Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #1

Question Tote -n- stor tank question

I have a 2012 Micro Lite 25DS with a 25Gal Tote -n- Stor tank. On our week long trip to Port St. Joe State Park last week I had my first opportunity to use the tank. I found that the sewer hook up on the camper is lower than the hook up point on the Tote -n- Stor. Took about 30 Min. to drain the black tank because once the level got too low to rush into the tank I had to lift the hose to "scoop" the stuff in the pipe into the tank. I am very new to camping with my own family and TT, and would love to hear of some trick or mod to help me with this. Because as you know s#%t doesn't flow up hill.
Thanks.
RR
Redrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Looking at the floorplan is the sewer connection near the back of the camper? Was the site unlevel front to back that caused the sewer connection to be lower than normal? Could you drop the front of the camper to raise the serwer connection at the rear to improve drainage into the tote.

I'm surprised that with a 30 gal black tank that you'd need to empty it before 7 days. We get about 10 - 12 days with our 38 gal and we always put 5 gal of water in it after dumping with detergent and water softener. I try to use the tote only for gray water.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
Always Learning

Dave- my family will fill both of our black tanks in 4-6 days and they're advertised at 42 gallons. I can assume every 3rd day when the inlaws are with us.

I'm always amazed when people say they can go 10 days...
Old 05-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
Site Team

all i can say is WOW! the 2 of us can go weeks without emptying our 30 gallon black tank. we just wait for a convenient time to stop at a dump station.
you guys must be using a huge amount of water to fill that tank up that fast.

i NEVER use my blue tote for black water, only gray water. there's no need to drag a rolling turd bomb around the campground.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
all i can say is WOW! the 2 of us can go weeks without emptying our 30 gallon black tank. we just wait for a convenient time to stop at a dump station.

i NEVER use my blue tote for black water, only gray water. there's no need to drag a rolling turd bomb around the campground.
Truth be told, we're a family of 3 since the baby is in diapers!

Not only that- each bathroom is tied to its own 42-gallon black tank. Though hers also handles the sink back there and she's not light on water.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #6
Oklahoma Proud

We also fill our 42 gal. Black tank in 3-4 days with 4-5 people using it. And yes we use TONS of water in it- I don't want solids to stick

I thing I would position my trailer closer to the edge of the pad or somewhere where the altitude of the tote- trailer would be more condusive to draining the tank.

- I've heard the theorys on not using totes for black, but I've never been anywhere (that didn't have full hookups) that cared if you trickled your gray water (we usually do it overnight) so I'm inclined to use it for black water on extended stays if needed.
-Thus far I've only used it for flushing at the house and toting to a cleanout.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
Denver, CO

I can believe it. My previous 5er was pretty close to that. Only choices are to:

Get one of those masticator pump things. AND PUMP IT UPHILL.

Change the height of the camper by flipping the axles, or adding blocks.

Dig a big hole for the tote.

Reconfigure the sewer plumbing if possible.

Live with ewwww.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:41 PM   #8
Engineer of Crazy Train

Damn, I always use the campground facilities to drop my deuces, unless it is very inconvenient to do so, like heavy rain. I can go a while on 30 gallons.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #9

I had the same problem, back in the day when I had a bumper pull trailer. Even after I flipped the axles it did not raise the camper enough to fully solve the problem at all campgrounds. Here was my solution... I would hook up to the side drain port, instead of the top fill port. With this configuration there was enough pressure from the trailer tank to force contents into the tote. However, you have to be careful and stop early to ensure you can get the contents of the hose to feed into the tank. You have to close the trailer valve, then disconnect the hose from the trailer and hold the hose up high (think the movie RV), then get someone to close the tank gate. The hose will not be 100% empty, so you cannot take the hose loose from the side of the tote. I would just then attach the open end of the hose to the top of the tote to create a loop, tie the hose so it did not drag and head for the dump station. A few times there was enough slope, beside the camping pad, to lift the side of the tote enough to get the hose empty and close the gate. It was not the perfect solution, but it did work. Be very careful with your content filled hose, you do not want it to drag on the road and get a hole, or snag on anything and rip, or pull off the tote, any of these situations will cause a crappy clean-up.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #10

I wish I had thought of that ! Because you are exactly spot on ! Had to raise the front about 8 - 10 inches from hitch height to get to level.
One of the DW's Conditions for getting the TT was that she could use the TT Pot any time she wanted.(She is making a point of it), maybe I should get her to help me a few times with dumping and she would change her mind! (NAH!) The gray tank is a non issue---I use the small Hose hook up for that with no problems.

Thanks - RR
Redrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #11

Poo does not flow up hill.