Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #1

Turning On Hot Water Heater: 2304S with Suburban Heater

I've read through the user manual for the trailer as well as Suburban installation and operating manual. I am confused, or maybe just not smart enough to figure this out... I plan on calling Forest River tomorrow, but if somebody can reply before I shower tonight, it will save me a cold shower!

I have had my (first) trailer for 2 months, and haven't had a reason to turn on the hot water heater due to living in a hot area and cold showers are refreshing. I am hooked up to electric, and would like to run my hot water heater with just electric.... How do I do this? Do I just turn on the panel inside my trailer? Do I have to do something outside? Attached is the panel picture inside my trailer.

I had tried just turning on the electric switch outside (but nothing inside) with the LP off, and my LP Alarm sounded after about 10 minutes, so I shut it off thinking I did something wrong.

What am I doing wrong? What should I be doing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0764.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	56926  
bten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #2

Took me a while to figure this out also. The switch inside controls ONLY the propane for the water heater. The switch on the heater itself when turned on runs the heater only when plugged into hydro. You can have them both turned on if you are on electric hookup and have the propane running also to make it heat faster.

So, if you are plugged in, as you say, you need to flip the little switch on the heater itself ( bottom left side of heater kind of hidden under other stuff). That will make it run on electric. I just leave it turned on all season. If I want it to heat faster or am not hooked up to electric, then I turn on the switch at the panel also and it will use the propane, as well. On electric only it does take a while to heat up.

If you leave the switch on at the heater, be sure to turn it off when you winterize. If the electric element is tured on without any water in the heater you will fry the element in a few moments.

Do you have propane to your stove working? Not sure what the alarm would be. It seems odd. Good luck!

Tina
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:13 AM   #3
Site Team

What Tina said, with pics:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #4

It was WMTIRE who helped me figure out all this in the first place, lol. This forum is such a great resource!
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2304, heater, hot water, suburban, water, water heater