Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #1

toilet problem and how to access holding tank

i have a 2014 vlite 30wrltsa, i have noticed after flushing the black tank, it does read empty, but when i open the valve on toilet there is still waste at bottom about foot down, does the pipe go straight down to black tank or is there a elbow, how do i get it flushed out, i tried just spraying water down but did nothing. also anyone know how i can access the tanks from underneath the trailer? thanks
Jon
jkr1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #2

Get a wand like this http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40074-Fl...rv+toilet+wand
Old 05-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #3

Most tank indicators are not accurate ,I do not use them ,mine have never worked properly ......Geaux camping!
Geaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Do you use the geo method? I double the liquid softener. But ensure you add/mix with at least 1 gallon of water. You will still need to add the deodorizer/dissolver. Additionally, have you considered installing the flushing hand wand at the bowl?
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #5

The sensors are located on the side of the tank, and as noted not that accurate. As suggested a wand could be used to break up any solids that may remain on the bottom of the tank. Another method is to add some water and ice cubes and take the trailer for a 'short' trip. The ice cubes will break up any solids remaining in the tank. The key when empting the tank is to ensure plenty of water is in the tank to move the solids out. Similar to your home plumbing using water to move waste out of the toilet bowl.

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #6

One of your sensors has paper stuck to it
I made a water wand that I use
take 1/2 inch pvc pipe glue and install cap on one end and shut off valve on other end has to get a hose adapter to fit garden hose, now drill 2 or 3 three small holes on caped end of wand
What I do is open toilet flush valve on toilet stick wand down in tank and turn on water, once flowing I turn wand left and right slightly up and down to wash sidewalls of tank and sensors, just dont pull want out to far you may get a face full (not good)
Timerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #7
Explorer

a post i did on my potty issues

Are you sure your seeing the bottom of the tank. I don’t know what model toilet you have but the one that came with my camper had an open chamber under the flush valve. I posted on this model(copied below)
I couldn’t understand how I would ever be able to fully clean this so I got a potty with straight shoot after the valve.
Maybe this will help
John
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing is simple or I can’t let it be.
So I have attached some pic of what I found:
It started off as a valve assembly replacement because the leaking vacuum breaker is not replaceable by its self. You must take out the potty and to do this is surprisingly easy and not as smelly as had been suggested(I guess I do a good clean out job). But on inspection and thorough cleaning of the potty I find how it is designed.
There is no chute from flush valve to floor flange just a large open body, maybe 3+ cubic feet. What a mess, there is no way to clean this area accept for taking the potty out and cleaning from the bottom. What would happen if you ever backed up the black tank, it would fill this large cavity before seeing it at the flush valve. This is just a cheap design and will always be smelly when you open the flush valve. They should have made a chute to go down to the floor-flange and an access panel to get to the mechanics of the valve and such.
So I replaced it with another Thetford with a ball-valve flush and a chute. My $30 job became a $300 job.
I will keep the old potty for a couple months, to make sure the new one is right.
All is well that ends well
John
Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank