Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #1

Toilet Doesn't Hold Water

For the second time in three years our toilet won't hold water. The first time the dealer said he would put a new toilet in under warranty even though it was expired. I often wonder did he as there was no way for me to tell the difference. Is there a simple way to get the seal to reseal? I don't really want to take the darn thing off, I'll live with it not holding water, but thought I would post to see if others have the same problem and any simple solutions. Thanks!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
For the second time in three years our toilet won't hold water. The first time the dealer said he would put a new toilet in under warranty even though it was expired. I often wonder did he as there was no way for me to tell the difference. Is there a simple way to get the seal to reseal? I don't really want to take the darn thing off, I'll live with it not holding water, but thought I would post to see if others have the same problem and any simple solutions. Thanks!
Some times the seal just gets a little dirt on it. I had a similar problem and while wearing a rubber glove I wiped the seal clean and then coated it with plumbers grease. Plumbers grease is just a silicone grease and it can be bought at places like Lowes. Most of the seals are not actually rubber so Vaseline can be used (don't use vaseline on real rubber). I would try Vaseline first to see if the leak stopped and then replace with the more expensive plumbers grease.

BTW, on some toilets the seal can be replaced without disassembling the toilet. Look for youtube video for your brand of toilet.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:04 PM   #3

Our unit came with a cleaning kit, a brush and some cleaner as I recall. I found it still wrapped around the toilet fill pipe with the instructions when our MH was 10 years old. Have not used it but I think they are commercially available.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #4

It's possible the seal is dry and has failed. Before you try to replace it, you can try to treat the seal with silicone spay. I've used the foam silicone spray that is made to treat and condition slide out sweep seals. I've found it works great if the seal isn't damage to the point of having spits or cracks. Just spay the seal and wipe it into the seal on the top and bottom (while using rubber gloves). Sometimes I let it soak on the seal for a while. This has worked many times and plus it's a good maintenance for keeping the seal from drying out even if it's working properly. This also works great for a sticky seal too. That's when the flap valve sticks to the seal causing it to not close all the way. I've also heard of people wiping Vasoline on the seal to bring it back to life. I've never tried that but still thought I'd mention it.
OneRoomShed Trailer Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #5

I have a round brush on a handle. I hold the valve open and spin the brush around the seal. Also, when you flush, let the valve go when you're done. Don't keep your foot on the pedal if that's the type of toilet you have. It seems to work for me when it doesn't hold water. Just have to train the better half, better........ouch, sorry dear.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:22 PM   #6

try this, flush the toilet to drain any water sitting in the bowl, don't put any water in the bowl.

Pour a small amount of vegetable cooking oil (three or four tea spoons) into the bowl so its about 1/8 inch deep. Leave it sit a day or two (or longer).

This will lubricate the seal.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #7

This happened to mine at less than a year old. I took an old wash cloth and a little dish detergent and thoroughly cleaned the seal on both sides. So far, no further issues. Good luck.
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
try this, flush the toilet to drain any water sitting in the bowl, don't put any water in the bowl.

Pour a small amount of vegetable cooking oil (three or four tea spoons) into the bowl so its about 1/8 inch deep. Leave it sit a day or two (or longer).

This will lubricate the seal.
X2
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:04 PM   #9

Leaking toilet seal

First open the ball valve all the way by holding down the flush lever. Then take your fingers and apply downward pressure to the seal. Take about 2 cups of hot water and pour into the bowl as soon as you have released the flush lever. Let water set until cooled. This should recondition the ball valve and stop the seal from leaking.
satkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:34 PM   #10

Depending on the toilet it is pretty easy I just replaced my seal and ball. It took all of 45minutes.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:16 PM   #11

I've found that if you keep the seal clean and let the valve "snap shut" rather than gently allowing the valve to close, the toilet seals more effectively (assuming the seal is not damaged.
DRiveWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:28 PM   #12

Carefully clean the seal area and apply a little silicone grease. If seal is torn it needs to be replaced. You can turn water supply off while working on it.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #13
Site Team

I just discovered this weekend that the ball valve wasn't set properly in my toilet.

The seal was good but the valve wasn't coming up high enough to meet the seal. So after fiddling around with it for a bit I discovered that the valve was held on with two small tabs but only one of the tabs was actually in the hole it was supposed to be in.

I simply had to hold the foot pedal down and snap the tab back into the hole. Works perfect now!
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:35 AM   #14

Thanks for all of the reply's!. I have tried rubbing olive oil on the seal as suggested one time before but to no avail. I will try a couple of other suggestions on this thread though!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water