Old 08-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #1

Trouble lighting water heater

I have a 2000 rockwood roo and can not light the propane hot water heater. I followed instructions listed there on the unit 1reset button down 2 turn to pilot 3 to on after ignition . problem is no ignition because there is no delivery of propane fuel to light. The tanks are up with fuel and both valves are open but still nothing flowing to unit. no smell even. what could I be overlooking ? any help greatly appreciated . Thank you . Jim in Canada

Old 08-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #2

Sorry I should have added that . this unit does not have electric ignition and has to be lit by hand with a flame . thanks Jim

Old 08-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jim,
Is this a Suburban water heater? Maybe model SW3P or SW6P?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #4

Do your stove burners light ok?
Old 08-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmacgillivray View Post
I have a 2000 rockwood roo and can not light the propane hot water heater. I followed instructions listed there on the unit 1reset button down 2 turn to pilot 3 to on after ignition . problem is no ignition because there is no delivery of propane fuel to light. The tanks are up with fuel and both valves are open but still nothing flowing to unit. no smell even. what could I be overlooking ? any help greatly appreciated . Thank you . Jim in Canada
1) make sure that you have gas and and flame at your stove.... when you do...turn off your stove

2) go out to water heater and turn the knob to 'pilot'
Can you get your pilot light to light and stay on?

3) If the pilot stays on and burns good and does not go out when you turn it to the 'on'..... but the main burner does not come on... You have an issue with the tubing there imo.

4) if the pilot is coming on and staying on and nothing else, when it is turned to 'on'. It may be time to get someone on site that can go over this slowly and professionally. Gas and fire are not a good combination to mess with if not taken apart and cleaned and put back together correctly.

If the propane doesn't light at all when the water heater is set up for use, then it could be due to storage of the unit. Sometimes the air in the propane line takes awhile to bleed out. Also, the jet that the propane comes through to be lit can sometimes get clogged. Cleaning it out could solve the problem. If the pilot light is lit by an electronic connection, checking the wires could find a loose connection. If all else fails, a repairman may be needed.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #6

If above does not work remove the couple of screws that allow you to remove the final bend in the propane delivery to the burn tube. It will be like the lower brass bend in this picture. From experience I'll bet there's a spiders nest in there blocking the flow of propane. Maybe even one each end. Maybe it's possible to push something in there to clear it without removal. Try it

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-60752024.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	38751
5erDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #7

I would bet you are correct 5erDriver. Several years ago I had an Attwood water heater and had to clean the spider nest out of it almost every time we went out. Camping World carries a brush on a long spring just for that very job. Looks almost like a chimney sweep brush. Works great!!
2015 Ford F250 4X4, 6.7 PSD
Pullrite Slider Hitch
jonandjolene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #8

Reply to all and thank you all for the very prompt reply. The stove works Barry , thanks . I shall try cleaning out the delivery ? tubes at the burned re: the spiders nest possible blockage and will post the model and # of burner type. Much thanks to all , bye for now. Jim