, shorten the inserted end, then reattach it to the tank and, using an abs coupling, to the other end of the stack. Big box home improvement stores carry abs fittings and glue. Be sure you get ABS cement and fittings. PVC cement and fittings will not work.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #5

Thought I had same problem - not so - dealer confirmed. These shallow long holding tanks need special care - lots of water. 5 full toilet bowls to start new tank - capful of water softener - capful of liquid detergent - chemicals. Dump when full (visually - not light indicators). Haven't had a problem since using this regime.

Seems waste likes to pile up at the entrance point from toilet - water keeps it moving. Water softener makes walls of tank slippery. Detergent helps keep the crud out.

Good Luck. Ken
Ken Halloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:50 PM   #6

I had this same problem. Ken is doing the same thing that I have been doing. This will prevent the solids from building up and clogging the toilet drain pipe. My pipe makes 2 turns to get to the black tank. This will compound the problem as the solids will slow down on the way to the tank and not dissipate when they hit the tank.
Hope this will help. Steve
Profisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:44 PM   #7

I had problems with my toilet burping so I took the cap off the vent and poured in a gallon of water to clear the vent. No problems since.
donbledsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:06 PM   #8

At the risk of being over simple, you do keep the BLACK TANK VALVE CLOSED for use RIGHT? Otherwise any trailer will just let solids pile up until the toilet flow is blocked, If it is open close it and put water in. lots of water. IF it is closed, start with more water and solvents, soaps. lubes etc. The last thing to suspect is anything that has you tearing walls open. Good Luck
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #9

When we first started camping, we were too conservative with flushing water, and the poo and paper built up a pyramid of stuff under the toilet. This caused the black water burp. To jar the pyramid loose, I used a 5 gallon pail almost full with water, and dumped it quickly down the toilet. That fixed our problem. And subsequently we used more water with each flush with no more problems.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:00 PM   #10
FF,Retired.

water softener

What do you mean by water softener?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Halloran View Post
Thought I had same problem - not so - dealer confirmed. These shallow long holding tanks need special care - lots of water. 5 full toilet bowls to start new tank - capful of water softener - capful of liquid detergent - chemicals. Dump when full (visually - not light indicators). Haven't had a problem since using this regime.

Seems waste likes to pile up at the entrance point from toilet - water keeps it moving. Water softener makes walls of tank slippery. Detergent helps keep the crud out.

Good Luck. Ken
Love13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:37 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Water, water and more water!
Black tank valve closed untill full!
Dump black first then grey behind it.
If we have full hookups we fill the bowl almost full when flushing.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:37 PM   #12

Calgon I believe is one brand of water softener. I use some fabric softener and a bunch of cheap anti bacterial liguid dish soap with 2 or 3 gallons of water, before we hit the road. Then add normal tank chemicals at camp. Never have a problem
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Halloran View Post

Good Luck. Ken

Thanks Ken

I am out with no sewer hookup and thought we were full however gauges showed 2/3. Looked down in there and with a stick and flashlight found how shallow that tank is. I will try the soap etc. makes sense to me

Rockwood 8311ss
Pro Pride 3P hitch
Alberta8311ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #14

Anyone know how much the tanks hold? My model is a rock wood 8311ss. 2014 year.
And how many flushes is that good for. Just about need a flush counter!

Rockwood 8311ss
Pro Pride 3P hitch
Alberta8311ss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, show, tank