Old 11-29-2017, 10:29 AM   #1

Towing with Tanks full or nearly full.

I have a question about towing with holding tanks and fresh tank full or nearly full. I have owned RV's for 25 years and have towed several times with the fresh tank full, and have also towed with holding tanks full when no dump station was available. I have never had a dealership or sales person say you can not tow when tanks are full. That to me would defeat the purpose.

The reason I am asking is because I recently moved my son's rv from Texas to North Carolina and we hit a bump on a bridge in Louisiana and the black tank fell out. The RV is a 2017 and just over a year old by a month. We thought we had emptied the tanks but in the process of getting on the road I guess we forgot the black tank. But I don't feel that should make a difference.

This is a 2017 Salem Hemisphere 311QB

Looking for imput on this.

gsgrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:36 AM   #2
Prime Member

Chalk is up to shoddy workmanship. Adding additional support to all your tanks might not be a bad idea.

Temporarily Camper-Less
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax

Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:21 PM   #3
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

There has been a few posts about tanks sagging or worse, falling out. Here's one of the other latest threads.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...1<br /> <br />
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:31 PM   #4

Yeah, it is likely poor construction but on the other hand to give you an example, if we would travel with all full tanks we would add 1800 lbs to the weight of our trailer, so for us it's a big NO NO.
Sagging or dropping out tanks are a regular topic on the forum, it happens more than you'd think.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #5

We dry camp almost 100% of the time, so traveling with full tanks is an absolute necessity. We do try and find dumps stations as soon as possible to lighten the load. I would think twice about owning an Rv that wasn't built well enough to hold the weight of the tanks running down the road. We are on our third trailer from three different manufactures and have never had an issue. In fact I never even thought about this being an issue until I saw it on this site.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:08 PM   #6

A lot of posts here on FW tanks sagging or falling but the 1st of seen of any other. A BW tank would be a crappy �� Situation.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:51 PM   #7
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Or a GOLDEN opportunity to reinforce it.....
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:02 PM   #8
Scoundrel

After reworking the supports for my FW tank I thought I was done. Now I think I'll reinforce my black and grey tank supports as well.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:27 PM   #9

First thing I do on every new camper I purchase is to reinforce all of the tanks so I can tow with them 100% full. Second thing I do is dump the ST tires and get larger L/T tires with new larger size wheels to eliminate risk of tire blowing up. Doing both so far has results in a worry free RV ownership experience.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #10

I have a 2017 Wildwood Heritage Glen, and I filled the fresh water tank at the filling station and then moved about 30 sites to my site for the weekend. The fresh water tank overloaded the braces and fell down in the 5 minute trek. The belly pan and the electrical was the only thing that stopped it from hitting the ground.

I had on-site service sent over through the Coach-Net. And the service people re-installed the tank, and then drilled and bolted the braces into place. The ends of the two braces had only been tack welded at the factory, and 2 of the weld had not penetrated at all. They had me fixed up before it was time to leave.

At home I rechecked everything and reinforced and sealed the belly pan
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #11
Site Team

Had a Rockwood and now have a TracerAir.
We nearly always travel with a full tank since we usually dry camp.
Never any issues.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:47 PM   #12
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

The one issue we had with a full grey tank was the waste sloshing back up into the shower pan due to my poor driving habits.

The problem was solved with a piece of painters tape over the shower drain hole which was removed when we dumped the tank.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:20 AM   #13
MCTroy

We rarely tow with full tanks and then it would only be fresh water for a trip to a state park. No problems so far with our 2015 Windjammer. I am wondering if it is worth the effort to take down the full under belly cover to check the tanks? We would risk cutting it or not getting it put back up correctly. DH and I are only fair at bring handy at things like this.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:34 AM   #14

Quote:
I am wondering if it is worth the effort to take down the full under belly cover to check the tanks?
I wonder the same thing. Although I haven't towed with full tanks with the current trailer, I did it more than once back when I owned a hybrid. A couple of times I towed with a nearly full black tank from north of San Antonio to a rest stop in Mississippi that had dump stations. I'm pretty handy, but it seems like it would be a pain to drop the belly covers. Plus I'm not as young as I once was.
dlwilliams48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:11 AM   #15

Our V-Lite has the Covered underbelly,the F/W tank is in the Rear and it was cut by a Body Grinder wheel "Somehow"? First time filling F/W it ran onto the belly,so I had to remove the Elect.Stablizers and the Belly cover on the rear 10' of the frame to see what the water issue was! Took Pics. and sent to a dealer "Not the Selling Dealer" and they contacted F/R with Pics and S/N of unit. F/R sent new tank and heat pads for the "F/W Tank" as they can't be reused! I put everything back together and when the Dealer called that the parts were in we took the unit over and they installed everything,No hassle at all! Much later "Years" the flex hose that supplies the Rear Bedroom came off at the Bathroom connection,Belly Cover removed by F/R Techs. and installed New hose! A few years later the Front Kitchen tank Fell down on the Belly cover,hanging and leaking by the vent and drain pipes,I cut a 3 sided flap door and there laid the Cross support that was Never installed,just laying on top side of cover! F/R Techs had a Big job fixing that,but acknowledged it was Not installed at the Factory and fixed everything! I know if a person is going to drop a belly cover you will need Help or floor jacks and 2x4s to hold everything UP in place while you install all the retainers! Youroo!!
Old 12-05-2017, 04:04 PM   #16

You need to report this to SaferCar.gov. If they do not get reports of dropping tanks, they cannot force a recall.

Frank

FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, towing