Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Undersink Water Filter Replacement Element

The water filter in our Surveyor clearly had carbon in it; very heavy. Most of the replacement filters I can find are much lighter and do not have carbon in the filter. What are the pros and cons of carbon vs plain filters? Your opinions are appreciated. Thanks!
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #2

i get my filters at lowes or home depot, they are made by whirpool i believe
as for carbon or no carbon
carbon seem to take a lot of nasty taste from the water,
use em when we go to off beat places
rest of the time i use the white filter
Old 10-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #3
CampeRooo

I know this url is going to be a long read, but it's really the best one that i've found so far that describes the differences between water filter media and details some of the things to think about as you make your decision.

http://heartspring.net/water_filters_guide.html

I know that i've used the loose charcoal filters in my frig water and so long as i run the water tap for about a gallon or two before i use it, i don't taste anything coming out from the filter itself. (The product warns you about this) I don't know that i've ever used the carbon (coconut husk product) filter, so I cannot comment on this one. The filter that came in my camper when i picked it up is some kind of paper like filter, so that will get replaced next season. I know that I will be replacing my filters once a year to keep things sanitary but I think that I'm going to start out with a 1 micron or less (one millionth of a meter)filter, if i can find it (for drinking water anyway). Consider a human hair to be 100 microns, so any filter that filters down to 1 micron will keep the coodies out of our beverages. The only place that this might be a problem is with water pressure in the shower, but perhaps someone else can comment on that since next season will be my first with a camper that has a shower.

Sorry i couldn't be more help then that.

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:01 AM   #4
Site Team

I've bought carbon impregnated filter cartridges at WalMart
and Meijers and Home Depot and Lowes!
They're everywhere.
Donno why you are having trouble finding the carbon ones.

As mentioned, carbon does a good job of removing taste and odor.
Any will remove sediment.
Some will remove very fine particles but the places we camp are supposed
to have safe water and I believe they do.
I just want to remove the chlorine taste and the carbon filters usually do
a pretty good job.
My 2¢
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It must be real hit and miss out there. I went to a new Walmart Supercenter and it didn't have any filters at all. Stopped at 2 RV stores and neither had a carbon filter. I finally bought a "white" filter that filters down to 1 micron. Should be safe but could pass along water with odors I would guess.
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
Site Team

The water filters in our Wally world super center are not in the RV isle, they are
1/2 across the store in hardware.

I once went there looking for surge suppressor power strips. I walked confidently
back to electronics and yes they did have a few there. Not much selection.
On my way out I happened to go thru lighting and the isle with the extension cords
and light switches had a hole wall of different power strips of all configurations.
Go figger.

Maybe your store doesn't carry filters, maybe they are hidden in some other department.

Lowes and Home Debit er I mean Home Depot also carry them.
Good luck!
KyDan
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:33 AM   #7

A discovery I made was my 2009 Sandpiper came with a Omnifilter Undersink container, with a CCI-10-Ca WaterPur high performance Coconut Shell Carbon filter in it. We were really impressed with this filter at our seasonal spot, where we are on well water. We don't drink the water but use it for everything else. This filter did an absolute great job of taking care of any odors, etc. It says on it replace after 12 months.

Forest River accesories dot com use to sell the filter,(strangely they sell the WaterPur filter body, recomending this above filter, but don't sell it in the 10 inch) BUT I CAN NOT FIND IT ANYWHERE NOW? I have been to Lowes, Menards, Internet, haven't tried WallyWorld yet? Anyway my Omnifilter holder tells me just to use Carbon based T01series A filters, which I may just end up doing, and there a lot cheaper.
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to SSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
A discovery I made was my 2009 Sandpiper came with a Omnifilter Undersink container, with a CCI-10-Ca WaterPur high performance Coconut Shell Carbon filter in it. We were really impressed with this filter at our seasonal spot, where we are on well water. We don't drink the water but use it for everything else. This filter did an absolute great job of taking care of any odors, etc. It says on it replace after 12 months.

Forest River accesories dot com use to sell the filter,(strangely they sell the WaterPur filter body, recomending this above filter, but don't sell it in the 10 inch) BUT I CAN NOT FIND IT ANYWHERE NOW? I have been to Lowes, Menards, Internet, haven't tried WallyWorld yet? Anyway my Omnifilter holder tells me just to use Carbon based T01series A filters, which I may just end up doing, and there a lot cheaper.

I ordered my replacement cartridge straight from the manufacturer, but the only way to do it was over the phone and it was $35 with shipping. Next year I will just buy a similar one from home depot or lowes. Anyway, in case you want to order it, here's the number 1-800-540-1055
SSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:07 PM   #9
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I buy non-WaterPur filters off eBay. They seem to give me the same results as the OE filters. It's all in the type/micron really.

ebay seller is 'H20 Splash'

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote