Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2017, 02:53 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvdixie View Post
For the last two years I have used a capful of laundry detergent, a capful of Calgon water softener and about 1/4 cup of bleach every time I dump. Supposedly the Calgon makes the sides of the tank slippery so that paper doesn't stick to it so easily. I'm not going to attempt to explain the chemical reactions etc. but I can tell you it works and we full time for at least 5 months of the year. Occasionally I will get a bad reading from the sensors in the tank in which case I drive from one location to another with a half tank or more and let it slosh around. Does the trick every time. We also have a tank rinse built in which I use every time we dump. I also have a Valterra reverse flush unit which I used every couple of months, which goes on where the sewer hose would normally be hooked up and reverse flush all my tanks. I have had virtually no problem with any of my tanks using this system.
I have used the Geo Method in both of the Motorhomes I have owned over the last 10 years. I never have odor problems. I use liquid laundry detergent, liquid Calgon, bleach and about 5 gallons of water in both the grey and black holding tanks. I also flush my black tank after every trip. This has worked like a charm.

hatchet
HATCHET19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:02 PM   #22

Make sure there is some water on top of the seal inside the bowl. It will keep you from getting any smells up from the tank below. If it is going to be stored for an extended period of time the water may evaporate so put a tablespoon full of cooking oil on top to keep the water from evaporating.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Make sure there is some water on top of the seal inside the bowl. It will keep you from getting any smells up from the tank below. If it is going to be stored for an extended period of time the water may evaporate so put a tablespoon full of cooking oil on top to keep the water from evaporating.
Haven't tried the oil thing before...think it might be better than baking soda?

We have one more trick when at the dumpstation (as we don't have any fancy flush built in). Use a 5 gal bucket & after dumping go ahead & dump another 4 gal of water down the open toilet bowl ... really breaks up any solids quickly & allows us to 'clean ' the black tank before we head home each time.

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:30 PM   #24

I had the same problem after the first time we camped. As the dealer they gave me some lame excuse. After it got so bad I started looking around I found brown fluid in the cavity on the back side of the toilet. I call the manufacturer the lady as for the serial number and told me it was a defective toilet. She send me a new one. The only thing I regret was should have upgraded to a porcelain.
rebryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
Haven't tried the oil thing before...think it might be better than baking soda?

I do not see how baking soda in the water would prevent it from evaporating. The idea of the water is the same as in the P traps in yo house. The weight of the water prevents the air from rising into the camper.

We have one more trick when at the dumpstation (as we don't have any fancy flush built in). Use a 5 gal bucket & after dumping go ahead & dump another 4 gal of water down the open toilet bowl ... really breaks up any solids quickly & allows us to 'clean ' the black tank before we head home each time.
We did the same in our previous camper. Pus we put in 5 gallons of water when completely done flushing so it would slosh around and help keep everything there loose enough to not harden up. Left it in til next camping trip.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvdixie View Post
For the last two years I have used a capful of laundry detergent, a capful of Calgon water softener and about 1/4 cup of bleach every time I dump. Supposedly the Calgon makes the sides of the tank slippery so that paper doesn't stick to it so easily. I'm not going to attempt to explain the chemical reactions etc. but I can tell you it works and we full time for at least 5 months of the year. Occasionally I will get a bad reading from the sensors in the tank in which case I drive from one location to another with a half tank or more and let it slosh around. Does the trick every time. We also have a tank rinse built in which I use every time we dump. I also have a Valterra reverse flush unit which I used every couple of months, which goes on where the sewer hose would normally be hooked up and reverse flush all my tanks. I have had virtually no problem with any of my tanks using this system.
Search GEO Method !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:04 AM   #27

Cooking Oil for storage,,, Sounds like a GREAT Idea !!!
Thanks Douglas !!!
Old 07-01-2017, 08:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
Hello all, let me start by saying this is my first camper with a toilet so I'm still learning. Here's my problem.

We went camping about a month ago and used the toilet no problem. Dumped the tank before were left for home. Today I was getting the trailer ready for our trip this week and noticed the toilet had an odor. So I stepped on the lever and a nasty odor got me. So am I doing something wrong? Should I be putting water in the black tank when it's parked for a while? Should I put an additive in the black tank? Should I keep some water in the bowl over the seal?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Not sure what unit you have,,, but with the old TT we had the only way I could get toilet & black tank clean was to use a Toilet Wand !!! Our Sunseeker seams to flush very well by it self,,, maybe helped by the GEO ???