Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #1

Trying to fill fresh water tank from container

What do I use to fill my fresh water tank without using a water hose. I have a container but I need something to get it into the hole.
gsalsa06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't tried it yet, but based on something I read on here in another thread I picked up one of these for that situation:

Self-Priming Drill Pump | Princess Auto
Old 05-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #3

Walmart or Amazon etc have this jug. The spout fits perfectly in the fresh water fill and seals. Stick it in and pull the vent plug on the jug and it's like a NASCAR gas can. Not quite that fast but it drains quickly.

Ozark Trail Desert Patrol 6-Gal Water Jug: Camping : Walmart.com

Gaffer222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsalsa06 View Post
What do I use to fill my fresh water tank without using a water hose. I have a container but I need something to get it into the hole.

What are you filling? Mine requires pressure and can't be filled by pouring in. I use a 12v pump off my batteries and 4 six gallon jugs. I also use a water thief that fits over the faucet style campground water faucet and a long long hose.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #5

I believe he was referring to, as was I, the fresh water gravity fill inlet. Some campers don't have this and have to have water pressure to fill the tank. Sounds like that's what you have. That would be an issue for us when dry camping as the wife and daughters drain the fresh water in a day. Would need some kind of auxiliary pump for that.

Gaffer222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

I use the 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon Spring water bottles from the home store.

I fashioned an expedient fill spout out of the original cap and some vinyl hose.

I drilled a small hole in the outer plastic but did not penetrate the inner foam gasket. This allows quick dumping without much spillage.

There is nothing so permanent than that which is temporary.
I still use that filler when we boondock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3024.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	51817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3028.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	51818   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3027.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	51819  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
WFD

Wow Herk....great idea, I never thought of that, we have a few of those bottles around the house...guess I am off to Home Depot today to seek out some tubing to fit!!! Thinking the tube off the Camco water filler may even fit.

Rick
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #8

I made this hook to fit this funnel which I bought because it has caps. I fill with a 5 gallon collapsible water bag.

Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:04 PM   #9

My clipper coachmen has that fresh water inlet on the exterior of trailer so I don't think it needs any pressure?? I had some difficulty with a regular oil funnel. I think I need to use a funnel with a hose like pictured above. I already bought a blue coleman jug that just has a small spout but may need to invest in the one from walmart. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #10

Twisty, where did you get your green funnel?
Old 05-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #11

use a transmission funnel cheap at the auto parts store.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #12
Denver, CO

My camper requires pressure or at least some significant elevation to get water in and it has a hose fitting as the inlet. Bought a 12 RV pump on surplus and put leads on it and just clip it to the battery. I carry a 40 gal bladder tank and fill that up and then pump from it into my fresh water tank.

Bottomdollarsurplusinc has them for about $10 plus shipping.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsalsa06 View Post
Twisty, where did you get your green funnel?
I'm pretty sure that this is the one.

Amazon.com: WirthCo 32140 Funnel king Green Capped Funnel - 1-1/2 Quart Capacity: Automotive
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
Twisty, make sure you take one to Goshen for FT Turbs to use for the beer tasting night.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #15

Harbor freight get a drill pump for $4 and use your drill to pump the water out of the jug .
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #16

My Salem Hemisphere also has the hose fitting at the fresh water inlet. With no pressure water available to fill the tank, I have added a brass fitting to the exit of my water jug. I can then attach a hose from the jug to the trailer inlet. I must then elevate the jug to produce pressure to fill the water tank. it's all lot more complicated than the old trailer where I could just dump the water in through the open trailer inlet.

'
Obrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrieri View Post
My Salem Hemisphere also has the hose fitting at the fresh water inlet. With no pressure water available to fill the tank, I have added a brass fitting to the exit of my water jug. I can then attach a hose from the jug to the trailer inlet. I must then elevate the jug to produce pressure to fill the water tank. it's all lot more complicated than the old trailer where I could just dump the water in through the open trailer inlet.

'
As i just said go to harbor freight use the drill pump and a short hose pump.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
As i just said go to harbor freight use the drill pump and a short hose pump.
Just be careful with some of these plastic funnels and pumps if they are not food grade, they may contain chemicals such as lead (especially the China ones) in the metal, and in the plastic components. Probably OK to wash in, but not drink - especially for children. Bottled water for drinking may be better anyway. Something to think about, though.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
Just be careful with some of these plastic funnels and pumps if they are not food grade, they may contain chemicals such as lead (especially the China ones) in the metal, and in the plastic components. Probably OK to wash in, but not drink - especially for children. Bottled water for drinking may be better anyway. Something to think about, though.
My FW tank feeds through the onboard filter so I'm not too worried about it. Places I go where you need to fill the tank are usually on well water anyways, so little extra leaching is not going to be big deal. Besides, you probably leach more in whatever container you use to transport the water to your site than you get from the fractions of a second they're in contact with the pump/funnel.

But I agree with the drinking. We use bottled water for that with or without hookups. The FW or city water connection is only used for cooking, washing, showers, etc...
Old 05-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
My FW tank feeds through the onboard filter so I'm not too worried about it. Places I go where you need to fill the tank are usually on well water anyways, so little extra leaching is not going to be big deal. Besides, you probably leach more in whatever container you use to transport the water to your site than you get from the fractions of a second they're in contact with the pump/funnel.

But I agree with the drinking. We use bottled water for that with or without hookups. The FW or city water connection is only used for cooking, washing, showers, etc...
I agree. We use bottled water as well for drinking all the time, even though we sanitize our tanks every year. Most filters won't get the lead out (and some other chemicals) but, I can remember as kids (and adults before we knew better) drinking out of the garden hose and not thinking anything about it. Most of those are now considered unsafe for drinking. Just checked last year on a Y connector in the garden dept. (green plastic and very nice) and the company manufacturing it said it was not intended for drinking water. It would have been perfect for the hookup. Oh, well.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank