Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #1

Trying to identify what this hose is

We have a 2017 Heritage Glen 300BH. I am connected to city water, and have no water in my fresh tank. I noticed there is constantly a trickle of water coming from the hose pictured below. Any idea what this is for (AC is not on)? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0045.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	469.7 KB
ID:	166606  
gentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentz View Post
We have a 2017 Heritage Glen 300BH. I am connected to city water, and have no water in my fresh tank. I noticed there is constantly a trickle of water coming from the hose pictured below. Any idea what this is for (AC is not on)? Thanks!
the one on the left with the valve is the Freshwater tank drain. The one on the right with no valve is the freshwater tank overflow drain. looks like your pump check valve may be leaking and filling your fresh tank. Open the valve and see if there is infact water in it.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
Site Team

It looks like the one on the left is the FW tank drain and the one on the right is the FW tank overflow/vent. It is possible that the back flow valve in the pump is not properly seated and is allowing water to trickle into the FW tank and filling it so it overflows. If this is the case do the following

Turn off city water'
Turn on any faucet and allow to run until there is no flow.
Turn off faucet.
Turn on water pump and open faucet and let it run for 30 sec.
Shut off water and allow pump to run until it stops on its own
turn off water pump
turn on city water.
You should be good to go as this should reseat the back flow valve in the pump

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:04 PM   #4

Thanks for the information! My fresh tank was filling up
Old 03-30-2018, 01:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks for the information! My fresh tank was filling up
Are you using a water pressure regulator. Some city water has high pressure and the back pressure valve will leak do to to much pressure. When using city water always use a regulator.
lbartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:02 PM   #6

Yes. I am using a regulator. Unfortunately, the fresh water tank continues to fill even when I did the other recommendations
Old 03-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #7

great answer
bushdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Yes. I am using a regulator. Unfortunately, the fresh water tank continues to fill even when I did the other recommendations
Take the pump apart and clean it. you can also buy a rebuild kit.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Take the pump apart and clean it. you can also buy a rebuild kit.
It's a 2017, I would check if it would be a warranty repair first. Shouldn't need to be rebuilt already.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:22 PM   #10
Censored Member

Before you start disassembling the water pump, disconnect your fresh water hose from the trailer and then turn on the water pump and use it. Turn the water on and off to exercise the pump. Now turn the pump off and reconnect your water hose. In many cases it is just a stuck backflow valve and running the pump fixes the issue.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:22 PM   #11

I made the mistake of using too much pressure on an adjustable pressure valve and blew out the check valve also known as a back flow preventer , simple fix was disconnect the hose to the tank ( after turning off city water and lowering the pressure) then unscrew the check valve and replace, use Teflon tape on the threads reconnect the hose from the tank turn on the city water and check for leaks.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:38 PM   #12
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin and Jan with Ziva View Post
I made the mistake of using too much pressure on an adjustable pressure valve and blew out the check valve also known as a back flow preventer , simple fix was disconnect the hose to the tank ( after turning off city water and lowering the pressure) then unscrew the check valve and replace, use Teflon tape on the threads reconnect the hose from the tank turn on the city water and check for leaks.
That's the sort of info we need at the end of a problem. Thanks.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:56 PM   #13

I contacted the dealership, since I haven't owned the camper even a full year. I was talking to them about the check valve, and the repairman told me there was no way the fresh tank was filling as a result of the water pump. I looked and the pump is a Shurflo Revolution pump 4008-101-A65 I don't see the check valve located in the diagram from the user manual. I'm supposed to call the dealership back tomorrow am. They wanted me to drain the fresh tank, and then connect City water again. Since everyone is posting about the check valve, I would think it is that.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:28 PM   #14

I had the same problem you did and the steps in post #3 resolved it for me. I was using a good adjustable pressure regulator as well.

If the repairman told you there was no way the city water hook up would fill your fresh water tank I wouldn't want them working on my trailer. Seems the people here know more about the plumbing than the dealers do. It explains why trailers are in for warrenty work for months.

Worst case you can simply put a ball valve in front of the pump and flip it manually when changing to the tank. Thats a $5 sharkbite connector and a pipe cut. You could always do another check valve instead. Cheaper than rebuilding or replacing the pump...and no waiting months on the dealer. If your warrenty is still good end of season have them take their time then and don't pay for storage.

You could also get PREapproved for an rv tech to come out and complete the work. They are way better than dealers usually.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:08 PM   #15
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
I had the same problem you did and the steps in post #3 resolved it for me. I was using a good adjustable pressure regulator as well.

If the repairman told you there was no way the city water hook up would fill your fresh water tank I wouldn't want them working on my trailer. Seems the people here know more about the plumbing than the dealers do. It explains why trailers are in for warrenty work for months.

Worst case you can simply put a ball valve in front of the pump and flip it manually when changing to the tank. Thats a $5 sharkbite connector and a pipe cut. You could always do another check valve instead. Cheaper than rebuilding or replacing the pump...and no waiting months on the dealer. If your warrenty is still good end of season have them take their time then and don't pay for storage.

You could also get PREapproved for an rv tech to come out and complete the work. They are way better than dealers usually.
Sensible ideas here. We also used the repair centre to 'store' our unit, for the 4 months it sat there waiting for them to complete the fresh tank replacement job. It was just a shame that we had intended to do a trip at the start of the time period, the tank failure stopped that idea.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:40 AM   #16

Good job, cavie and flybob!
This is why I read FR forum posts everyday. Always learning something.
Rugman1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:43 AM   #17

Quote:
I contacted the dealership, since I haven't owned the camper even a full year. I was talking to them about the check valve, and the repairman told me there was no way the fresh tank was filling as a result of the water pump. I looked and the pump is a Shurflo Revolution pump 4008-101-A65 I don't see the check valve located in the diagram from the user manual. I'm supposed to call the dealership back tomorrow am. They wanted me to drain the fresh tank, and then connect City water again. Since everyone is posting about the check valve, I would think it is that.
The description does include the check valve. I did not see where in the manual either but it would be close to the output.

SHURFLO 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XM5G70..._h25VAbF0FTF2F

"This pump can run dry wtihout damage and contains a built-in check valve"

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out in case we have the same problem.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:09 AM   #18

Quote:
order the repair kit and be done with the whole thing in about 1 hour.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:28 AM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin and Jan with Ziva View Post
I hate to derail this thread but was this check valve in the hose from the tank to the pump factory installed?

I've never seen one plumbed in from the factory. We've had many reports here of mods where they were added (when the pump's check valve failed) but this is the first I've seen it reported otherwise.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:49 AM   #20

Temporary fix

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post. This morning I removed the water line from the water pump, and replaced with a cap. I posted pics below. My fresh water tank is no longer filling up, so I’m going to remove the pump and take it back to the dealership (camper is less than a year old - warranty)
Thanks again for all of the information!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D9EE5A06-B854-4224-9123-86BF08A35C83.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	166692   Click image for larger version

Name:	1F767AA1-B9CC-422F-A925-A42556C2565E.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	354.6 KB
ID:	166693