Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2019, 05:21 PM   #1

Toilet Odor

We have always tent camped but we just got our first camper so we are really new to all this. We bought the little Aqua-Kem Toss-Ins RV Holding Tank Treatment - Deodorant / Waste Digester / Detergent pods to put in the toilet whenever we flush it out. All of a sudden we are getting an awful odor despite using the Aqua-Kem. Can anyone tell us what is the best thing to use that will take care of the odor or what you all have had the best success with? Thanks!
savedand4gvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedand4gvn View Post
We have always tent camped but we just got our first camper so we are really new to all this. We bought the little Aqua-Kem Toss-Ins RV Holding Tank Treatment - Deodorant / Waste Digester / Detergent pods to put in the toilet whenever we flush it out. All of a sudden we are getting an awful odor despite using the Aqua-Kem. Can anyone tell us what is the best thing to use that will take care of the odor or what you all have had the best success with? Thanks!

Do not keep your black water dump valve open. Only dump a full tank and rinse out. Then fill a couple of gallons with the chemicals.
MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:17 PM   #3
Brake is on left

If you are hooked up to sewer, then as said, leave the valve closed until you have some tank volume.
If you have the dump valve closed, then it could be that the vent on the roof is blocked. Also, if you have the ceiling exhaust fan on high it could pull stink into the RV when you flush.
I'm not familiar with the product you are using but you are putting it in the empty tank before using the waste tank rinse system? The only tank treatment I have used is put in an empty tank before each trip or after dumping the tank. So the product works as you fill the tank.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:47 PM   #4

Thank you both for your advice! I really appreciate it!

Yes, we have been putting it in the empty tank after dumping the tank. I know we accidentally left the black water dump valve open so maybe that's the problem. Thank you both again!
Old 10-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #5
Site Team

If you have a black tank flush built into your trailer, use that. If not, you can buy a wand (or make your own) and stick it down through your toilet into your tank.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Flexibl.../dp/B0006IX7YC

Also get a clear sewer adapter so you can see what's coming out of your tank when you empty it. You'll be amazed at how much "stuff" comes out of your tank after you've emptied it and then run the flusher.

We had the same problem where we couldn't figure out why our toilet stunk so bad. Then I ran the black tank flush and the odors went away.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
If you have a black tank flush built into your trailer, use that. If not, you can buy a wand (or make your own) and stick it down through your toilet into your tank.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Flexibl.../dp/B0006IX7YC

Also get a clear sewer adapter so you can see what's coming out of your tank when you empty it. You'll be amazed at how much "stuff" comes out of your tank after you've emptied it and then run the flusher.

We had the same problem where we couldn't figure out why our toilet stunk so bad. Then I ran the black tank flush and the odors went away.

Thank you so much! We will definitely be trying that!
Old 10-26-2019, 06:58 PM   #7

Hi - couple of thoughts. We had an odour and leak into the floor that I tracked down to an improperly set rubber seal at the junction of the toilet and tank. Replaced the seal with an application of silicone grease - seems to have fixed that. Also - at end of season I use the tank wand to put hot water and toilet bowl cleaner down the toilet, several times. Takes a few washes, but eventually the effluent comes clean. Nasty business, but I would empty each flush with a bucket then take that to the house for disposal. that way I have some confidence that the black tank is clean for the off season.
tcoape-arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #8
Canoeing and camping fun

Smell

One other trick is you might have a faulty air admittance valve (aav) (that was our problem). Our aav is located under the bathroom sink got a replacement at Lowe's just hand tightens in place.
Jean D is offline   Reply With Quote