Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2019, 06:25 AM   #1

Toilet won't hold water

Not sure if there is an easy fix.My toilet does not seal now. It will not hold water in the bowl. Is there an easy fix or need a new toilet?
bkauffman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:01 AM   #2

Check to make sure seal is seated properly....(wearing a glove)...step on the foot pedal and let it "Snap" back a couple times to make sure the flapper is closing all the way. Lubrication is also an option. Vaseline has severed me well since 2008. Two TT's that over time would not hold water. Opened the flapper and applied Vaseline all around seal....(While wearing a Glove) and in the spring, the RV anti-freeze that I poured in for winterizing in the fall is still there.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:02 AM   #3
"On the road again"

What brand do you have? I had a Dometic once that ceased to hold water and I replaced a ball seal and that fixed the problem. Here's a link to a video on that subject:

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #4

I used Dawn and about a gallon of straight hot water in the bowl and let sit overnight. Cleaned the bowl,valve and now it holds water just fine. Seams to happen when it sits for a while with lack of use.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:52 AM   #5

I have a cranky foot pedal. when not pushed just right it actually starts to open seal a little and you cant fill it unless you get it in just the right spot to turn on water but not open valve.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:58 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

As others have said, the seal will dry out some, especially when sitting and the water evaporates off the top of the seal. When storing for extended periods, I usually add some holding tank deodorizer to each bowl along with a little extra water and have never had a problem with seals.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
As others have said, the seal will dry out some, especially when sitting and the water evaporates off the top of the seal. When storing for extended periods, I usually add some holding tank deodorizer to each bowl along with a little extra water and have never had a problem with seals.
I swipe a gallon of my wife's cooking oil once in a while. I use it with little water and have never had a seal problem. It does not evaporate like water.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I swipe a gallon of my wife's cooking oil once in a while. I use it with little water and have never had a seal problem. It does not evaporate like water.
Hope you don't let her cook with it once your done.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Check to make sure seal is seated properly....(wearing a glove)...step on the foot pedal and let it "Snap" back a couple times to make sure the flapper is closing all the way. Lubrication is also an option. Vaseline has severed me well since 2008. Two TT's that over time would not hold water. Opened the flapper and applied Vaseline all around seal....(While wearing a Glove) and in the spring, the RV anti-freeze that I poured in for winterizing in the fall is still there.
We have tried vaseline, silicone plumbers grease, and olive oil, and in comparison this stuff from Tetford works like a charm. http://https://www.thetford.com/prod...d-conditioner/
Zeke (the Partipoodle) 8 yrs, Ginger (standard poodle) 7 mos - both rescues
Cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #10

I put on my rubber gloves and give it a scrub with a brush around the opening, works every time. Easy and cheap.
Threegaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:45 PM   #11

We had the same problem and tried all of the suggestions....came to find that we had a hairline crack in the flapper. If you try everything...look closely to see if there's a crack. Under warranty, so we got a new toilet.
Member Travel Resorts of America
Retired and adventurous!
Bbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:57 PM   #12

Toilet Seal

I purchase the Thetford toilet seal conditioner and once a month pour it into the bowl to sit overnight. Never had a problem this way...
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:57 AM   #13

Toilet won't hold water

About once a month I have to turn water off, hold foot on peddle, wipe bottom of seal dry, and smear some plumbers grease under seal. Works every time.
jdkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkbrooks View Post
About once a month I have to turn water off, hold foot on peddle, wipe bottom of seal dry, and smear some plumbers grease under seal. Works every time.
2X on the plumbers grease.

I also make sure there is always water in the bowl.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water