Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #1

Smile Two Plumbing Related Questions

Hello everyone. Brand new here and to RV'ing. Just spent my first weekend in my new Heritage Glenn 312QBUD. Great trip, but did come home with a couple of questions.

1) I have two gray water tanks. How do I know which drains run into which tank? My drains are kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower, and outdoor kitchen sink. I assumed the shower and kitchen sink would be highest volume and thus separate, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

2) I had almost no hot water. Outdoor temps were prob high 30's/low 40's at night into the 60's during the day. When I turned on hot water, I would get about 3-5 seconds of really hot water and then luke warm at best the rest of the time the hot faucet was on. This was with me running electric and propane. Luckily, we were at a state park with great facilities!

Thanks!
TexasAggie-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie-99 View Post
Hello everyone. Brand new here and to RV'ing. Just spent my first weekend in my new Heritage Glenn 312QBUD. Great trip, but did come home with a couple of questions.

1) I have two gray water tanks. How do I know which drains run into which tank? My drains are kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower, and outdoor kitchen sink. I assumed the shower and kitchen sink would be highest volume and thus separate, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

2) I had almost no hot water. Outdoor temps were prob high 30's/low 40's at night into the 60's during the day. When I turned on hot water, I would get about 3-5 seconds of really hot water and then luke warm at best the rest of the time the hot faucet was on. This was with me running electric and propane. Luckily, we were at a state park with great facilities!

Thanks!

Not sure how your tanks are plumbed, but what model of water heater do you have?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Did you have to bypass-------------

Did you have the hot water tank bypass set properly? There are three valves right at the back of the hotwater tank. One is for the inlet for the tank (blue, should be open) one is the outlet (red , should be open) One valve between the two lines, Should be closed.
This will route the cold water into your tank and hot water out as it is heated.
Good luck!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
daydreaming about camping

We also have 2 grey tanks. What I have discovered is that everything front of the center line of the trailer is on the front tank, everything back of that is on the rear tank. For me that puts the bathroom on the front tank, and the kitchens (inside and outside) on the rear.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #5

Open the outside drain valves on the grey water tanks. Place a small bucket under each one if you don't want the water to run out onto the ground.
Run some water from each fixture and see where it comes out. TaDa!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
Graduate Member

2) Pirit heated hose. We no longer had problems with hot water - not because the hose heats it hot, but because the hose heats it to about 50, so the hot water heater has less "distance" to cover to raise it to 90 (or whatever temp).

1) We have two also. Shower is one. Everything else is the other. Your mileage may vary as the dealership and many people on here have said that each individual RV (even same brand and model and 1-2 on the assembly line) may have slightly different plumbing/electrical/etc just because.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #7

It sounds like you have cold water mixing in with the hot. If your bypass valves are set correctly as Sid mentioned, then check to make sure the faucets at the outside shower are turned off.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #8

Thanks everyone!

herk7769 - I'll have to check on the exact model. I know it's 6 gallon with electrip and gas.

Daisy - Before posting I did read a lot of threads regarding checking the valves. I'll definitely do that. I just have to figure out where mine are! Any suggestions??

Jeep - Thanks. I think ours may be set up differently. Kitchen is in the front and shower in the back, but both appear to be on the same tank. I'll just use Twisty's solution to check for sure.

Twisty - Thanks! Common sense goes a long way.

RoadTrip - After tank-1 read full, I assumed that was the shower, and would be ok to still use the kitchen sink, but the water backed up into the bathtub while doing dishes. So I assume my kitchen sink is on the same tank as my shower.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #9

Where's your water heater located? The valves should be right there.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #10

I would guess that the valves should be at the rear of your heater, so look there first. Look on the outside of your camper for the square grill that has a little latch at the top for access to the heater.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #11

Thanks for all the responses! I'll have to dig around and see if I can find an access panel to check the valves. I assume it's somewhere on the inside of the RV since there isn't access to them from the outside panel.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #12

Did you turn on the water heater switch, Mine was on the same control panel with the water pump,Mine did the same thing until i turned on the switch ...it lites the heater in the auto mode...? IF it works like mine
Geaux is offline   Reply With Quote